Greasy Lake Community

The Dogs of the Lake - post your pics (Cats and others welcome as well)

this is Rosie 

i think she's a Jack russel orca foxie

she is quite...

er...

fat

i pass her on the way to and from work and she races up from her front step to the gate, her whole back half wagging 

the only dog in Wamganui who seems to like me most days

20211011_173619.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Borris is still mad we had to go to Wellington for two nights last week - as in a whole 9 days ago

Tonight i thought i was going to get my first welcome home cuddle but she just wanted my lamington 

20211031_203830.jpg

• Love Love Love! 1

so last night was the first time since we got home from our two nights in Wellington 3 weeks ago than Boris graced me with her presence in bed in her usual possie by sleeping on me

007.thumb.JPG.880ac5a8a677fcc88538aca614d8f186.JPG

Sadly, our pup Nabisco crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday.  He was 14 1/2 years old, and we've had him over 10 years.  He was originally a foster for us but we couldn't get him adopted because he had a lot of issues, so we just kept him. But outside of having heartworm when we first got him, he was a healthy boy.

Then a couple of months or so ago, his eating habits started to change.  Usually he would finish a meal in 30 seconds, inhaling like a vacuum cleaner.  But he started eating his dry food slower, often one piece at a time.  We eventually switched him over to wet food, which we've never done for a dog. That worked for a few days, but then he started turning his nose up to that. So we figured something in his mouth was bothering him.  Took him to our vet almost two weeks ago, and they did a dental on him and extracted 5 teeth.  We figured that would solve the problem.  But then he never ate anything of substance after that.  He really wanted to, was still very interested in food, but just couldn't bring himself to eat anything beyond an occasional treat.  He went 11 days without eating, and it was painful for us to watch him losing weight and not knowing why he wouldn't eat.  Our vets and the the vets at the local emergency room couldn't figure it out.  We tried appetite stimulants and different meds, but nothing seemed to work.  I thought maybe the vets had missed a bad tooth, or maybe something with his tongue.

Finally, they scheduled an ultrasound body scan for him yesterday.  The scan found that he had tumors throughout his body, on both kidneys, his liver, his spleen, his lymph nodes.  In a way finding that out was good, cause now we finally had an answer and made our decision easier.  Chemo wasn't really an option at his age, so for his sake we decided to let him go.  As many of you know, not an easy decision to make, the 4th time for us, and just as painful as the previous ones.  But we feel we did the right thing for Nabisco, and we just couldn't continue to see him unable to eat and wasting away.  Hopefully now he's running with his sister Juno again.

Rest easy buddy.  We'll miss you.

• Hug 2
  • Sad 7

On 10/18/2021 at 5:13 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

Didn't know Bindi had a daughter, knew she got married.  My son loved watching Steve Irwin's show growing up.  Such a shame what happened to him.

• Hug 1

@gsquare I'm so sorry :(  When a Beagle doesn't eat there's definitely something wrong.  We had a Beagle we had to put down just shy of 14 years old.  They're the sweetest dogs and like you said, eat like a vacuum cleaner :)
You gave Nabisco a good life, take consolation in that.  It's so freaking hard to let go, I still tear up when I think of our Beagle and it's been 6 years.

• Like 1
  • Hug 2