Nils' Trampoline

Toughest Songs to Play?

Or parts of songs...whichever.  What's given you the most problems and are there any you've yet to conquer?

I struggled with "Blinded by the Light" for so long until one day, I just played it.  Now, I'm talking a couple years...and that's while being able to play far more complex things...it just wouldn't click.

I felt a strong sense of accomplishment when I was able to tab out the "Storytellers" version and post it online.  

Good time to promote my Bruce tabs... :lol:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/blindterry333/contributions/

Turi   

Nice collection of TABs mate, great work.
I've got 62 Bruce songs in my songbooks at the moment, for solo acoustic stuff, always looking to add more.

Hardest one for me is Born To Run. I play the melody and the chords at the same time, and some of the fingerings I use are difficult.
It's a lot easier if I just play one part, but when you're on your own, gotta do what you gotta do.

I've found his lead work to be pretty difficult to pickup, live at least, because he's so good at picking out harmonics and uses feedback and what not.. hard for someone like me in an apartment to really get it all down. It was a bit of a shock to find out a few years ago, that some of the playing I'd worked out from the albums wasn't played where I thought it was. Oh well, I do it my own way, I guess..

Which is very similar to Bruce, kinda reckless a little sloppy at times, but all from the heart. I definitely can't nail his lead playing from like the Paramore 2009 stuff. It's pretty hectic.
To me, playing that sort of stuff isn't about the notes it's about the spirit, I can do that at least.

Nils playing is just way out of my reach at the moment, can't play his solos for shit, he uses the thumbpick, he's unique and the best I can do is try capture the vibe/spirit.
Absolutely can not play what he plays note for note at all.

13 hours ago, Turi said:

Hardest one for me is Born To Run. I play the melody and the chords at the same time, and some of the fingerings I use are difficult.

That sound intriguing. I doubt I could do it. And I know what you mean about his lead work. I like guys like Bruce and Neil Young who play with more heart and soul and fire than technicians like Eddie Van Halen. I do love Nils though but his playing is beyond me.

• Like 1

Turi   
5 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

That sound intriguing. I doubt I could do it. And I know what you mean about his lead work. I like guys like Bruce and Neil Young who play with more heart and soul and fire than technicians like Eddie Van Halen. I do love Nils though but his playing is beyond me.

Yeah, I don't mean the vocal melody.. I mean the main riffs etc, I try to play them and the chords at the same time.
Still trying to work out how to do the solos but it's difficult.
I mostly just sort of dead-thumb the bass lines while picking out whatever melodies I need to with my fingers. I hybrid pick so it's easy to get a decent thump from the bass notes.

I sing the song, so yeah I'm not playing the vocal melody at the same time.
Sorry for the confusion, lol.
I wish I was that pro.

Mark V   

I am not a musician and have no idea what a chord or note or tab is, I did have a friend who played guitar in a bar band. One song he found hard was Born To Run. But he did get it. The rest of the band said that Born To Run was hard because it is not a formula song, verse,chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus etc

• Like 1

On ‎01‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 6:10 AM, Mark V said:

I am not a musician and have no idea what a chord or note or tab is, I did have a friend who played guitar in a bar band. One song he found hard was Born To Run. But he did get it. The rest of the band said that Born To Run was hard because it is not a formula song, verse,chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus etc

That's a good point. Good musicians can almost always figure out one way or another to play the parts you hear on a record or even live. But an unusual song structure will throw you more than you think.

I also would say pieces like Backstreets and Jungleland (another unusual song structure!) are extremely hard to cover, no matter if you want to play them note for note or do your own version. I only can pull of more or less decent acoustic versions of Thunder Road and Sad Eyes, and that's it. :lol: Well, Growin' Up maybe also.

As a drummer, for me, the toughest songs are Thundercrack, Roulette, Kitty's Back, Born to Run and Nebraska (kidding ;)). But the other four are quite tough. Vinny Lopez's playing was way more embelished than Max's, but Max is more solid. And what Ernest Carter did was amazing on Born to Run, it was very exquisite playing. it took me a while to get those songs down and at least not lose the beat during the fills and stuff.