Humphrey B Bear

Oz/NZ tour Jan Feb 2017

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

If the killer animals don’t get you...

• Like 3

You people won’t believe this, but I’m actually back in Oz at the moment for a few weeks. 

Place is as lethal as ever. And that’s just the women. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/4/2018 at 4:51 AM, Tenth Avenue said:

Update from Steve the Quokka- he's ok!! :D

Dsm4ryUW0AEi09p.jpg-large.jpg

I think I was served one of those as part of the Christmas Day barbie.......

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/4/2018 at 4:51 AM, Tenth Avenue said:

Update from Steve the Quokka- he's ok!! :D

Dsm4ryUW0AEi09p.jpg-large.jpg

I think I was served one of those as part of the Christmas Day barbie.......

1 hour ago, Raced Off The Street said:

You people won’t believe this, but I’m actually back in Oz at the moment for a few weeks. 

The dire state of our national cricket team has everyone a bit feral here at the moment...

• Haha 2

On 1/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, Raced Off The Street said:

I resemble that remark.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SydneyGirl said:

That has almost too much of a biblical theme tinge to it that one Daisey!

i thought it showed entrepreneuring spirit

• Haha 2

This thread would only be seven pages long without BBC's obsession with our wildlife...

• Haha 3

I am told by a friend at BBC Wales that there are stories about your killer wildlife that are too scary to publish and so these are just the ones that the censor clears :o

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, AMIW said:

Now you are just trying to make me nostalgic for my childhood when many a trip to the beach was "enlivened" by a bluebottle attaching itself to one of my extremities and I discovered a whole new vocabulary I did not realise I possessed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, SydneyGirl said:

Now you are just trying to make me nostalgic for my childhood when many a trip to the beach was "enlivened" by a bluebottle attaching itself to one of my extremities and I discovered a whole new vocabulary I did not realise I possessed.

Makes me want to urinate on my brother's leg, just for old times sake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Tanqueray&Wine said:

I was going to bring that up, but after @Daisey Jeep was ruefully disdained by the unknowing when she mentioned how to look after lemons I wasn’t game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Tanqueray&Wine said:

See, now if you aren't from near the beach in Australia, that's just gonna sound like a fetish.  Or something @Daisey Jeep does for a hobby ;)

Just to explain, @Tanqueray&Wine isn't a pervert (well, not based on that post) - if you get stung by a bluebottle, the short term fix to to pee on the welt to relieve the pain. Vinegar works better, but unless you own a seaside fish and chip shop, you're unlikely to be carrying any)

Urinating on Blue Ringed Octopus stings will not help.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/she-thought-it-was-beautiful-eleven-year-old-picks-up-blue-ringed-octopus-in-sydney-s-south-20190110-p50qn5.html

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, jukebox said:

See, now if you aren't from near the beach in Australia, that's just gonna sound like a fetish.  Or something @Daisey Jeep does for a hobby ;)

Just to explain, @Tanqueray&Wine isn't a pervert (well, not based on that post) - if you get stung by a bluebottle, the short term fix to to pee on the welt to relieve the pain. Vinegar works better, but unless you own a seaside fish and chip shop, you're unlikely to be carrying any)

Urinating on Blue Ringed Octopus stings will not help.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/she-thought-it-was-beautiful-eleven-year-old-picks-up-blue-ringed-octopus-in-sydney-s-south-20190110-p50qn5.html

It's actually a bit wider than Australia, I seem to recall a Friends episode that included a scene where one of the characters was stung by a jellyfish and they discuss peeing on the affected limb

• Like 2

Wasn't that the episode where Monica's lemon tree wouldn't grow?

• Haha 3

On 1/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

"It took many hours for vets to remove the 511 ticks from the animal's body.

But despite the agonising procedure, Nike still hasn't been given a clean bill of health.

"There are still tiny young ones under the scales that will be treated with drugs to kill them," Mr Harrison said.

A Currumbin Wildlife Hospital spokeswoman told the ABC that Nike was still in their care.

"We're running tests, trying to find out what's wrong with him," the spokeswoman said."

Trying to find out what's wrong with him???? What? The 511 ticks were not enough of a clue? Yikes. I know it probably means he was vulnerable to the ticks due to something else but wow what a line.

33 minutes ago, SydneyGirl said:

"It took many hours for vets to remove the 511 ticks from the animal's body.

But despite the agonising procedure, Nike still hasn't been given a clean bill of health.

"There are still tiny young ones under the scales that will be treated with drugs to kill them," Mr Harrison said.

A Currumbin Wildlife Hospital spokeswoman told the ABC that Nike was still in their care.

"We're running tests, trying to find out what's wrong with him," the spokeswoman said."

Trying to find out what's wrong with him???? What? The 511 ticks were not enough of a clue? Yikes. I know it probably means he was vulnerable to the ticks due to something else but wow what a line.

keep me informed if you can SydneyGirl

i feel so sorry for this snake

im glad wr live in a time where people help snakes - they might not be cuddly like a koala but they are people too ! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyGirl said:

Totally agree @Daisey Jeep although I am happier when they stay out of my yard (lost a cat to a snake once). I will see if I can find a followup.

Here you go Daisey. As of Sunday he appears to be on the mend.
https://thewest.com.au/news/animals/snake-catcher-rescues-python-covered-in-more-than-500-ticks-ng-b881072675z

sorry about your kitty 

nature is cruel

we have no shakes here thankfully - not even in a zoo

i hope Nike stays at the wildlife santury so he can stay far away from pets