Humphrey B Bear

Oz/NZ tour Jan Feb 2017

On 1/30/2019 at 8:25 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

must remember that doco is on about the underarm next week 

It’s on here on Monday night.

I remember watching the disgraceful episode. Brian McKechnie throwing his bat, Geoff Howarth running on field like a pork chop, disregarding the umpires and the laws of cricket. One team not accepting the other team winning fair and square.

Then the vilification by New Zealand of an Australian captain battling under the stress of mental illness.

I understand that all Kiwis are ashamed of what happened on that day, and @Daisey Jeep I accept your apology on behalf of all Australians.

:lol: ;)

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

I remember the watching the disgraceful episode. Brian McKechnie throwing his bat, Geoff Howarth running on field like a pork chop, disregarding the umpires and the laws of cricket. One team not accepting the other team winning fair and square.

Then the vilification by New Zealand of an Australian captain battling under the stress of mental illness.

I understand that all Kiwis are ashamed of what happened on that day, and I accept your apology on behalf of all Australians.

i was watching the cricket that day with my dad

i went to high school with Brian McKechnie's daughter

why do you get to see it a day before us ?

7 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i was watching the cricket that day with my dad

i went to high school with Brian McKechnie's daughter

why do you get to see it a day before us ?

So we can wallow in our rightful shame before you get red in the face with righteous indignation.

It was sad in many ways. Rod Marsh is shaking his head in disagreement, Trevor not wanting to do it but following the decision of the captain. 

The fact that the captain was both a giant of the game and his brother, it must have affected their relationship ever since.

I was disgusted at the time, but now it just makes me sad.

I’m glad the kiwis have moved on though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kent Guitar said:

So we can wallow in our rightful shame before you get red in the face with righteous indignation.

It was sad in many ways. Rod Marsh is shaking his head in disagreement, Trevor not wanting to do it but following the decision of the captain. 

The fact that the captain was both a giant of the game and his brother, it must have affected their relationship ever since.

i might have missed out on pre-BITUSA Bruce but growing up in the 80s i enjoyed our golden era of cricket 

at 11 those players were Gods to me 

how many cricketers have come and gone since then ....

i still love the game but I'd be just as happy watching some club side 

i never got into 20-20 

growing up in Dunedin i never got to go to a test. my dad and i used to go to the international and one or two Otago games a year. after he died i went on my own. i watched a 3 day match Otago vs England once but i was to shy to talk to the people around ne till the last day

going to see Bruce on your own is alot eaiser than going to cricket or rugby on your own

and i dpnt like all the hype and bullshit sport has now

people don't sit down amd watch the match, they wanted around the ground doing i dont know what the hell

the street i grew up in has a park called Culling park

it is home to Albion cricket club - the oldest continuous cricket club in Australasia (nonody can prove ig Melbourne has been continouse) 

i could sit on my varander and see and hear the wounderful sounds of leather on willow 

anyway my OH hates cricket

his mum and dad watched sport nonstop - nonstop . so he hates it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

A couple of blokes with access to sandpaper have since made this underarm incident look quite benign in comparison

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

I remember watching the disgraceful episode. Brian McKechnie throwing his bat, Geoff Howarth running on field like a pork chop, disregarding the umpires and the laws of cricket. One team not accepting the other team winning fair and square.

I understand that all Kiwis are ashamed of what happened on that day, and @Daisey Jeep I accept your apology on behalf of all Australians.

This is pretty funny. Well played

that was an amazing catch 

your all being very fucking quiet over there

you lot better be fighting bush fires or sand bagging Northern Queensland and not avoiding me 

9 hours ago, AMIW said:

killer crocs roaming  downtown Townsville, Queensland

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47112044

_105470490_dyfy5tmvyair5nf.jpg

We are a hardy lot. The story from the floods that got my attention this morning was a guy getting excited that a giant mud crab ended up in his gutter and was apparently happy that the bloke dragged him up on to the grass. Probably less happy when the bloke then cooked and ate him... if the wildlife don't get you, the humans will.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

your all being very fucking quiet over there

you lot better be fighting bush fires or sand bagging Northern Queensland and not avoiding me 

If you're referring to the Underarm special, it was on too late for me and I've recorded it on the old HD for future consumption.

Good chance that won't be until this coming weekend at the earliest.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

If you're referring to the Underarm special, it was on too late for me and I've recorded it on the old HD for future consumption.

Good chance that won't be until this coming weekend at the earliest.

:lol:

its having an encore screening again tonight ! 

17 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

:lol:

its having an encore screening again tonight ! 

I caught the second half last night, it was interesting, but more for the people it interviewed and the aftermath than the event itself.

