Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kendo

Squeeze and Springsteen

I'm going to a songwriting class/seminar hosted by Chris Difford from Squeeze next week. I don't know much about Squeeze other than the famous songs and seeing Glen Tilbrook at Cropredy 10 years ago.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Bruce and Squeeze links, connections, similarities, etc. I found out that Bob Clearmountain is a big Squeeze fan, but that's about the only link I know.

Dunno about any Bruce/Squeeze connections but my favorite Squeeze song is Up The junction.  

Didn't they release a new album in the last while?  

2 hours ago, kendo said:

I'm going to a songwriting class/seminar hosted by Chris Difford from Squeeze next week. I don't know much about Squeeze other than the famous songs and seeing Glen Tilbrook at Cropredy 10 years ago.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Bruce and Squeeze links, connections, similarities, etc. I found out that Bob Clearmountain is a big Squeeze fan, but that's about the only link I know.

Don't know sorry, but that's cool

27 minutes ago, Kay said:

Dunno about any Bruce/Squeeze connections but my favorite Squeeze song is Up The junction.  

Didn't they release a new album in the last while?  

Yes, end of last year apparently. Up the junction is a goody for sure. 

3 hours ago, kendo said:

Read the background bit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I've_Returned

Very cool...I loved Squeeze growing up. I remember going to see them at Madison Square Garden my sophomore year in high school....I think it was the first concert my parents let me go to with just my friends.....ughhh long time ago.

Tempted....Cool for Cats...Pulling Muscles from a Shell....great songs! Enjoy the seminar and let us know how it goes!

10 hours ago, kendo said:

Hey I hope you leave the seminar, go straight home, and write a number 1 Hit! 

2 hours ago, Captain Puget said:

Hey I hope you leave the seminar, go straight home, and write a number 1 Hit! 

So do I, but unless Chris is the greatest teacher and inspiration of all time, I don't like my chances. Anyway, according to one article I found on the interweb, it seems that Southside Johnny and Jeff Kazee are also big Squeeze fans.

Huge Squeeze fan.

I once saw Glenn Tilbrook in Newport.  Before the show I asked him to play Pretty Flamingo.  He said he knew the music but not all the words.  So I wrote them out for him based on what I remembered from a Bruce bootleg.  He played it and it was great.  There's a great YT vid of Difford Tilbrook Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe doing PF.

You can clearly see the top of my head late on in this clip (not that you'd want to!). In terms of a link with Bruce, sorry but I can't offer anything better than them both releasing their first albums in the '70s, although Dave Edmunds (who recorded Bruce's 'From Small Things') was originally intended to produce one side of the East Side story album.

10 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Huge Squeeze fan.

I once saw Glenn Tilbrook in Newport.  Before the show I asked him to play Pretty Flamingo.  He said he knew the music but not all the words.  So I wrote them out for him based on what I remembered from a Bruce bootleg.  He played it and it was great.  There's a great YT vid of Difford Tilbrook Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe doing PF.

That is a great story. 

12 minutes ago, the calvary said:

That is a great story. 

Thanks.  Here it is.

Tilbrook, Pretty Flamingo 09.12.99.jpg

In both cases...I prefer their early work

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Thanks.  Here it is.

Tremendous. Good job you've got neat handwriting and love the interspersing of notes! 

I know I heard a tune in the last while that was off their latest and I liked it.  Not enough to seek out the whole album on my own but it sounded pretty OK.  

I remember Glenn closing a show by unplugging his guitar and racing round and round the stalls of Leeds City Varieties singing California Dreaming. 

7 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Thanks.  Here it is.

That's brilliant. Why've you never told that one before. Cracking. 

Glenn and myself after the show.  I'm pretty sure I did tell him that the lyrics came from a Bruce bootleg.

glenn1918757_1153575373831_1608838_n.jpg

You should have included some "Hey Big Man..." stage rap stuff. That'd have foxed him.