Greasy Lake Community

Ideas for a Bruce song for a friend's funeral

I know I can rely on you folks for some help here. A work friend, a fellow Bruce fan, has passed away. Another very dear friend has been asked to give the eulogy and would like to end it with quote from our man.

Any ideas?

tonight I feel the cold wind at my back -

I'm flying high over the grey fields, my feather's long and black.

Down along the river's edge I soar -

Searching for my beautiful reward.

god bless.

Now the world is filled with many wonders under the passing sun
And sometimes something comes along and you know it's for sure the only one
The Mona Lisa, the David, the Sistine Chapel, Jesus, Mary, and Joe
And when they built you, brother, they broke the mold

Or any other verse from Terry's Song..... 

For what are we
Without hope in our hearts
That someday we'll drink from God's blessed waters

And eat the fruit from the vine
I know love and fortune will be mine
Somewhere across the border

Sorry to hear about your loss MG.

2 hours ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I know I can rely on you folks for some help here. A work friend, a fellow Bruce fan, has passed away. Another very dear friend has been asked to give the eulogy and would like to end it with quote from our man.

Any ideas?

Marilla my sympathies to you and your work mates

we lost a work mare about 18 months ago and it's a tough thing, but a really nice thing that came out of it us we just started to be nicer to each other

we have Dave's picture about the hardwear counter and we all still talk to him 

I love Candy's boy's idea of across the boarder

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

My suggestion is since your friend loved Bruce's music, maybe consider some of the songs he loved most and there's likely to be a line or a verse in one of them that fits his life, his passing or both.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Never underestimate the power of Bruce's music during grief. It provides a huge comfort.

I think Across the Border is a wonderful choice. It's meaning is open to interpretation and it suggests moving to a better place. It's also a beautiful song.

For my father's funeral we had Thunder Road, one of his favourite songs. It now holds an ever special part of my heart than it did before and I cried my eyes out when the band played it in Manchester last week. It's so emotive and fitting that someone should be remembered to such a stunning song.

I was thinking Ms Gorilla..

what was his favorite song

or maybe his most oscure Bruce favorite song

if a funeral can be a celebration of a person's life all his friends snd family in one place having to sit still

what better opertunity that to have them listen 

(well that's how I imagine it anyway)

Thank you everyone, for your ideas and your sympathy. I've passed  everything on to my friend, Kelly. but I haven't heard what she decided on. She has taken a few days off work. I won't be able to go to the service as it's tomorrow and I couldn't get anyone to switch.

A note about my friend who passed; her name was Mary, (a great Bruce name, if ever there was one.) We'd worked in neighbouring departments for years before we finally actually "met" when I decided to become Chief Steward of our local. She was our President. It was a horrible time for our local and in such times, solidarity from your union sisters and brothers seems to disappear. We put up with a lot of shit, but Mary remained staunch in her efforts for us and always put on a friendly face.

One day I popped over over to her desk for a chat and I saw a picture of her and, you might have guessed, Bruce! I can't remember all the details, but I think it was during the River tour in '80  that she waited outside Maple Leaf Gardens. Her friend had gone home, but Mary was rewarded. He cheerfully agreed to a pic. She said he smelled like Bengay.  :D

Archived