Greasy Lake Community

Copa America 2016

AMIW

not sure many of us are watching this given the Euros are about to start but its almost worth watching the games just to see how the organisers screw things up with anthems

two days ago on MissionMan's Phoenix AZ they played the Chile Anthem when Uruguay are playing

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36457918

then last night they play a Pitbull song over the top of the Chile Anthem for Argentina v Chile

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36466543

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the Argentina v Chile match on replay last night. Great match.

Argentina without Messi and Aguero and win against (did I here this right last night number 4 team in world?) They are the team to beat, but Brazil are strong too.

the rankings are always a little suspect but Argentina are ranked 1 and Chile 5, play lots of friendlies against weak teams before a tournament and you go up the table

Cape Verde Islands are ranked above South Korea for instance

I'm following this tournament only for Messi to finally win something with Argentina. Fingers crossed that Higuain won't screw it up for once.

11 hours ago, AMIW said:

not sure many of us are watching this given the Euros are about to start but its almost worth watching the games just to see how the organisers screw things up with anthems

two days ago on MissionMan's Phoenix AZ they played the Chile Anthem when Uruguay are playing

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36457918

then last night they play a Pitbull song over the top of the Chile Anthem for Argentina v Chile

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36466543

Audibles can be tricky. Were sign requests involved?

One more thing. Tickets are ridiculously overpriced, especially for the group stage. I thought about going to Mexico-Uruguay the other night. Tickets in the 400 (highest) level of the arena were $86 + fees. Seats in the mezzanine were 225. I'm not talking Stubhub. These were ticketbastard.

good point Don I had thought about going down to Orlando for some of the games because like with Bruce things don't come near me very often but was put off by the prices a little but mostly the fact that Orlando is so expensive this time of year with the schools out - as it is I see the cavernous Citrus bowl attracted a mere 14K to the first two games with Brazil to come tomorrow

15 hours ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

One more thing. Tickets are ridiculously overpriced, especially for the group stage. I thought about going to Mexico-Uruguay the other night. Tickets in the 400 (highest) level of the arena were $86 + fees. Seats in the mezzanine were 225. I'm not talking Stubhub. These were ticketbastard.

I can dig it. I bought tickets for Liverpool v Roma here in St. Louis, $100.00 now they are great seats. But it's a friendly. And Liverpool plays 2 days earlier. Maybe get a quarter of regulars. But I'll love it.

14 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

$100 for a summer friendly? One for the modern fitba sucks thread.

5 hours ago, AMIW said:

scarily I paid $150 for both Liverpool and Chelski in Charlotte in the last two summers...

I'm just glad to have real Soccer(Football) in my hometown.

U.S. National team and or MSL isn't real Football, IMO.

These prices are outrageous!! With a concert, at least you can be almost sure you're going to get entertained. But to sit through a boring 0-0 for 100 bucks or more?

4 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Argentina can't be backed at such low odds, but it looks like their tournament to lose.  

I'm sure Higuain will find a way to screw it up.

apparently old chompers was unhappy and threw his boot onto the pitch when told he wasn't going to play - I expect the Uruguay manager will wake up with some bite marks in his arm over that.....

21 hours ago, AMIW said:

apparently old chompers was unhappy and threw his boot onto the pitch when told he wasn't going to play - I expect the Uruguay manager will wake up with some bite marks in his arm over that.....

A goal down, facing elimination, the world's best striker on the bench but you don't bring him? Sometimes you wonder what goes through a manager's head.

27 minutes ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

I don't know why he was even kitted out. Tavarez said before the match that he wouldn't play due to his hamstring (doctor's advice), and he wasn't on the team sheet.

Hilarious! Not on the team sheet and warmed up without anybody telling him? The guy's nuts. 

I didn't see the game but from the clips on Fox they mentioned he wasn't eligible to play before the game - so why wasn't he street clothes (as Hennesey was for Wales) did no one really tell him during pre game warm up or during the game and none of the coaches thought to mention when he was warming up with the other subs - a truly bizarre episode.

Great defense by the US side; Brooks had a magnificent game. Yedlin is an idiot - he has at least an arguable case about his first yellow but the second card was richly deserved.  He owes his team an apology and he could have easily been the goat had Paraguay won.  

So the Colombia coach puts out a b side and loses to Costa rica... so they and not the us has to face brazil... I bet he is not the most popular man in Colombia right now

Archived