Greasy Lake Community

Reasons modern fitba is shite, Part 5741

MagicRatAFC

40 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

The deep fried mars bar was invented in my hometown, in the Carron Chipper.

Ashamed I've never yet sampled one.

There is a very proper chip shop locally run by an Irishman that features a deep fried Mars bar on the menu.  

It's not for the faint of heart; a serious "belly bomb". 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

No, tend to not dismantle the individual Moneyball team threads........check them out occasionally.

Anyway, WTF would Dave MacKay, Bill Nicholson, Alan Gilzean or Steve Perryman make of a fucking "fromagerie".

Fitba's going to hell in a handcart.

Could you guys imagine MRAFC, walking into any American stadium or arena. 

One, see the different types of food available at the ball parks and than the prices!! :lol:  

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

I have been to the Iowa State Fair and eaten some of that. Also been to the Minnesota State Fair which is even bigger

Been to the Iowa State fair about four years ago. Minnesota State Fair last year and will be back in about 2 weeks. 

2 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

If anything ever deserved to be in this thread it's this..

If and probably  when it happens to the Premier League that's me out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45209407

Yeah... not thrilled by this at all.  I mean sure it would be nice to see it and all but it's not good for the teams.  Some people (Guardian pod cast today among them) are suggesting this is one of the moves designed to prepare for some sort of intentional super league with, yes, a team or two in North America.  For about a dozen reasons I think that is a shit idea.  Not least of which it risks making every team that doesn't make it into this league a bunch of paupers to the detriment of the overall sport.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

13 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Yeah... not thrilled by this at all.  I mean sure it would be nice to see it and all but it's not good for the teams.  Some people (Guardian pod cast today among them) are suggesting this is one of the moves designed to prepare for some sort of intentional super league with, yes, a team or two in North America.  For about a dozen reasons I think that is a shit idea.  Not least of which it risks making every team that doesn't make it into this league a bunch of paupers to the detriment of the overall sport.  

See I disagree, and most likely I'll never see one of these matches. 

Roy: why not promote the league you love, I do it with the NFL playing in England. 

PT: I dig what your saying also, but there isn't a club in USA that can compete on this level, now i know you said North American, but I don't believe a club from Mexico can either. Shoot the MLS all stars couldn't compete again Juve, earlier this year without their best player. 

3 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

It's coming Bud, the mug punters who pitch up week in week out don't mean shit any more, the former "lifeblood of the club" count for less than the subscribers in the far east who help the TV companies plough in the silly dough that ends up with Harry McGuire being touted for a transfer fee of 70 mil.

If I was a fan of a first division team dahn sarf I'd have jacked it in by now.

I'm sick enough of the nonsense that goes on up here but the stuff in England........the game's a bogey, has been for donkeys now.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

See I disagree, and most likely I'll never see one of these matches. 

Roy: why not promote the league you love, I do it with the NFL playing in England. 

PT: I dig what your saying also, but there isn't a club in USA that can compete on this level, now i know you said North American, but I don't believe a club from Mexico can either. Shoot the MLS all stars couldn't compete again Juve, earlier this year without their best player. 

The general feeling is this super league they will set up a team or promote an MLS franchise.  They will have deep enough pockets to attract the talent they need so it won't be a MLS team. 

18 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

The general feeling is this super league they will set up a team or promote an MLS franchise.  They will have deep enough pockets to attract the talent they need so it won't be a MLS team. 

America ruins everything. First they made soccer here suck by making MLS a franchise league rather than pro/rel, and by making youth development prohibitively expensive for most families (short term profit over long term outcomes - the American dream). Now they want to drag La Liga and eventually the Prem into it. This will not be beneficial in anyway to the development of the American game, it will just be a circus to make a quick buck.

I am sure a super league like you're talking about would discard the concept of promotion and relegation to accommodate the Americans. Sad state of affairs.

12 minutes ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

America ruins everything. First they made soccer here suck by making MLS a franchise league rather than pro/rel, and by making youth development prohibitively expensive for most families (short term profit over long term outcomes - the American dream). Now they want to drag La Liga and eventually the Prem into it. This will not be beneficial in anyway to the development of the American game, it will just be a circus to make a quick buck.

I am sure a super league like you're talking about would discard the concept of promotion and relegation to accommodate the Americans. Sad state of affairs.

Sorry but America can't ruin the game all on it's own; football team owners are as greedy as anybody on the planet.  For the heads of football North America is the great white whale; they choose to chase it. 

Countries in which football is a "developing" sport should be investing in their indigenous leagues and infrastructure, developing their local talent ......not importing the over priced, over hyped garbage from the "big leagues".

But the money guys have other ideas, sadly.

It's ironic really, Thatcher hated football and football fans (witness her complicity in covering up for the crimes of her buddies in South Yorkshire dibble) but the insidious fingers of Thatcherism have dug themselves more into English football than almost anything else.

3 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

This is the salary cap this year in the MLS. City has three left backs that make that. :D

• The salary cap is $4.035 million per team in 2018, not counting the extra salary of designated players. Players in the first 20 roster spots will count against the cap.

PT, am i understanding you correctly, that this said team wouldn't be part of the MLS? Or it will be a MLS team without a salary cap? 

See to me if MLS wants to become part of the world of soccer, drop to about 15 teams, with major league owners (Kroenke, Kraft etc.) No salary Cap. I bet they get a bunch of SA players to stay closer to home. And than maybe WRL idea of pro/rel would work also. 

4 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

Sorry but America can't ruin the game all on it's own; football team owners are as greedy as anybody on the planet.  For the heads of football North

America is the great white whale; they choose to chase it. 

Not in disagreement. It's greed, plain and simple, and a betrayal of the local fans in favor of international money and star appeal.

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

This is the salary cap this year in the MLS. City has three left backs that make that. :D

• The salary cap is $4.035 million per team in 2018, not counting the extra salary of designated players. Players in the first 20 roster spots will count against the cap.

PT, am i understanding you correctly, that this said team wouldn't be part of the MLS? Or it will be a MLS team without a salary cap? 

See to me if MLS wants to become part of the world of soccer, drop to about 15 teams, with major league owners (Kroenke, Kraft etc.) No salary Cap. I bet they get a bunch of SA players to stay closer to home. And than maybe WRL idea of pro/rel would work also. 

I agree, it seems like the MLS just wants to expand forever, it should probably split into multiple leagues at some point. 

5 minutes ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

Not in disagreement. It's greed, plain and simple, and a betrayal of the local fans in favor of international money and star appeal.

I agree, it seems like the MLS just wants to expand forever, it should probably split into multiple leagues at some point. 

Could you imagine a Kroenke owned Colorado Rapids or a Kraft owned New England Revolution being relegated! :D   

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Could you imagine a Kroenke owned Colorado Rapids or a Kraft owned New England Revolution being relegated! :D   

Bob Kraft could never handle it. Apparently he was considering buying Liverpool years ago but pro/rel was one of the reasons he didn't (along with the lack of a salary cap.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhereLoveRuled said:

Bob Kraft could never handle it. Apparently he was considering buying Liverpool years ago but pro/rel was one of the reasons he didn't (along with the lack of a salary cap.)

Didn't stop the Red Sox from buying them. 

21 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Well its all hypothetical of course.  My guess would be that to make it work it couldn't be a MLS team; to make it competitive with the european teams it would have to deep, deep pockets which MLS squads couldn't match.  Presumably if this hypothetical NY team worked the super league would try to expand into LA or possibly Chicago.  Again this whole idea is a bit hazy at this point and frankly its a bit half baked IMO but.... in ten years it might, for better or worse (and probably worse), just work.