Humphrey B Bear

Oz/NZ tour Jan Feb 2017

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Raced Off The Street said:

How will people feel if Tom Morello pitches up on this tour? 

Personally, I'd love to see Tom back next year. I thought he really added something to the band and he went down a storm at all the concerts I attended. I realise this opinion may not reflect that of all GL members! Sorry Daisey.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

There's no definitive answer for this.  It starts when it starts!  Based on my experience on the last tour, if you begin queueing 2 days before the show, you will have a very low number.  Usually, there are 3 or 4 times per day that the roll is called.  This can vary if heat is extreme - c/f Adelaide.

I didn't go too hard on this - the earliest I participated was the day before and I think I got a number in the fifties.  Unless you want to be leaning on the stage in the centre, you will get a great view with anything under 200.

Anyone else have more to say on this?

 

I guess it depends whether being in the first couple of rows is important. I've never ended up more than about 8-10 rows back and that's even when I've turned up an hour or so before the concert. To me Bruce sounds just as good from 10 metres away as he does from touching distance.

For Melbourne I will be definitely be joining the pit queue the day before or very early on concert day. It's a massive GA and you could finish up a very long way from the stage.

Boondall (Brisbane) is in the outer suburbs about a 30 minute train ride from the CBD followed by a 10-15 minute walk to the venue, if you were doing multiple roll calls you'd probably just stay there all day. Problem is it's surrounded by bush and residential streets so not much to keep you amused. I wouldn't queue there for more than a day max.

Personally if I'd travelled to the other side of the world, I'd be minimising the time spent in pit queues.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done the whole role call thing a few times, and at others turned up an hour before the show and only ended up about 6 rows further back. Once the excitement of touching his guitar or shaking his hand is experienced - I reckon standing a bit further back is better. No wasted hours and - the sound is actually better.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Raced Off The Street said:

How will people feel if Tom Morello pitches up on this tour? 

I will need horse  tranquilizers

then of course I will just be greatful to be seeing Bruce Springsteen snd the ESB

please please  the striped down river tour band 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to hear Bruce make his guitar  howl  and from what I've heard he's been doing a dam fine job of it this river tour 

I love Nils

I love Steve 

but Bruce Springsteen is my favorite guitarist 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ozboss1999 said:

I've done the whole role call thing a few times, and at others turned up an hour before the show and only ended up about 6 rows further back. Once the excitement of touching his guitar or shaking his hand is experienced - I reckon standing a bit further back is better. No wasted hours and - the sound is actually better.

 

I agree completely.  I would also add that it's not very pleasant in the front of those massive pits (MEL/AKL).  The later shows I spent a fair way back and had a much better time.

I would also urge those coming from a long way away - don't waste your time in queuing - get out and see the joint! Get there mid afternoon and you will have a great spot.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Hanging Rock in 2013 and both Adelaide's in 2014. Strolled in to the front GA about 45-60 minutes before Bruce came on. Was never further than 7 or 8 "rows" back from the stage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

I agree completely.  I would also add that it's not very pleasant in the front of those massive pits (MEL/AKL).  The later shows I spent a fair way back and had a much better time.

I would also urge those coming from a long way away - don't waste your time in queuing - get out and see the joint! Get there mid afternoon and you will have a great spot.

Well said Humphrey and Gartloney Rat. In Melbourne, where the pit is so massive, I think it's worth being in the front half of it. If you get your Melbourne pit number by @11am on concert day there that should get you in @350 - 400, so about 12 rows back. In 2014 we all had lots of personal space in the front half of the front standing area - the people in the rear half (of the front GA) seemed to be much more jammed in, so worth getting there by late morning to avoid that. Otherwise, go out and enjoy the sights. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gartloney Rat said:

Personally, I'd love to see Tom back next year. I thought he really added something to the band and he went down a storm at all the concerts I attended. I realise this opinion may not reflect that of all GL members! Sorry Daisey.

I'll be happy with whoever Bruce dishes up. But I'd love to see Patti this time - she's missed the last two Australian tours. And I do hope Steve's not away filming again - Bruce seems more relaxed when Steve's up there with him and I do enjoy their antics.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

I agree completely.  I would also add that it's not very pleasant in the front of those massive pits (MEL/AKL).  The later shows I spent a fair way back and had a much better time.

I would also urge those coming from a long way away - don't waste your time in queuing - get out and see the joint! Get there mid afternoon and you will have a great spot.

