Greasy Lake Community

Seeking the opinions of fellow MLB fans

Long_Limp_Home92

9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep your right. Now I only look at two categories. All the time. RBI's and Runs scored, if you're not scoring a run or drivin in runs, all other stats are just window dressing in my books.

1927 - Gehrig 173 RBI's 143 Run's (and that is with hitting behind Ruth, how many times did Ruth clear the bases before him)? Babe Ruth 153 RBI's and 150 Run's

1930- Gehrig 173 RBI's (not a typo) 149 Run's, Ruth 165 RBI's and 158 Run's

Quit amazing.

The trivia question I posed before - player, season, 200 hits / 40HR / 100 extra base hits / 100 RBI / 100 BB - only done by 4 players all time.

Gehrig did it twice.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JimCT said:

The trivia question I posed before - player, season, 200 hits / 40HR / 100 extra base hits / 100 RBI / 100 BB - only done by 4 players all time.

Gehrig did it twice.

What's funny about those spend sheets are, if you weren't in the starting line-up, you simply didn't play.

4 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Gehrig did it twice.

Who were the others?

Can I guess first, Joe D, and Mantle and Frank Robinson???

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Who were the others?

Can I guess first, Joe D, and Mantle and Frank Robinson???

Jimmy Double-x Foxx, Hammering Hank Greenberg, and Todd freakin' Helton -but that was in Colorado, so I'd give it an asterisk ;) 

I found another instance - Ruth, '21

13 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep your right. Now I only look at two categories. All the time. RBI's and Runs scored, if you're not scoring a run or drivin in runs, all other stats are just window dressing in my books.

1927 - Gehrig 173 RBI's 143 Run's (and that is with hitting behind Ruth, how many times did Ruth clear the bases before him)? Babe Ruth 153 RBI's and 150 Run's

1930- Gehrig 173 RBI's (not a typo) 149 Run's, Ruth 165 RBI's and 158 Run's

Quit amazing.

And in a 154-game season ;)

Now to be fair, he didn't have to face Koufax or Carlton or Randy Johnson, or Gibson or Seaver or Clemons. I wish there was some way to see them match up in their prime. I'd pay to watch that! 

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:13 AM, Long_Limp_Home92 said:

Yes indeed! The stories he tells are great. Especially for a new baseball fan such as myself.   

OK, I'll try this again, this time I quoted you to wake you up to this thread.

How are you liking the Baseball season, since your Dodgers are in first or maybe a game out?

Have you got to watch many games? Who's your favorite Player(s)?

Hey JJ. Apologies for the late response. Life has been busy as. Baseball is awesome! When I'm not watching a Dodgers game or parts of another game, I'm usually playing MLB The Show on PS4.B)

Safe to say I am very much enjoying the season, especially after seeing what we just did to the Reds. Kind of sucks that Kershaw has missed so much time. Fortunately, we have manged to keep the ship afloat. Dodger Stadium looks wonderful too. Vin Scully's stories are priceless as well.

Favorite Dodgers: Utley :D Seagar, Kenta Maeda, J.P Howell and the entire bullpen, who have really surprised me and proved me wrong since early April.  

Non Dodgers: Yo from the Mets, Robbie Cano, Nelly Cruz and McCutchen.                

In regards to the trade deadline, it's been quite a let down that Reddick hasn't done much with the bat for us yet. It was really exciting when we got him at the deadline. He was a player that I actually knew of when I first started watching bits of baseball on YouTube at the tail-end of last season- before fully getting into it this season. Hopefully he heats up soon.

It was a damn shame that we couldn't trade Puig as well. Puig (and presumably a few pieces from our farm) for Sale would have been awesome. But, oh well, an ageing vet with chronic blisters is cool too <_<         

27 minutes ago, Long_Limp_Home92 said:

In regards to the trade deadline, it's been quite a let down that Reddick hasn't done much with the bat for us yet. It was really exciting when we got him at the deadline. He was a player that I actually knew of when I first started watching bits of baseball on YouTube at the tail-end of last season- before fully getting into it this season. Hopefully he heats up soon.

It was a damn shame that we couldn't trade Puig as well. Puig (and presumably a few pieces from our farm) for Sale would have been awesome. But, oh well, an ageing vet with chronic blisters is cool too <_<         

Fun fact.  My great-grandmother was a Puig.  I've wondered if we're related!

Archived