Greasy Lake Community

Reasons modern fitba is shite, Part 5741

MagicRatAFC

12 hours ago, AMIW said:

#xxxx - playing a preseason game in Iceland.

man city v west ham next weekend

Jaysus........Iceland?

WTF is the thinking there?

They surely ain't getting weighed in big for that are they?

The Iceland FA spend all their money on frivolous things like high quality grass roots facilities........for all the good that'll do them.

13 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

What's wrong with promoting a great game, in a county that is on verge of great Fandom of the game. 

No offense, but you obviously don't know the history and importance of a Clasico. Along with River vs Boca it is the biggest club match in the world. This rivalry should never be used to make a few bucks in a pre-season friendly.

22 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

No offense, but you obviously don't know the history and importance of a Clasico. Along with River vs Boca it is the biggest club match in the world. This rivalry should never be used to make a few bucks in a pre-season friendly.

No I guess I don't. I would love to see River v Boca play in Miami/Houston/LA as did Real v Barca. Maybe it would promote that league a bit more. And maybe just maybe no one will die at the match? ;)

The NFL goes to Europe every year, during the regular season not preseason to help promote their game.

Honestly I believe it only help sale the game better and bring attention to this great game, when the US gets to see the best teams in the world. I was just in Nashville last weekend, 55,000 people were at the match Man City v Spurs. Largest crowd to see a soccer(football) match in the state of Tennessee. I haven't heard what the attendance was in Miami for Real Madrid v Barcelona (which isn't a Clasico if it isn't a league match).  

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

No I guess I don't. I would love to see River v Boca play in Miami/Houston/LA as did Real v Barca. Maybe it would promote that league a bit more. And maybe just maybe no one will die at the match? ;)

The NFL goes to Europe every year, during the regular season not preseason to help promote their game.

Honestly I believe it only help sale the game better and bring attention to this great game, when the US gets to see the best teams in the world. I was just in Nashville last weekend, 55,000 people were at the match Man City v Spurs. Largest crowd to see a soccer(football) match in the state of Tennessee. I haven't heard what the attendance was in Miami for Real Madrid v Barcelona (which isn't a Clasico if it isn't a league match).  

It's always a Clasico, no matter what competition. But I kinda have come around since my last post. Maybe also because I finally watched the match. Looking at how the goals were celebrated also showed how deep this rivalry goes. This is bigger than anything American sports has to offer. Celtics v Lakers or Yankees v Red Sox doesn't even come close. A friend of mine was at the Champions League Clasico in Barcelona in 2011. He said that shortly before kick-off he could see dozens of people around him praying. This means so much to so many people, especially in Barcelona, that I didn't like to see it being reduced to a "friendly" match. But now that I have seen it, I can say that the importance of this tie even makes a pre-season match look like it's about something.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, AMIW said:

have we already mentioned - having a cup draw at 4:15am in the morning!

apparently the 3rd round of the league cup draw is at 4:15am Blighty time on Thursday

tumblr_n5s6pyIzTC1rdredko1_500.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, sat watching Match of the Day.

Watford get a pen that's never a pen in a million years, boy dives......simple as.

Anyhow, the pundits, Ian Wright and Danny Murphy hum and ho about it.

Murphy "it's not simulation because there's contact".

Wright "I'd have been looking for it if it was me".

When did the attitude to cheating change?

I thought good old Ingurlish players had no truck for diving........that was for dirty Johnny Foreigner not sons of blighty?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 11:18 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

Watford get a pen that's never a pen in a million years, boy dives......simple as.

Think it's been a good ten years, to be honest. This - more than even the ridiculous ticket prices - has done more to push me away from following football than anything else. As a Dons fan, you'll remember Lee Miller always fancied himself as an artistic gymnast, @MagicRatAFC. Even during his 3-4 years at the club, there was a noticeable change in the attitude of fans towards his antics - I remember angry shouts during the first season, groans during the second, then folk demanding every dive went our way by the time his last season came around.

Lee Miller was one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen playing for us.

If that lad's head and attitude had been right then he could've gone to such a high level.

All the attributes ........... and the diving stuff was just part of it.

Thing is, it totally back fired, because after a while the refs just stopped giving him anything. 

Boy who cried wolf syndrome.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

I thought good old Ingurlish players had no truck for diving........that was for dirty Johnny Foreigner not sons of blighty?

I thought (after looking at it from all angles) it fell into "sufficient contact to not be simulation but not sufficient to be a foul".

The ref's angle was the one from which it looked most like a foul, so I guess I understand why he gave it. Plus the defender did the absolute stick-on guilty thing of immediately throwing both arms up in the air and looking pleadingly at the ref in that "didn't touch him" way. If no contact is made, players tend to just act as if nothing has happened - although they might have a moan a the "diver".

But you're also right about certain players. Even in the "man's games" of amateur football and the Juniors there are a few players who are known to be prone to a strong gust of wind impacting their balance. We knew who the were, and tended to judge incidents involving them sightly differently.

On 18/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, thomam said:

I thought (after looking at it from all angles) it fell into "sufficient contact to not be simulation but not sufficient to be a foul".

The Dive Committee (or whatever they're called) seemed to have the same opinion, at least about the simulation. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41639158

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

The Dive Committee (or whatever they're called) seemed to have the same opinion, at least about the simulation. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41639158

Precisely why this shiite'll never get stamped out.

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Precisely why this shiite'll never get stamped out.

The dive committee didn't think it was a dive. Which leaves us with a clumsy tackle that may or may not have been a foul, but gave the referee a decision to make, which he did.

You think it was a dive, fair enough, but as we've discussed before, it's up to the tackler to make a fair tackle, not the opponent to make it look like he did.

31 minutes ago, thomam said:

You think it was a dive, fair enough, but as we've discussed before, it's up to the tackler to make a fair tackle, not the opponent to make it look like he did.

I think that sentence on its own is worth a "Reasons modern fitba is shite" shout out.

8 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I think that sentence on its own is worth a "Reasons modern fitba is shite" shout out.

Yet there's still a place for Sumnovic's tackle on Kenny Miller. Hard as nails but absolutely fair.

7 hours ago, thomam said:

Yet there's still a place for Sumnovic's tackle on Kenny Miller. Hard as nails but absolutely fair.

Haven't seen it (I'm watching less and less fitba with each passing week, it's scary how my interest is waning) but I have a rule that no tackle on a h*n is ever a foul, so......play on!

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Haven't seen it (I'm watching less and less fitba with each passing week, it's scary how my interest is waning) but I have a rule that no tackle on a h*n is ever a foul, so......play on!

Fair enough - it's worth a look though!

1 hour ago, thomam said:

Agreed, nowt wrong with that. Studs weren't up and he won the ball about a week before he clattered into the other guy.

Good decision by the ref.

4 hours ago, thomam said:

That's a great tackle.

Won the ball, tackling foot on the deck.

Miller got the spin because he tackled, as my Dad used to  say, "like a bairn dipping his toe into hot bathwater".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And another.......

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/paul-pogba-demand-manchester-united-11888612

Surely to fuck a tipping point is coming?

And what will happen to all the Roger Nouveau types when their "beloved" clubs hit the skids and end up broke, playing Stockport County in Division 3?

Tick tock...........