Greasy Lake Community

Does anyone know how much overdubbing had been done to Springsteen's live albums? My friend asked me as his local Bruce expert, but I wasn't really sure so I'm turning it over to the Lake. I imagine Live 75/85 had quite a bit over overdubbing done, especially with the drum sounds, but I'm not really sure about the others. (Chimes of Freedom/MTV Plugged, Live in NYC, ect) Also pretty sure there are no overdubs on the new live downloads cause he hasn't had time to do them, although maybe with the archival releases.

There was a discussion on this a while ago and a fairly hefty list was compiled. Certainly '75-'85 had a fair few. I'll see if I can search that discussion. I don't recall the title.

I think I may have asked the same question. All I vaguely remember was Backstreets and Growin Up had parts taken out and War had a different solo on the box set.

4 hours ago, lofgrenfan said:

All I vaguely remember was Backstreets and Growin Up had parts taken out

And wisely so. I believe a lot of what Bruce does on stage works live at the time but becomes a bit ponderous upon repeated listenings.  But of course that's really a different discussion that overdubs.

16 hours ago, USAman said:

War had a different solo?

I think so.....I could be wrong! Got a feeling I've read that if you listen to the boot of the show it's taken from, Nils plays a different solo.

I reckon the majority of the overdubs on Live 75/85 will be fixing bum notes and missed beats rather than re-recording entire sections... and I'm fairly sure there's a shitload of those little fixes on that box set... 

But it sounds incredible, so who cares!

Yeah I'm fairly sure they are. I remember one post stated that the sax solo in hungry heart is an overdub. No idea if that's true. 

The "bye bye New Jersey we were airborne" bit is a bit of a clever overdub too. 

I remember the other thread The Calvary is referring to, and indeed the live box set overdubs were discussed in length. 

Several people mentioned the guitar solo in War being an overdub, but I can't remember the specifics of why..... not sure if a guitar solo that never existed on the original was dubbed in or whether it was a correction of somthing that was missing due to recording issues or just a tidy up of a botched solo.

Other things of interest to come out of that discussion was that a "theatre" sounding audience was dubbed over the actual "arena" crowd around Sandy to make it fit with the other songs on disc 1. Also the spoken intro to Fire is from a different show to the actual song itself.

I would be interested to hear about some of the other live releases, though. All I can offer there is that Tenth Avenue on the Live In NY cd is obviously edited compared with the version on the dvd, would love to hear what others have picked up on or know about

I have participated in a few discussions through the years about this subject but it always ends up with "can you prove it?" when people claim things have been done to live recordings.

some people seem to believe nothing have been done since you cannot prove it. But noone is telling us "yes, we replaced all Max Weinbergs drums on the live box and the piano too and the bass was screwed on the old tapes so we did that as well now we were in the studio anyway."

I know that Bob Clearmountain mixed the live 75/85 box. He was, and is, known for drum replacement. Even back in the mid 80s. The drum sound on the box is spectacular even throughout the years no matter what drums being played, how they were recorded they sound excately the same.

IMO all drums on the box have been replaced by samples.

the same goes for the recent Tempe release   The drum sound on New Years Eve '80, mixed by Toby Scott and Tempe, mixed by Clearmountain, is night and day. Toby Scott is definately no Bob Clearmountain, noone are, but something's been done IMO.

Clearmountain have said in an interview that people would be surprised if they knew artists spend weeks in studios redoing live recordings.

he also got fired from Use Your Illusion with Guns n'Roses when they found out he was about to replace all drums with samples.

in the live box booklet 4 studios is mentioned in the liner notes for "additinal recordings."

the solo in War apparently never was played in the original live version. The solo in Because The Night is not the one played that night.

I bet it's fair to say that no live release is untouched. That doesn't make it a problem. I feel it's OK, to some extend, to fix a few bum notes here and there or redoing something wrong on the "tape." A lot of small things can be wrong ona recording: a fewbars missing of the bass, or the piano was distorted on the tape and so one.

Looking forward to the usual responces how Bruce is the real thing and he doesn't do studio tricks on his live recordings.

2 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I have participated in a few discussions through the years about this subject but it always ends up with "can you prove it?" when people claim things have been done to live recordings.

some people seem to believe nothing have been done since you cannot prove it. But noone is telling us "yes, we replaced all Max Weinbergs drums on the live box and the piano too and the bass was screwed on the old tapes so we did that as well now we were in the studio anyway."

