Greasy Lake Community

Seeking the opinions of fellow MLB fans

Long_Limp_Home92

Hey Guys,

Last MLB season I started getting into baseball after finally getting a grasp of the rules and stumbling upon some games that were uploaded by some wonderful individual on You Tube.

This offseason, when not watching the NBA, I’ve been trying to decide which MLB team to support. It’s proving more difficult than first thought.  I’d go with my gut feeling, but that keeps changing every few days.

I have managed to narrow down the list to six possible teams…

The Dodgers

The Giants

The Cubs

The O’s

The Mets

And the Rangers

FWIW, I’m not from the US and don’t live there. My ideal team would really be a club with a good culture among other things such as nice uniforms, like the Dodgers and the Rangers have. A decent roster would be agreeable and an iconic and or nice ballpark like the O’s and Giants have. Success in terms of wins is obviously great, but winning is not a major factor. That said, I don’t want to pick a team that is an eternal cellar dweller.    

Anyway,

I’d be interested in hearing the opinions and insights of fellow lakers regarding the teams listed above and their cultures. Perhaps your views may help me reach a decision.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See the Red Cap?

You will be in the Playoff's most every year. You will learn to hate the Cubs :D

The stadium is new and clean but nothing special like Wrigley Field (Cubs) There, IMO, no place like that!

The Uniform is classic, hasn't changed  must in 100 years. (except during the 80's like most teams)

Second in World Championships to the Yankees

14 Hall of Fame Players

Have fun, like I have following English Football.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

See the Red Cap?

You will be in the Playoff's most every year. You will learn to hate the Cubs :D

The stadium is new and clean but nothing special like Wrigley Field (Cubs) There, IMO, no place like that!

The Uniform is classic, hasn't changed  must in 100 years. (except during the 80's like most teams)

Second in World Championships to the Yankees

14 Hall of Fame Players

Have fun, like I have following English Football.

Thanks for your input. I sense a real disdain for the Cubs on your part :lol: I may throw the Cardinals into the mix and maybe cross the Cubs off the list.    

17 minutes ago, Long_Limp_Home92 said:

Thanks for your input. I sense a real disdain for the Cubs on your part :lol: I may throw the Cardinals into the mix and maybe cross the Cubs off the list.    

Hey, the Cubs are going to be good this year.;) They may come in second or was it third again this year. Last World Championship was 1908. And that's for real, not making that up.

I know P13 will be around soon to clear his up for you.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey, the Cubs are going to be good this year.;) They may come in second or was it third again this year. Last World Championship was 1908. And that's for real, not making that up.

I know P13 will be around soon to clear his up for you.

Yeah,I heard that somewhere else too. It sure seems like they have a strong roster. They may be able to do some real damage this season. 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Cardinals and Cubs rivalry is a lot most friendly then The Yankees and Red Sox.  

We can actually go to Wrigley and they can come to Busch and not have a problem.

Glad to hear it :lol:. Man, I'm not even that much of a knowledgeable baseball fan, but I already dislike the Yankees. Probably just because they are a "popular team". Not too keen on the Red Sox either, they seem like a "meh" team to me.

Again, that's just my very uniformed opinion.              

FWIW, I’m not from the US and don’t live there. My ideal team would really be a club with a good culture among other things such as nice uniforms, like the Dodgers and the Rangers have. A decent roster would be agreeable and an iconic and or nice ballpark like the O’s and Giants have. Success in terms of wins is obviously great, but winning is not a major factor. That said, I don’t want to pick a team that is an eternal cellar dweller.    

Well, up until your last sentence, the Cubs fit all your requirements!!:lol:

The is a long and rich history of being a Cubs fan...a history of suffering.  They have not won the World Series since 1908 and have not even been in the Series since 1945.  But for a Cubs fan, there is also a kind of twisted badge of honor that goes with that....there is a reason they are known as the Lovable Losers!

There have been so many heartaches and near-misses over the years, combined with a long history of mediocrity (at best). But again, Cubs fans find pride in that as well. 

The annual rally cry of a Cubs fan is "This could be The Year!"....except in this case, it may very well BE "The Year".  The Cubs have been rebuilding their team for the last 5 years, toiling even harder in crappiness during that time. But last year....it all started coming together. The young talent finally made it to the team and the Cubbies made the playoffs and got to the National League Championship Series (where they promptly got drubbed by the Mets). 

The shortcomings of last year have mostly been addressed (improved pitching) and all that young talent is under contract for a long time. The future is very bright right now for the Cubs. 

All of which (if you have been following along with the theme) means that there is "impending heartache" ahead....expectations have probably never been this high for a Cubs team (most pre-season rankings have them as #1), so the wise Cins fan is now just trying to figure out which way their hearts will get ripped from their chests yet again.....so that in 12 months we can once again proclaim "This could be The Year!!!"

but one year....oh, one year.....we'll be right....and it will be fucking glorious. 