Agreed, I was very close to the front in Melbourne last time. It would be no place for claustrophobics  I stood up for close to 9 hours with very little space to move. Luckily my neighbours were great. A guy near to me had a heart attack and the first aiders were doing CPR on him for 10 minutes or so, no idea if he made it but it didn't look good. Maybe I'll stay further back this time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-12-05 at 2:17 PM, Rasmus said:

My best friend, side-kick and business partner is leaving me to move back down and live with his family in Perth. He was only supposed to stay here in cold Denmark for 6 months - this is now 12 years, a wife, 3 kids and two businesses ago. He flyes out on the 10th of january and will be back in Perth just in time for Bruce. He has seen him live twice with me; Roskilde '12 and Ullevi this summer. I had to buy him tickets for opening night in Perth as a going away present.

We fought hard together for the last decade building two strong companies from scratch and now just before we make it big - he leaves. His name is Steve... 

I hope Bruce plays Bobby Jean for him!

Kinda strange buying Bruce tickets when I'm not attending the show myself...

What a thoughtful gesture. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I will need horse  tranquilizers

then of course I will just be greatful to be seeing Bruce Springsteen snd the ESB

please please  the striped down river tour band 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm just hoping I can scope his down-under shows; it would really be fun to share it with you Daisey. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gartloney Rat said:

Agreed, I was very close to the front in Melbourne last time. It would be no place for claustrophobics  I stood up for close to 9 hours with very little space to move. Luckily my neighbours were great. A guy near to me had a heart attack and the first aiders were doing CPR on him for 10 minutes or so, no idea if he made it but it didn't look good. Maybe I'll stay further back this time.

how awful

I'm not sure if I'll do roll call

it waa cool being on the front rail being so close to Bruce but I couldn't actually see the back of the stage and I like my personal space - I had a sign poking me in the backside all night I did not appreciate 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definatly agree about the points of getting out and visiting the city Bruce is playing in

this time I plan to enjoy the facilities of the hotel - not just getting the front desk to call me a taxi every 4 hours 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That all sounds reasonably civilised. Have no desire to be pressing up against the stage so rocking up on the day will do me fine. Thanks all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gartloney Rat said:

Agreed, I was very close to the front in Melbourne last time. It would be no place for claustrophobics  I stood up for close to 9 hours with very little space to move. Luckily my neighbours were great. A guy near to me had a heart attack and the first aiders were doing CPR on him for 10 minutes or so, no idea if he made it but it didn't look good. Maybe I'll stay further back this time.

He was there with a mate of mine. I can confirm that he did pull through. Great work by everyone involved definitely saved a life that day. In fact you could probably say that his life was saved because he was at a Bruce concert. Had help not been so readily available, it may well have been a different outcome. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pssturges said:

He was there with a mate of mine. I can confirm that he did pull through. Great work by everyone involved definitely saved a life that day. In fact you could probably say that his life was saved because he was at a Bruce concert. Had help not been so readily available, it may well have been a different outcome. 

How fantastic to hear the outcome of this story.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pssturges said:

He was there with a mate of mine. I can confirm that he did pull through. Great work by everyone involved definitely saved a life that day. In fact you could probably say that his life was saved because he was at a Bruce concert. Had help not been so readily available, it may well have been a different outcome. 

That is great to know I have often wondered what the outcome was. I'm a First Aider myself so I know what the odds are like. St John members were doing a brilliant job.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pssturges said:

He was there with a mate of mine. I can confirm that he did pull through. Great work by everyone involved definitely saved a life that day. In fact you could probably say that his life was saved because he was at a Bruce concert. Had help not been so readily available, it may well have been a different outcome. 

best wishes to you friend next time you catch up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

I'm just hoping I can scope his down-under shows; ..... :)

'scopes will, of course, be upside down from down here!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it will also be summer in the down under islands and periscope waves will probably not survive the heat

SummerinAustralia.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly Bruce likes the heat.  He keeps coming here at the height of summer.  I bet they'll have Heatwave (or something like it) down pat this time. Any thoughts on another "Why is it so fucking hot here?" song?  

Kiss - Hotter then Hell - unlikely.

The Heat is on - I hope not,.

Burning Love - hmmm

Blister in the Sun - that would be funny

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Man, my vertigo's going to go mental.

Don't expect any scopes out of Hanging Rock unless someone hacks Gudinski's wifi. It was hard to get even a text message there last time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.