I know that Bob Clearmountain mixed the live 75/85 box. He was, and is, known for drum replacement. Even back in the mid 80s. The drum sound on the box is spectacular even throughout the years no matter what drums being played, how they were recorded they sound excately the same.

IMO all drums on the box have been replaced by samples.

the same goes for the recent Tempe release   The drum sound on New Years Eve '80, mixed by Toby Scott and Tempe, mixed by Clearmountain, is night and day. Toby Scott is definately no Bob Clearmountain, noone are, but something's been done IMO.

Clearmountain have said in an interview that people would be surprised if they knew artists spend weeks in studios redoing live recordings.

he also got fired from Use Your Illusion with Guns n'Roses when they found out he was about to replace all drums with samples.

in the live box booklet 4 studios is mentioned in the liner notes for "additinal recordings."

the solo in War apparently never was played in the original live version. The solo in Because The Night is not the one played that night.

I bet it's fair to say that no live release is untouched. That doesn't make it a problem. I feel it's OK, to some extend, to fix a few bum notes here and there or redoing something wrong on the "tape." A lot of small things can be wrong ona recording: a fewbars missing of the bass, or the piano was distorted on the tape and so one.

Looking forward to the usual responces how Bruce is the real thing and he doesn't do studio tricks on his live recordings.

Bruce is the real thing and he doesn't do studio tricks on his live recordings. 

I liked the liner notes to Peter Gabriel's first live album: 

"Although this album was compiled from four concerts in the mid-West of the United States, some additional recording took place not a thousand miles away from the home of the artist. The generic term of this process is 'cheating'. Care has been taken to keep the essence of the gigs intact, including 'human imperfection'."

4 hours ago, LarryPlayfair said:

Hey guys - the Easter Bunny is not real either.  Almost every live album you know and love throughout classic rock history has been doctored extensively.

Not Frampton, do not say Frampton! He Comes Alive! 

The issue of the solo in War got me thinking, as I have very clear memories of Nils playing a solo in the video...went and searched out the video and whaddya know....looks like the solo was indeed overdubbed. 

The shots of Nils playing a solo are very brief and could have been spliced in from any solo shot....more telling, there is a shot late in the video with Nils singing in the background and clearly NOT playing the solo that you can hear in the music. 

Re: War solo it was said that it was added for the box set.

Also, the Badlands guitar solo from the box seems to have been re-recorded, as well as the noted Because The Night solo.

I don't dare think of the results if he were to do those overdubs today...

As far as I know, nothing was re-recorded for LINYC, plus that the vinyl release of LINYC used a different master that the CD release,

I do really miss the echo effect on the vocals on Youngstown on Live in NYC, even though it's not an overdub but rather the effect is from the mixer board probably coming after the recording, it still could've been nice to have included.

Also, a thing I've been thinking about with those War and other edits from the box, what if those are not edited, but rather that the date given in the liner notes is off? Wouldn't be the first time a printing error like that has happened, because while edits to Backstreets and such are explainable going by length, there's no reason to select a War with a botched solo when they had mutliple concert recordings of the song to choose from.

EDIT: Wow. 19 posts. Junior Member. Here I thought I was a common poster way back when. :P

I think they had only 4 recordings of War to choose from, the last 4 shows of 1985 in L.A. Too lazy to look this up on Brucebase now.

About the forementioned Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out from Live in NYC; I think I once read it was made up of recordings from both nights (last 2 nights in New York); with first part from July 1, then middle part from June 29, and then end again from July 1; or middle part from July 1 and beginning and end from June 29. Also some intros and outtros of various songs on Live In NYC were shortened or cut.

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

I think they had only 4 recordings of War to choose from, the last 4 shows of 1985 in L.A. Too lazy to look this up on Brucebase now.

About the forementioned Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out from Live in NYC; I think I once read it was made up of recordings from both nights (last 2 nights in New York); with first part from July 1, then middle part from June 29, and then end again from July 1; or middle part from July 1 and beginning and end from June 29. Also some intros and outtros of various songs on Live In NYC were shortened or cut.

I had never know that about tenth avenue, because I've only ever listened to the audio ripped straight from the DVD version. It makes sense though, because the DVD is 19 min, and the CD is 16...

Gotta go listen CD now and try to spot the differences

Archived