As you say Daisey - they were gods to us then (for me the Australian team). Most interesting was the various players on both sides who are all kinda meh about it now. I suppose 35 years of having to talk about it will do that.

I do know from reading other stuff, that Trevor is probably sick of hearing about it.

1 hour ago, kenjisan said:

I caught the second half last night, it was interesting, but more for the people it interviewed and the aftermath than the event itself.

As you say Daisey - they were gods to us then (for me the Australian team). Most interesting was the various players on both sides who are all kinda meh about it now. I suppose 35 years of having to talk about it will do that.

I do know from reading other stuff, that Trevor is probably sick of hearing about it.

I accidentally stumbled on it last night and lasted about 5 minutes. I thought Chappell was wrong about it at the time but figured it did not need to be rehashed AGAIN 35 years later. God help us when the 5/10/20/30 year anniversaries of the sandpaper kerfuffle happen.

• Haha 1

how many years between thebDon playing and the bodyline movie ?

if you look back over this thread i have never been the one to bring this disgusting incident up 

cricket is surposed to be about more than winning

Brian McKinney was never going to hit a six to achieve a tie 

one thing that did impress me was the open acknowledgment of some of the Aussie team that they didnt approve of what happened

those players have gone up markedly in my estimations so that in itself was worth the doco

in polite conversation i can turn the other check but its unforgivable conduct as is using sandpaper for that matter

its called cheating

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

how many years between thebDon playing and the bodyline movie ?

if you look back over this thread i have never been the one to bring this disgusting incident up 

cricket is surposed to be about more than winning

Brian McKinney was never going to hit a six to achieve a tie 

one thing that did impress me was the open acknowledgment of some of the Aussie team that they didnt approve of what happened

those players have gone up markedly in my estimations so that in itself was worth the doco

in polite conversation i can turn the other check but its unforgivable conduct as is using sandpaper for that matter

its called cheating

Greg Chappell would've been the only person in Australia who would've approved of what occurred at the time.

To be fair, I don't think it was strictly cheating. Certainly absolutely contrary to the spirit of the game, but not a breach of the rules as they stood at the time.

The sandpaper incident OTOH is unambiguously cheating and much worse than the underarm disgrace

• Like 3

Oh, and Bruce please come back to Australia. 

(Attempt to prevent any towing of this thread)

• Bruuuuce! 2

38 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Greg Chappell would've been the only person in Australia who would've approved of what occurred at the time.

To be fair, I don't think it was strictly cheating. Certainly absolutely contrary to the spirit of the game, but not a breach of the rules as they stood at the time.

The sandpaper incident OTOH is unambiguously cheating and much worse than the underarm disgrace

I don't think a single Australian approved of what he did, his explanation/excuses for it over the years haven't really cut it to me. The spirit of the game was not there, sure the letter of the law was maintained but that's BS and most fans called him out at the time.

The Australian team lost me in the Ponting/Monkey gate period, no excuse for the bully boy behaviour that they had been carrying on for years. Arrogance/Hubris and the sense of entitlement was out of control then, and the ACB not doing anything about it are to blame for the cheating more recently. It is a direct result of that era and the ACB unwilling to see the team sledging as anything more than "good tough fun". If they had rethought things back then, Warner and his arrogant sledging would not have been part of the "leadership" (and possibly he wouldn't have been in the team given his behaviour) and he wouldn't have told a young newbie to get the sandpaper.

Sorry bit of a rant - I used to love following the cricket, but the past few years....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Yep - listening to the second Melbourne night from 2017 ATM

Wish I could forget the drunken Irish woman that was right in front of me being really annoying. Would still put up with it any day for another show.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kenjisan said:

Yep - listening to the second Melbourne night from 2017 ATM

Wish I could forget the drunken Irish woman that was right in front of me being really annoying. Would still put up with it any day for another show.

i had older middle aged woman fighting /drunk/crying/pushing in Chch

the cities finest mothers setting such a good example

3 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

Let’s not forget Bruce 

Edgar was not out at the other end.

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 4

i have been saying the best thing about Bruce is that at the end of the night 

everybody wins !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i have been saying the best thing about Bruce is that at the end of the night 

everybody wins !

Daisey I was not endorsing the sandpaper thing. I think they were justly punished for their cheating and frankly their stupidity but given the pitiful punishment similar infractions committed by South African and English players have garnered the hullabaloo was over the top. Particularly as it immediately seemed to wipe from memory the SA players comments about a certain vice captain's wife.

As to Bruce I think he needs to come back and play a fundraising gig for the natural disasters of late and then settle into a house on Palm Beach for some post Broadway R&R. A couple of months on the beach spending the occasional evening popping into local pubs to watch some band try to eke out a living would do his soul a world of good.

• Like 3