Mark V

The Cricket Thread

Our Federal Government has anti-siphoning laws that include certain items that must be shown on free-to-air television stations in order to be allowed to be telecast on pay TV.

Test Cricket home matches are on the list as I think are Ashes away tests.

One day cricket and T20 isn’t, though I think the Australian matches are shown on a free to air channel. Foxsports has every match and I tend to watch them as their coverage and commentators are fresher and more up to date.

Other things on the list are things like The Australian Open tennis, Wimbledon, The Melbourne Cup etc.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, Kent Guitar said:

I think it is going to be a good tournament. I don't feel like there is one favourite.

It's about getting to the semis and then who knows.

I could do with more sleep though. Its pretty inconvenient that the UK plays cricket in the night. 

England have got a very good team, in English conditions I think they would beat any of the others 3 times out of 4.

The Asian teams India should reach the last 4 Pakistan are aclimatised to English conditions but I don't think they are good enough. I don't India they are capable of scoring a very big score, Dhoni isn't  scoring quickly enough but could help chase down a low total in bowler friendly conditions.

Australia if they get there act together should reach the last 4 and they have players that on their day could help them win.

New Zealand would me my other semi finalist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbonesbilly said:

England have got a very good team, in English conditions I think they would beat any of the others 3 times out of 4.

I have concerns for England. I am not sure they have beaten top teams at full strength.

They also don’t seem to have players who have won big tournaments. None have one a World Cup or World T20. Not sure about the champions trophy. Also not many Ashes winners.

With the wickets being benign, I think it means wicket taking bowling is currency. England are not strong in this regard. Australia have won 4 of the past 5 world cups. Each of those 4 have been because they have had the most potent bowling attack. It is always about taking wickets.

I predict an India vs Australia final. They have the most penetrative bowling attacks. They also have players who have shown the class under pressure to win world cups.

I know Australia don’t give a rats arse about One Day Internationals between World Cups. They rest their players and only play their strongest team at the World Cup. England have never won an ODI when Warner, Finch, Smith, Maxwell, Cummins & Starc have been against them. England have not beaten Australia in England when Starc and Cummins have played against them in 3 attempts. 

Unfortunately England folded against Pakistan against Wahab Riaz who hadn’t taken an international ODI wicket for two years. On that basis Bumrah, Shami, Starc and Cummins should send shivers through your spine. I know Michael Vaughan is petrified.

Could be wrong. Just how I see it. England might make the semis, though they didn’t last time they played it at home. But it would be good for England to win it once. It would keep it interesting. World Cups have become a bit predictable.

• Like 2

I have been 'watching' the games on the official ICC cricket app... Its not video but its live, ball for ball... Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

I have been 'watching' the games on the official ICC cricket app... Its not video but its live, ball for ball... Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

you know i used to love cricket on the radio

i think i still would

the waves of static in the middle of the night just added to the drama

i remember listening to RSA play England for the first time after the sanctions ended - it was a test i think 

• Like 2

I'm following it on the BBC website,they have text commentary on all the games & they show the wickets & various boundaries,dropped catches etc.

My eldest son is off to Cardiff today to watch England v Bangladesh,I'm hoping the weather is ok,there's alot of rain around.

He was going to England v India aswell but next week he's off to Brisbane for 4 months with work,then planning to have a holiday in NZ after that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you know i used to love cricket on the radio

i think i still would

Song for you @Daisey Jeep

11 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

Song for you @Daisey Jeep

that takes me right back to summers when i was a kid

my dad would have us helping out in the garden and he had his trusty transistor radio tuned into the cricket

somewhere i have a bunch of tour highlights from radio NZ on cassettes 

back in the day the radio commentary was far superior to tv - i know people who would watch tv with the sound off and the radio on

i always preferred us to ne fielding because i grew up in the Hadlee age . i worshiped him and every new year and Queen's birthday i would wait and wait for his knighthod 

i beleave when he finally got it the great Sir  Donald Bradman sent him his congratulations 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, balboa08 said:

Have said this earlier too, IMHO, maybe lot of people went overboard with what happened in SA. There is a very thin line between cheating and gamesmanship and rules in cricket are little vague too. Throwing the ball on the bounce everytime, applying saliva on on side,etc are also altering the condition of the ball. Why is not walking when you know you are out not cheating , as also appealing when you know someone is not out. Cant think of anyone who will come out a saint. Purely based on performance Warner is one of the most destructive opening batsmen in the world today and was always a certainty once the ban was over. As far as  Smith is concerned, he was a bit unfortunate. However, Smith's conduct in my hometown was pretty sad when during a test match against india everytime he would look at the dressing room in get a signal whether to go for a review or not. Later he admitted he had a 'brain freeze' -except that it happened more than once

wow ! 

look what your boys did last night

well done ! 

• Like 1

i feel a tad sorry fir Afghanistan but i remember when Sri Lanka used to be the crappy side (NZ has also had that honour)

i also don't like to see anyone hurt playing cricket

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup/113355324/cricket-world-cup-2019-new-zealand-captain-kane-williamson-praised-for-sportsmanship

and from a link from that article i missed this at the time

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/102618995/former-england-captain-labels-black-caps-the-benchmark-for-how-to-play-cricket im pretty shocked at sick a compliment from an Englishman

India were very inpressive yesterday..be very afraid..

and Diasy, yes I fully agree with you about Virat Kohli, I also love watching him play the game.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

wow ! 

look what your boys did last night

well done ! 

Yup, Hope we are not peaking too early

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Virat might come across as being too brash and arrogant at times but i feel he just wears his heart on his sleeve and is actually a much better guy than many who come across as being decent guys but.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

India were very inpressive yesterday..be very afraid..

and Diasy, yes I fully agree with you about Virat Kohli, I also love watching him play the game.

He is one of the very best in the last 3 or so decades. Another favorite of mine in full flow was AB Develliers, IMHO the most talented batsman i have ever seen. The trio of AB, Virat and Gayle who all played for my local franchise Royal Challengers, Bangalore in the IPL till recently(VK and AB still do) were a treat to watch - all different in their styles but three of the most destructive batsmen in the world.. We are still to win the IPL though :(

• Like 2

Not going to be much cricket this week,some places had a months worth of rain in a day yesterday,South Africa v WI abandoned after about 7 overs & not much hope for todays games.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

something secrete going on Doc ?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Not going to be much cricket this week,some places had a months worth of rain in a day yesterday,South Africa v WI abandoned after about 7 overs & not much hope for todays games.

well at least South Africa have a point  on the board now.

are we rain delayed again ?

i am going to generalize so don't take offence because im sure none of our peeps here would be so insensitive 

but you know you Brits come down here on holiday and moan your arses off if it rains for even half a day as our farmers rejoice in a well needed  break in a dry spell 

...just saying

I thought the kiwis must have taken the weather with them.

;):D

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

I thought the kiwis must have taken the weather with them.

;):D

its pissing down here 

• Sad 1