Greasy Lake Community

Interesting way for Bruce to introduce new music

As most everyone knows, Bruce is sitting on a completed CD of new material (in fact he probably has several, but has one that he was actively planning on releasing) but has set it aside to undertake the River tour. As things stand, it probably won't see the light of day until the holidays at the earliest, but we're probably looking at a 2017 release. Also, he's commented that he probably wouldn't be using the band to promote that material, so it's possible he's planning on undertaking a solo tour when the time comes.

So, it got me thinking about how Bruce could kill two birds. Honestly, this idea is probably better suited to a younger, hungrier Bruce. Also, since the schedule is set, it's too late to implement now. But what the hell, I can fantasize, right?

What if he went ahead and released the new CD and then, at select shows, after the band played their show as usual, Bruce announced, "Keep your tickets from tonight. The first XXXX ticketholders who show up at (other, smaller venue) will be treated to a show of all NEW material the night after next!" The band could have a couple of days off, and Bruce could play his new stuff. Win-Win!

But, like I said, it would require a completely different kind of schedule... 

I guess I'm just hungry for the NEW stuff!

22 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

He should drop it online without fanfare a day before the European tour starts.

I have said this on here before but CD is dead, and other than a % of the hard-core, nobody cares.

Yet Landau still sticks with the same prehistoric process.

Press release 3 weeks in advance. Pointless lead off single release 2 weeks in advance. Rolling Stone magazine feature (Inc 5* album review) 1 week in advance.

This hasn't changed since forever while the music industry has changed beyond belief so the hard-core fans buy it, nobody else does.

Compare that to the media buzz created by Radiohead dropping a new album on Sunday night with a days notice, news of that was everywhere. The media coverage created by an artist of Springsteen's stature doing something similar would be huge. What does he have to lose at his age and stage of career? Holding back music is just ridiculous.

Radiohead release albums in their way because they hate the way the music industry works and want to attract fans. They have come up with a very successful way of doing this.

Bruce has never really shown dissatisfaction on how the music industry works, and at this stage of his career doesn't need to attract new fans. So his method of distribution and promotion doesn't really need to change.

im not saying it would be bad to change things up. But I don't see what Bruce would get from it.

Aside: anyone else loving the new Radiohead album?

I would like to see it because time (ours and especially his) is short and sitting around planning the next 3 year cycle before the he can release another collection of 12 new songs is ridiculous and archaic.

If Landau was a forward thinker he would notice that his recent sales stink. Unless you are called Adele, nobody buys albums anymore so why not try something new?

6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

He should drop it online without fanfare a day before the European tour starts.

He talked about this in the 70's. The idea of just having s record show up in the shops one day with no promotion. 

I think in part it was as a reaction to the BTR hype.

Now really is the time for this to happen. It's actually a realistic thing. 

I do think it's time for new music. The River concept having bitten it, it feels like the already recorded album needs to be heard. 

I must be so old school on this matter coz the idea of Bruce just dropping an album carries no appeal for me whatsoever.  I appreciate certain things Inc has emulated from other bands, the downloads for example, but I don't see how following the Beyonce model would help sales for him and I like anticipating an album on the horizon.  Not that it wouldn't be a nice surprise but I don't think he needs to at this point in his career follow younger artists on the current path of no promotion. To me it might seem that he was trying too hard to do what other popular artists are doing.

55 minutes ago, Kay said:

I must be so old school on this matter coz the idea of Bruce just dropping an album carries no appeal for me whatsoever.  I appreciate certain things Inc has emulated from other bands, the downloads for example, but I don't see how following the Beyonce model would help sales for him and I like anticipating an album on the horizon.  Not that it wouldn't be a nice surprise but I don't think he needs to at this point in his career follow younger artists on the current path of no promotion. To me it might seem that he was trying too hard to do what other popular artists are doing.

Agree with all the above.  And I want the anticipation and buildup prior.

I'm all for surprises and spur of the moment stuff. This current tour started out as an off the cuff idea to play a few shows to promote the River box set and now it's become a monster, that's rock and roll.

Before Rolling Stone magazine became the corporate mag it is now, and before Tower records, bands would have very little in the way of media promotion. For most you would walk in the store and find out the Beatles have a new 45 rpm, Paperback Writer with a B side of some song called Rain. 

The real old school was very low budget promotion, mostly A&R guys promoting at local AM radio stations. 

I really liked the way this tour started with house lights up for Meet Me in the City, it reminded me of way back when rock and roll really didn't have any fancy schmancy stage lighting. 

I wax poetic, but that's the way it was and We Loved It! 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, MonkMonk said:

No, its rubbish. A drone, a dirge. Hate it. Yorke sounds so bloody miserable.

I only almost like Glass Eyes, and ONLY because it reminds me of Formantera Lady - opening track to King Crimson's 1971 epic Islands LP

1 hour ago, BITUSA said:

No, its rubbish. A drone, a dirge. Hate it. Yorke sounds so bloody miserable.

I only almost like Glass Eyes, and ONLY because it reminds me of Formantera Lady - opening track to King Crimson's 1971 epic Islands LP

Well, it is his Tunnel Of Love. He's every right to be miserable

I'd be happy for Bruce to drop his music in whichever way he wants, just drop something already!

He doesn't need to do anything special, or new or old or whatever.  He'll release an album however he does and the same fans will buy it.  That will be a good number of sales and keep the train running.

The idea that he'd suddenly tell people at a stadium show to pop into a theater the next day for a solo show is pretty far fetched.

Also... as much as it sounds like a cool idea... I'd be a little pissed if I couldn't make it, or couldn't get in. Like, all the people that did get in get a free gig for the same price I paid for just the one gig? 

51 minutes ago, J said:

Also... as much as it sounds like a cool idea... I'd be a little pissed if I couldn't make it, or couldn't get in. Like, all the people that did get in get a free gig for the same price I paid for just the one gig? 

Also... I wouldn't worry too much as there is as much chance of this happening as there is him offering us the chance to come up to the ranch the next day to have a roll in the hay with Jessica.

19 minutes ago, HelloNewman said:

Also... I wouldn't worry too much as there is as much chance of this happening as there is him offering us the chance to come up to the ranch the next day to have a roll in the hay with Jessica.

Indeed... I'm not worried it will happen at all because it never will.

My wife wouldn't allow me to roll in the hay with Jessica either.

4 hours ago, J said:

I'd be happy for Bruce to drop his music in whichever way he wants, just drop something already!

He dropped The River album a couple of weeks ago, give him time.

17 hours ago, MonkMonk said:

Radiohead release albums in their way because they hate the way the music industry works and want to attract fans. They have come up with a very successful way of doing this.

Bruce has never really shown dissatisfaction on how the music industry works, and at this stage of his career doesn't need to attract new fans. So his method of distribution and promotion doesn't really need to change.

im not saying it would be bad to change things up. But I don't see what Bruce would get from it.

Loving the new RH album. Couple of tracks I'm not mad on. Burn The Witch and Ful Stop. But very solid again. Esepecially the last 5 tracks. Granted Yorke does sound miserable, but I'm feeling it.

Archived