B)

27 minutes ago, Power13 said:

Well, up until your last sentence, the Cubs fit all your requirements!!:lol:

The is a long and rich history of being a Cubs fan...a history of suffering.  They have not won the World Series since 1908 and have not even been in the Series since 1945.  But for a Cubs fan, there is also a kind of twisted badge of honor that goes with that....there is a reason they are known as the Lovable Losers!

There have been so many heartaches and near-misses over the years, combined with a long history of mediocrity (at best). But again, Cubs fans find pride in that as well. 

The annual rally cry of a Cubs fan is "This could be The Year!"....except in this case, it may very well BE "The Year".  The Cubs have been rebuilding their team for the last 5 years, toiling even harder in crappiness during that time. But last year....it all started coming together. The young talent finally made it to the team and the Cubbies made the playoffs and got to the National League Championship Series (where they promptly got drubbed by the Mets). 

The shortcomings of last year have mostly been addressed (improved pitching) and all that young talent is under contract for a long time. The future is very bright right now for the Cubs. 

All of which (if you have been following along with the theme) means that there is "impending heartache" ahead....expectations have probably never been this high for a Cubs team (most pre-season rankings have them as #1), so the wise Cins fan is now just trying to figure out which way their hearts will get ripped from their chests yet again.....so that in 12 months we can once again proclaim "This could be The Year!!!"

but one year....oh, one year.....we'll be right....and it will be fucking glorious. 

B)

Wow excellent insight. Appreciate it, thank you. I like what I'm hearing.  Tell me though, would it be considered bandwagon-ing if I threw my allegiances behind this club when they are in a prime position to have some serious success?     

And any opinions on the other teams I mentioned? Even if you ain't a fan of them.  

Oh, I suppose some would consider it bandwagon-ing....but really, who cares?  Hell, if anything, embrace it and admit it outright!

i was never much of s hockey fan, but the Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup 3 of the last 6 years.  When they won it in 2010, the city was in a huge buzz and Lil' Angel (aka Mrs. P13) always e joyed hockey....and I fully admired then (and now) that not only did I hop on the bandwagon, I bought a ticket in First Class!

My recommendation - read up a bit on the Cubs history, find out more and then decide. Everyone had to be a newbie fan at some point...

Decent article about the Cubbies playoff woes....

http://www.si.com/mlb/chicago-cubs-playoffs-history-misery

All of the other teams you listed will be in the mix this year, as well, so you'll face the same dilemma no matter which team you choose. Personally, I would put the O's and the Rangers near the bottom just because they are American League teams and have a designated hitter. In real baseball, the pitcher hits! 

The Cardinals are an excellent organization and you can't beat their track record of success....but I still loathe them with the white-hot intensity of 1000 suns!:P

It is going to be a tough battle with them to win the Division (and possibly the National League) this year...last year, the Cubs had the third best record in the Majors, but still only came in 3rd in the Central Divison. This year will be just as hard....

The Giants look great as well (Judge Brown will undoubted attest to their dominance shortly!) and have won the Series in 2012 & 2014 so the "even year champions" are looking forward to this year. 

My neighbor actually works for the Cubs and last year he got me and 2 of my daughters down onto the field at Wrigley...388646F8-482A-44C1-B2F4-F88B8286A724_zps

One final thought on the Cubs....Wrigley Field is one of the greatest stadiums on earth.  Watching a baseball game there is like a trip back in time. 

1 hour ago, Power13 said:

Oh, I suppose some would consider it bandwagon-ing....but really, who cares?  Hell, if anything, embrace it and admit it outright!

i was never much of s hockey fan, but the Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup 3 of the last 6 years.  When they won it in 2010, the city was in a huge buzz and Lil' Angel (aka Mrs. P13) always e joyed hockey....and I fully admired then (and now) that not only did I hop on the bandwagon, I bought a ticket in First Class!

My recommendation - read up a bit on the Cubs history, find out more and then decide. Everyone had to be a newbie fan at some point...

All of the other teams you listed will be in the mix this year, as well, so you'll face the same dilemma no matter which team you choose. Personally, I would put the O's and the Rangers near the bottom just because they are American League teams and have a designated hitter. In real baseball, the pitcher hits! 

The Cardinals are an excellent organization and you can't beat their track record of success....but I still loathe them with the white-hot intensity of 1000 suns!:P

It is going to be a tough battle with them to win the Division (and possibly the National League) this year...last year, the Cubs had the third best record in the Majors, but still only came in 3rd in the Central Divison. This year will be just as hard....

