Greasy Lake Community

Reasons modern fitba is shite, Part 5741

MagicRatAFC

On 10/24/2019 at 5:01 AM, dr winston oboogie said:

Looks like new television contracts for the EPL this year, on Thursday 26th Decenber and Friday 27th December Amazon Prime Video are the only people showing games and on Wednesday 1st January and Thursday 2nd January only BT Sport have these games, sign of things to come.

only in the UK right?

here in the land of the yankees Amazon have been showing some of the thursday night yankeeball games

12 hours ago, AMIW said:

only in the UK right?

here in the land of the yankees Amazon have been showing some of the thursday night yankeeball games

I do not know for sure Andrew, but being Amazon I would think they would want a world wide copyright deal.

On 10/26/2019 at 3:28 AM, dr winston oboogie said:

I do not know for sure Andrew, but being Amazon I would think they would want a world wide copyright deal.

Just checked and nbc still have the rights to those two weekends of games so must just be in blighty

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

I have not independently verified these numbers, but ... :o 

The other interesting part of those numbers is how little Rangers payroll has gone up; that isn't even keeping up with inflation.  That can't be a healthy club/league.

• Haha 1

Right, a few corrections and clarifications in order.........

Rangers died in 2012. They went bust....... kaput............... Monty Python's Norwegian Blue......   bereft of life they lie before us.

A company called "Sevco (Scotland) 5088" purchased some of the dead club's assets, put together a tribute act and called it The Rangers. 

Disgracefully, the Scottish authorities allowed the new club straight into the bottom tier of Scotland's senior leagues.

The current entitiy in Scotland's top league just posted losses of 11mil, give or take.

98-99 was part of the era that led to Rangers' death.

To get round tax laws they were paying players via EBTs, effectively paying players via loans, meaning they could afford to pay WAY beyond their means.

Even with this their wage bill was massive, multiples many times of any other club in Scotland.

So the only comparison between the two eras is both Rangers (then) and Sevco (now) are paying wages beyond their income.

Both are, however, equally vile.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

14 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Rangers died in 2012. They went bust....... kaput............... Monty Python's Norwegian Blue......   bereft of life they lie before us.

A company called "Sevco (Scotland) 5088" purchased some of the dead club's assets, put together a tribute act and called it The Rangers. 

Disgracefully, the Scottish authorities allowed the new club straight into the bottom tier of Scotland's senior leagues.

The current entitiy in Scotland's top league just posted losses of 11mil, give or take.

To get round tax laws they were paying players via EBTs, effectively paying players via loans, meaning they could afford to pay WAY beyond their means.

Even with this their wage bill was massive, multiples many times of any other club in Scotland.

So the only comparison between the two eras is both Rangers (then) and Sevco (now) are paying wages beyond their income.

Well said, that should clear up a few things for those less knowledgeable.

18 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Yeah well no argument about the last bit from me.  

There have been two occasions where I have felt uncomfortable watching a match.  The first was in Johannesburg and the other was, oddly enough, in NYC and in both cases it involved being in bars that were heavily patronized by Rangers supporters.  The atmosphere might be described as menacing.  I did not enjoy the experiance, paid up early and left.  It's kind of ridiculous when a neutral can't get a  couple of beers and a burger and take in a game.   Toss in some of their less savory supporters in Northern Ireland and well... f*ck Rangers.  

But on to the other point.  Thank you for the financial history lesson about the club and now that you remind me I was vaguely aware they had gotten into financial problems at one point but didn't recall that it was that bad.  I know there is "real" inflation and "football" inflation and they are different things but still that is a shocking commentary, IMO, on the state of things in Scotland.  It's a perfectly good national league and there is enough money there to have better financial support than that surely?  My initial thought is that they are doing a great job of getting decent media deals - I mean it's no easy thing to see Scottish football here in the states (which is a shame); with 500 channels of crap on cable give the rights away until you build a respectable following internationally and get some cash flowing into the game.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Yeah well no argument about the last bit from me.  

There have been two occasions where I have felt uncomfortable watching a match.  The first was in Johannesburg and the other was, oddly enough, in NYC and in both cases it involved being in bars that were heavily patronized by Rangers supporters.  The atmosphere might be described as menacing.  I did not enjoy the experiance, paid up early and left.  It's kind of ridiculous when a neutral can't get a  couple of beers and a burger and take in a game.   Toss in some of their less savory supporters in Northern Ireland and well... f*ck Rangers.  

Well you certainly got that bit correct, they cannot and wll not ever change, they are just so far up their own axxxs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

If the right clubs arrive there, I might just see if I can get there. Nothing wrong with that.

What's next? Superbowl in Paris? And why stop there? How about a French Open Final in Doha? 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

The Spanish Supercup is being played this weekend in Saudi Arabia. These people will sell their souls to the devil for a few bucks.

Is this Cup equivalent to the English League Cup or FA Cup?  

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Is this Cup equivalent to the English League Cup or FA Cup?  

Community shield, but while it is the least important of the 3 club titles in Spain, it's more important than it's equivalents in other countries.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 6:26 AM, Born To Walk said:

Players sticking their arms up and screaming at the linesman when they know offside will be checked by VAR.

You could shorten that to...

VAR