Kay

A slight bit of paranoia, anyone?

With Bruce headed to Europe?   With all the bloodshed as of late, including the Paris attacks, concern hadn't even crossed my mind with the band headed there.  I did however have a bit of paranoia after Brussels.  Mostly I think it will be fine and terrorists win by instilling fear but some unease did creep in.  Tell me I'm being silly, fine, as it could just as well happen here and many of you will likely tell me we are more at risk of dying by gun violence, which I'll take that point coz I hate those things, but seeing as I'm a chronic worrier about most things I can't control, I did think about it.  

Am I silly or am I silly?

It's not silly. A human response I think.

I am travelling to Europe to see shows in Brussels and Paris. And I will be a tad wary.

But what can you do?

If you live your life fearing the worst, you'll never leave home.

Is the risk higher than being in a traffic accident? plane crash? getting really sick?

And more folks in the US are dying due to gun violence than any acts of terrorism.

There are some big concert tours happening in Europe this summer, plus the Euro 2016 tournament (in France of all places), so the security services will have their work cut out for them. 

• Like 1

It's certainly not paranoia. Terrorists attack targets. Concerts are targets, that's why there's security there. Therefore it's possible they'll hit a Bruce show. 

Its just not possible to put your life on hold indefinitely in order to be safe. We just need to be cautious, observant and intelligent about such things. That's not paranoia, that's rational behaviour given the reality. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, the calvary said:

It's certainly not paranoia. Terrorists attack targets. Concerts are targets, that's why there's security there. Therefore it's possible they'll hit a Bruce show. 

Its just not possible to put your life on hold indefinitely in order to be safe. We just need to be cautious, observant and intelligent about such things. That's not paranoia, that's rational behaviour given the reality. 

What does cautious, observant and intelligent mean in this context? Does it mean if you see a person of seemingly middle eastern origin carrying a back pack, you react in some way? Do they look nervous or do you just feel nervous? 

I don't think there's really much individuals can do, we just have to hope intelligence and security measures foil most attempts. It's only yesterday that a former UK Home Secretary said that the UK will almost certainly experience another attack and I don't think any country can say otherwise.

It's a sad situation but people have to carry on and bear in mind that their chances of being caught up in such incidents are millions to one and that in no way dismisses the tragedy befallen those already affected. 

Let's just hope for an enjoyable trouble free summer.

• Like 6

I was more meaning police, and security services, although of course it applies to us all really. 

I have been thinking about this too over the past few days and found myself imagining what it would be like if a bomb went off during one of his shows. The actual consequences would be so horrific and devastating for those who would be affected, that it is something we hope we and each other would never be caught up in.

Yes i agree, in the first place, it is about gauging risks. In the past I have specifically avoided certain places following scares - especially when the IRA had a bombing campaign many years ago. However, the nature of recent terrorist bombings has been so abhorrent, indiscriminate and an attack on freedom, that I now feel it is especially important to carry on leading my life in the way I want and to not be deterred from doing the things I would normally do. With that in mind I will still assess risks, but I know by staying at home or made to feel paranoia, I would be allowing their terror and misery to prevail. 

• Like 1

Statistically, you're probably more likely to die driving to the concert rather than in an atrocity at the concert.

Live each day like it's your last, when your time is up, it's up, and you won't care anyway.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

Bruce concerts this year are very safe: once the terrorists have bought tickets they won't be able to afford to buy guns as well.

Haha, brilliant.

5 hours ago, Jesus was the sheriff said:

Bruce concerts this year are very safe: once the terrorists have bought tickets they won't be able to afford to buy guns as well.

As J said, brilliant.

Ok, not to get too dark or anything, since someone brought this up...

There can be no guarantee - you never know. I think if terrorists could target a Bruce Springsteen show, it's entirely possible that they would. But the chances of that happening and that you would be at that particular show, are very very low. And if you were so unlucky as to be at a show that was attacked, it would take an unprecedentedly large bomb for you to have the odds stacked against your own survival. Think of it this way, if 9/11 happened at the Meadowlands, and 3000 people died, each attendee would have about a 5/6 chance of surviving. I don't mean to trivialize the very real trauma experienced by surviving something like this. But your chances of being killed or physically hurt by a terrorist at a Bruce Springsteen show are incredibly low. And dying in a terrorist attack must be terrifying, if you have time to realize what is going on before you actually die. But maybe dying of cancer or wasting away from dementia over several years is worse?

I believe in being vigilant and alert to potentially disastrous situations when the chances of them happening are not minute AND when you have some control over avoiding disaster. No one lives forever but focus your energies on avoiding the more likely ways you could die before your time.