The Giants look great as well (Judge Brown will undoubted attest to their dominance shortly!) and have won the Series in 2012 & 2014 so the "even year champions" are looking forward to this year. 

My neighbor actually works for the Cubs and last year he got me and 2 of my daughters down onto the field at Wrigley...388646F8-482A-44C1-B2F4-F88B8286A724_zps

One final thought on the Cubs....Wrigley Field is one of the greatest stadiums on earth.  Watching a baseball game there is like a trip back in time. 

Wow that is cool! The Stadium sure seems like a nice one. I'll be sure  to read up on the Cubs history. Again, thanks for the help. Going to cross the O's and the Rangers off my list, not just because of the DH rule, but I'm really not "feeling" the Rangers anymore nor Baltimore that much either. Looks like it's down to a three horse race between the Cubs, Dodgers and Giants.

Off to do some more research. Will let you know if and when I make my decision.        

3 hours ago, Long_Limp_Home92 said:

Wow excellent insight. Appreciate it, thank you. I like what I'm hearing.  Tell me though, would it be considered bandwagon-ing if I threw my allegiances behind this club when they are in a prime position to have some serious success?     

And any opinions on the other teams I mentioned? Even if you ain't a fan of them.  

It wouldn't be bandwagon-ng at all. I started supporting Man City after they won their first Championship. Just because I wanted to be different then all other BPL fans here.

And P13 is totally correct there isn't another place in baseball to watch a game then Wrigley Field. We take a trip there once a year.

18 hours ago, Power13 said:

There is nothing like going to the ballgame with the whole Family. Great picture. And what a thrill for the girls I bet.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

There is nothing like going to the ballgame with the whole Family. Great picture. And what a thrill for the girls I bet.

Actually, P16 (the youngest) didn't really enjoy it...she felt like everyone was watching HER.  LOL!

But it was a great day at the park...and she now regrets not stayng down there longer. So hopefully this year we can do it again....it is kinda nice having the neighbor hook-up!!

Nothing hurts worst than a lost to the Baby Bears, but a lost in the playoff's.

I hated that match up from the start. Cubs had nothing to lose and all the pressure was on the Birds.

Even with the Cards winning 100 games last year, going into the playoff's, didn't have a great feeling. Both Pittsburgh and Chicago were fighting high and the Cards were limping in. Don't know when they changed the rule: that you couldn't play a team within your own division in the first round. That would have helped the Redbirds last year.

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Nothing hurts worst than a lost to the Baby Bears, but a lost in the playoff's.

I hated that match up from the start. Cubs had nothing to lose and all the pressure was on the Birds.

Even with the Cards winning 100 games last year, going into the playoff's, didn't have a great feeling. Both Pittsburgh and Chicago were fighting high and the Cards were limping in. Don't know when they changed the rule: that you couldn't play a team within your own division in the first round. That would have helped the Redbirds last year.

Yeah, 100 wins is damn impressive. How do you think the team will go this season?    

On February 27, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Long_Limp_Home92 said:

Watching Game 4 last night. Almost jumped out of my seat when this happened. Wow! 

YESSSS!!!!!

That ball actually ended up on top of the Budweiser sign....the Cubs put an acrylic case around it and left it up there the remainder of the playoffs (not that it was much longer...doh!)  it is down now...pretty sure it was on display during the Cubs Convention, but not certain where it currently is...I'll have to ask my neighbor  

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/kyle-schwarber-home-run-ball-wrigley-field-chicago-cubs-mlb

4 minutes ago, Power13 said:

YESSSS!!!!!

That ball actually ended up on top of the Budweiser sign....the Cubs put an acrylic case around it and left it up there the remainder of the playoffs (not that it was much longer...doh!)  it is down now...pretty sure it was on display during the Cubs Convention, but not certain where it currently is...I'll have to ask my neighbor  

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/kyle-schwarber-home-run-ball-wrigley-field-chicago-cubs-mlb

That's pretty cool!

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, Long_Limp_Home92 said:

Yeah, 100 wins is damn impressive. How do you think the team will go this season?    

You will find out as the season starts, that its all about pitching. And the Redbirds aren't that deep this year. everyone will have to stay healthy. Will have to start the season without our catcher Molina. Out for maybe the first month.

So getting though the start of the season will be key. Maybe just play 500 until Memorial Day would be good.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You will find out as the season starts, that its all about pitching. And the Redbirds aren't that deep this year. everyone will have to stay healthy. Will have to start the season without our catcher Molina. Out for maybe the first month.

So getting though the start of the season will be key. Maybe just play 500 until Memorial Day would be good.

He seems to think he will be ready for opening day...

http://fox2now.com/2016/02/28/yadier-molina-i-will-be-ready-for-opening-day/

Archived