Greasy Lake Community

Reasons modern fitba is shite, Part 5741

MagicRatAFC

5 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I'm kind of torn on Friday night stuff.

It can be a cracking atmosphere, Friday night invariably leads to more ale consumption.

But it's a bit crap making fans travel the length of the country for a game on a Friday night.

As long as the games are geographically sensibly scheduled, I'm OK with it up to  point.

For home fans I reckon it would be great, Friday night in the Toon would be wonderful.

The away games would of course be a problem, the match i was on about Liverpool away in the cup was massive at the time, every Newcastle fan wanted to be there.

I image next season Brighton away on a Friday wont go down as well. Sky wont give a shit.

Newcastle's first game this next season is Fulham away friday night , proves your point.

so do you guys get all the weekend games live or is the 3pm Saturday game still blacked out in U.K? I had lunch today with a friend who I dragged to the first live prem league game on yankee TV - In 1996 it was on a satellite pub channel so we had to drive about 30 miles to see it, drink beer, and then drive home and it was usually not one of the big clubs but it was exciting to see live footie

20 years later we will get 7 weekly games live on home tv (Friday, 3 on sat, 2 on sun and Monday)  - things have come a long way

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

so do you guys get all the weekend games live or is the 3pm Saturday game still blacked out in U.K? I had lunch today with a friend who I dragged to the first live prem league game on yankee TV - In 1996 it was on a satellite pub channel so we had to drive about 30 miles to see it, drink beer, and then drive home and it was usually not one of the big clubs but it was exciting to see live footie

20 years later we will get 7 weekly games live on home tv (Friday, 3 on sat, 2 on sun and Monday)  - things have come a long way

Not necessarily for the better.

Saturday 3pm is, I think, the only time slot that is blacked out.

Incidentally, Friday neet fitba is not a new thing.

I recall, when I was a lad, Tranmere routinely playing their games Friday night to avoid clashing with Liverpool or Everton.

World of Sport usually started with Dickie Davies or Brian Moore giving the Tranmere score from the previous evening.

Incidentally, that's touted often as being the reason for Half Man Half Biscuit's lack of "big time" success.

In the early 80s, Channel 4's "The Tube" was shown, what, 6pm ish, live from Newcastle, on a Friday neet.

It was the coolest music show going, launching Frankie Goes to Hollywood into the stratosphere, as well as many others.

HMHB were scheduled to appear, but their beloved Tranmere were playing at home that night, so they scrubbed and went to the match.

To this day, they remain the very definition of an act with a "cult following".

22 hours ago, AMIW said:

so do you guys get all the weekend games live at 3pm Saturday in U.K?

Many city centre pubs show the 12:45 lunch time game on BT Sport or Sky, then switch to their desried 3pm game, sometimes showing 2 or 3 games at the same time on different screens, usuing foreign Satelitte recievers, so in effect it is possible to watch any or all games live over the weekend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

No. 5746................................

This.

Manchester.jpg?width=1024&height=576

Can you imagine Tony Book or Colin Bell turned out like this?

What sharn.

So who's the fella on the left? I know the other two.

What are they advertising? The Bag? The Jacket? The Jeans? Or The Shoes?

And shouldn't have you posted this is the City Thread as to make fun of them there?

Just now, newcastle roy said:

What the fuck is that ?

I believe it's some sort of fashion range that Man City are involved in. I think it was said someplace that this was official club travel wear, but I'm guessing that's a wind up 

1 minute ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I believe it's some sort of fashion range that Man City are involved in. I think it was said someplace that this was official club travel wear, but I'm guessing that's a wind up 

You were right about the players from the past they would be cringing at this shite:D

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Lots of clubs have travel wear. Barça's were all jeans a couple of years ago. Ridiculous!

• 3 weeks later...

They are a burden, or every team would play their first team every time out.

As a fan: City won the League cup last year, I bet everyone forgot about it by now, I almost did until you reminded me. United won the FA Cup, and there Manager got fired for it. If these cups mean anything, than surely a Manager wouldn't get fired over winning a cup?

I know I'm a stupid American messing around in your sport, but I do love it.

If these cups mean so much, why not play them in the off season, not as the league and CL or Europa is going on.

I remember last year City had to play something stupid like 12 matches in 4 weeks, between the League Cup, FA Cup, League and CL. And that was when they were already in the finals of the League Cup so they were all in already.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I know I'm a stupid American messing around in your sport, but I do love it.

If these cups mean so much, why not play them in the off season, not as the league and CL or Europa is going on.

I remember last year City had to play something stupid like 12 matches in 4 weeks, between the League Cup, FA Cup, League and CL. And that was when they were already in the finals of the League Cup so they were all in already.

Don't worry about it. It's not "our" sport. It's for everybody.

But don't confuse the League Cup and the FA Cup. The League Cup IS a burden and should be scrapped. But the FA Cup is the real deal. The oldest competition in football. But you're right, even the FA Cup has lost a lot of it's importance. Same as the Copa del Rey in Spain or the DFB Pokal in Germany. I just don't understand why. I know I'm spoiled, with Barça winning so much in the last years, but the titles I enjoyed the most were the once won in proper finals. The Champions League of course, but I was more exited about winning the Copa del Rey than winning the league. And no, Roy, it's not because there's no competition ;-). It's because also teams that would never even get close to winning a league sometimes/often make it to the final. Cup football is just different. It's difficult to explain, but when any team is only 90 min away from elimination, it adds to the excitement.

• Like 1

When I started watching football 11 or so years ago, I only cared about the PL & CL. An English friend told me that if I didn't learn to appreciate the FA Cup, then I would be forever considered an ignorant yankee twit with no insight whatsoever into the game and the fans. I decided to take his advice.

Now I love the Cup, especially some of the matches featuring the smaller clubs on their cozy grounds. Amazing. I truly wish american sports had something like that. NCAA hoops tourney is the only thing close here.

Please don't get me wrong, I also love the FA Cup. I remember watching a couple years ago when Man U played Cambridge United at their small stadium and played them to a tie. To get to play a rematch in Old Trafford. Players and fans couldn't be happier.

Yeah,could you believe the NCAA having a draw in lieu of brackets. First two teams out of the hat, North Carolina v Duke First game of the tournament?

36 minutes ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

League Cup IS kind of a joke and I don't think anyone here would disagree - although it would be amazing to see someone win a quad. Man U did the treble in '99 and peeps still talk about it. Ask dtbs, he'll be more than happy to tell you. ;)

Ask Birmingham City fans if the League Cup is a joke, or Swindon fans, or Stoke fans ........... 

• Like 1