Don't leave guns around your home with toddlers around. If you're struggling with serious depression and suicidal thoughts, get some help. Don't drink and drive. Don't text and drive. Don't text when crossing the road.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Statistically, you're probably more likely to die driving to the concert rather than in an atrocity at the concert.

or to be killed by the the person you go to the show with in the next ten years. ;)

16 minutes ago, Frank said:

or to be killed by the the person you go to the show with in the next ten years. ;)

particularly if they talk during "The Promise"..............

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Don't leave guns around your home with toddlers around. 

I wouldn't be leaving guns around my home with anyone around but that's just me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

Ok, not to get too dark or anything, since someone brought this up...

There can be no guarantee - you never know. I think if terrorists could target a Bruce Springsteen show, it's entirely possible that they would. But the chances of that happening and that you would be at that particular show, are very very low. And if you were so unlucky as to be at a show that was attacked, it would take an unprecedentedly large bomb for you to have the odds stacked against your own survival. Think of it this way, if 9/11 happened at the Meadowlands, and 3000 people died, each attendee would have about a 5/6 chance of surviving. I don't mean to trivialize the very real trauma experienced by surviving something like this. But your chances of being killed or physically hurt by a terrorist at a Bruce Springsteen show are incredibly low. And dying in a terrorist attack must be terrifying, if you have time to realize what is going on before you actually die. But maybe dying of cancer or wasting away from dementia over several years is worse?

I believe in being vigilant and alert to potentially disastrous situations when the chances of them happening are not minute AND when you have some control over avoiding disaster. No one lives forever but focus your energies on avoiding the more likely ways you could die before your time.

Don't leave guns around your home with toddlers around. If you're struggling with serious depression and suicidal thoughts, get some help. Don't drink and drive. Don't text and drive. Don't text when crossing the road.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather get killed in an terrorist attack during Bruce concert than die of cancer. And I'm not saying this to emphasise my fandom - it has nothing to do with it. That's just a horrifying disease. I've seen what it did to my Dad and I would choose an instant death for myself in a heartbeat. Preferably during Jungleland.

Is there really any point worrying? The risks are so tiny and there is now way of predicting what the next target might be. If you stayed at home rather than seeing Bruce in Europe you might get electrocuted or robbed, or get run down by a speeding driver while crossing the road.

Kay, I think your concerns make perfect sense! But as many say we can't live our lives in fear. I imagine any of us would rather go at a concert than suffering for years. Plus if we live in fear and doubt those who wish to terrorize us win.

First of all I would like to thank the Lakers who PM'd me. Your concerns for my safety were heartwarming.

As others have said, the chances of being caught up in a terrorist attack are very small.

But when a bomb goes off in a subway station less than 500 metres from your office - a subway station through which many of your colleagues pass every morning and evening on their way to and from work - it brings it very close to home. Thankfully everyone I know is safe, but we still don't know if any of our colleagues in other buildings have been hit by the attack...

Installing a disproportionate fear in our hearts is what this is all about and unfortunately it seems to be working....my wife and I were (irrationally but understandably) discussing not going to the Paris show after all. Which is exactly the effect these terrorists hope to achieve. I presume we will come to our senses, decide to go and have a fantastic evening.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, candy's boy said:

First of all I would like to thank the Lakers who PM'd me. Your concerns for my safety were heartwarming.

As others have said, the chances of being caught up in a terrorist attack are very small.

But when a bomb goes off in a subway station less than 500 metres from your office - a subway station through which many of your colleagues pass every morning and evening on their way to and from work - it brings it very close to home. Thankfully everyone I know is safe, but we still don't know if any of our colleagues in other buildings have been hit by the attack...

Installing a disproportionate fear in our hearts is what this is all about and unfortunately it seems to be working....my wife and I were (irrationally but understandably) discussing not going to the Paris show after all. Which is exactly the effect these terrorists hope to achieve. I presume we will come to our senses, decide to go and have a fantastic evening.

So glad to hear that you are safe and sound.   Have you heard from your colleagues in the other buildings?  

• Like 1

On 24 March 2016 at 10:42 AM, Jesus was the sheriff said:

The Bruce Soringsteen Counter Terrorism Strategey - simple but effective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

So glad to hear that you are safe and sound.   Have you heard from your colleagues in the other buildings?  

Unfortunately we have no official news yet...apparently at least one colleague (whom I do not know personally) is still reported as missing by her family.

19 hours ago, Silvia said:

I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather get killed in an terrorist attack during Bruce concert than die of cancer. And I'm not saying this to emphasise my fandom - it has nothing to do with it. That's just a horrifying disease. I've seen what it did to my Dad and I would choose an instant death for myself in a heartbeat. Preferably during Jungleland.

You don't want to die during Sunny Day? ;)

• Like 2

candy's boy, really sorry to read the above.   Hope all your colleagues become accounted for alive and safe.  Also sorry to read about the possibility of you not attending Paris.  Myself, if I had plans to travel to Europe to see Bruce I wouldn't be cancelling but I'd probably be thinking a little harder about my decision.   

• Like 3