Greasy Lake Community

The Dogs of the Lake - post your pics (Cats and others welcome as well)

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes very sad, matter as I'm at the Vets right now with Abbie. Think she has a bad heart or liver. Either way it sucks

oh Jimmy 

I'm so sorry

sending cat cuddles to you and Abbie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, skyjocky said:

And please consider a rescue, regardless of the breed. They have so much love to give.

My two cats came from a shelter - as did their predecessors whom I had for 11 and 13 years respecively. Emma and Lizzie, after more than ten years in our home, are still very cautious and trust really no one but me. They came from unspeakable circumstances : An old woman had 16 cats in her tiny apartment, they were starved and neglected.

After they were taken to the shelter, we got two of them - it took more than a year before they dared venture out into the garden. They are useless as mousers, because they don't know what a mouse is or what to do with it if it stares them in the face. Likewise with birds, which is a good thing.

Loud music scares them (as do so many other things), which is why I always listen to Bruce on headphones.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, the calvary said:

I feel so proud, Wanker got a heart symbol for being a popular post.

Its all in the name.... you could've posted a plastic goldfish with that name and made it I reckon.

The subsequent post about the kennel name made me laugh out loud.

OK, the dog does look cool too....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Its all in the name.... you could've posted a plastic goldfish with that name and made it I reckon.

The subsequent post about the kennel name made me laugh out loud.

OK, the dog does look cool too....

It's the close-up of the nose that gets me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

OK the (first) US leg is over (probably...he could always add shows...). Time to refocus on the critter pics.

That leaves three legs, by my count, unless we're talking about the dog from The Wrestler.

(I'm merging my threads, aren't I?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, judyg said:

Here's my puppy, Layla. She's a 7 month old Great Dane. She weighs 85 pounds.  Imagine all the energy of a 7 month old puppy in an 85 pound package, and you've got Layla.

layla_april_22_2016_02.jpg

What a beautiful girl! When we got Hoss home from the shelter, he was eight months old and weighed 125 pounds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skyjocky said:

What a beautiful girl! When we got Hoss home from the shelter, he was eight months old and weighed 125 pounds.

Thanks!  People never believe me when I tell them she is just a puppy and will get bigger.  lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, judyg said:

Gone but never forgotten...my Kenya girl. I lost her last year and I still miss her every single day. She was also a Great Dane. When she was 8 years old and not doing well, I hired a professional photographer to take some pics of us together, which turned out to be one of the smartest things I've ever done. She died about 2 weeks after these pics were taken.

Kenya_01nologo.jpg

Kenya_07nologo.jpg

Beautiful. Our Lulu is a Blue Merle too. She just turned seven. Like Hoss, she's also a rescue.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yes very sad, matter as I'm at the Vets right now with Abbie. Think she has a bad heart or liver. Either way it sucks

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's impossibly difficult to lose them. Thoughts for you and your family.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, judyg said:

Gone but never forgotten...my Kenya girl. I lost her last year and I still miss her every single day. She was also a Great Dane. When she was 8 years old and not doing well, I hired a professional photographer to take some pics of us together, which turned out to be one of the smartest things I've ever done. She died about 2 weeks after these pics were taken.

Kenya_01nologo.jpg

Kenya_07nologo.jpg

Judy, what a beautiful animal.

Judy and Sky, how much does a fully-grown Great Dane typically weigh?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skyjocky said:

Beautiful. Our Lulu is a Blue Merle too. She just turned seven. Like Hoss, she's also a rescue.

Yes, I just looked at your pics...both are gorgeous.  I love Merles.  And all Danes. And all dogs.  And all animals, really.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Thanks!  Fully grown Danes generally weigh anywhere from around 110 to 180.  The females are smaller as a general rule.

Here's the growth chart for typical Danes:

Height and weight chart for Danes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, judyg said:

Yes, I just looked at your pics...both are gorgeous.  I love Merles.  And all Danes. And all dogs.  And all animals, really.....

Have you ever considered fostering? Contact a local Dane rescue. They are always looking for someone to rehab thrown away dogs. The DW and I are the medical fosters for Great Dane Rescue of SE Texas. The little girl we have now is number nine for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skyjocky said:

Have you ever considered fostering? Contact a local Dane rescue. They are always looking for someone to rehab thrown away dogs. The DW and I are the medical fosters for Great Dane Rescue of SE Texas. The little girl we have now is number nine for us.

I actually just started volunteering for Great Dane Rescue of New England.  I'd love to foster but I don't think it would be fair to my cats. I have 2 cats, one of which was a feral stray and is still scared of everyone but me. He's getting used to Layla but it would kill him to have to adjust to new dogs frequently. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Lulu is large for a female. She's about 135 pounds. Hoss, well he's another story. He's from a Euro sub-breed called "German Giant". He's one of the largest dogs you'll ever see. At one point he was 220 pounds. The Vets said to knock about twenty pounds off of him. We keep him at around 200 pounds now. He's my big old baby boy. He lust turned six.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, judyg said:

I actually just started volunteering for Great Dane Rescue of New England.  I'd love to foster but I don't think it would be fair to my cats. I have 2 cats, one of which was a feral stray and is still scared of everyone but me. He's getting used to Layla but it would kill him to have to adjust to new dogs frequently. 

We have four rescue cats. They all get along just fine. We lucked out.

• Like 3