Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

4 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

But again, all the clubs cheat, Man City got caught, and they only got caught only by a whistle blower who leaked the emails. 

So they have to be punished. The whole "yeah, but others do it too" is just an admission of guilt. I understand it stings, but City agreed to the FFP rules, then went on to break them anyway. Serves them right, I'd say.

You ask how should City compete with the heavyweights of european football if they're not allowed to spend more than they make. Why should they be granted that luxury that hundreds of other european clubs don't have? Hundreds of clubs with long histories, that economize honestly and within the rules, that are not some rich sugar daddy's toy. City with the Sheiks money had resources that most clubs can only dream of. Yet they still wanted more and decided to cheat.

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a day off today and, at one point, I found myself in Asda in Inverness.   Two young lads, I'd guess no older than 20ish, who worked there were chatting in one of the aisles when I pass

So they have to be punished. The whole "yeah, but others do it too" is just an admission of guilt. I understand it stings, but City agreed to the FFP rules, then went on to break them anyway. Serves t

As far as Barça is concerned, they haven't spent more than they have earned. Not yet at least! There's already a big hole in the financials of this season. They have to generate 120 million until June

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

It will be never then, as this years club isn't strong enough be beat the lower end of the EPL(which happens to be the difference in the spend from LFC)  more less Real Madrid. 

Can't see it happening idd. But stranger things have happened though, when Liverpool won the CL in 2005 we were nowhere near being one of the best teams in Europe. Can't win the league anymore so City should focus on the CL. That could be an advantage compared to the big clubs who are still fighting for league titles. Beating Real could be the big boost City needs in Europe. Then again, it's not in City's DNA to excel in Europe. Will be an interesting matchup for sure.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yeah, I believe the ones that will really lose in this whole deal, are the players. 

excuse me while i cry over players earning over 200k a week, absolutely no sympathy with them most of them just chase the money, again it will be the fan who loses

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

Fair penalty to City.

Now on to PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Oh they are from France and Spain, not England.

Nevermind..

As far as Barça is concerned, they haven't spent more than they have earned. Not yet at least! There's already a big hole in the financials of this season. They have to generate 120 million until June 30 otherwise they can't balance the books. That would also give the members the right to impeach the president. One can only hope that happens.

But you're right! Throw the book at them. All of them.

The City-case is still different, though. They did not only spend more than they had (like Milan or PSG) they cooked the books and actually comitted fraud.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

More importantly United are still shit.

The CL ban and the draw against the European champions / World champions / soon to be English champions are the 2 highlights of their season. Enough said. 

6 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

excuse me while i cry over players earning over 200k a week, absolutely no sympathy with them most of them just chase the money, again it will be the fan who loses

So we have an owner willing to spend his money to make his club better. How does the fan lose? 

Someone who liked this statement actually stop going to matches because their owner won't spend any money.

Yeah, I think the owners should all keep their money, fuck the players who actually bring fans to the stadiums and in my case the TV.

36 minutes ago, Perisic said:

The CL ban and the draw against the European champions / World champions / soon to be English champions are the 2 highlights of their season. Enough said. 

We just threw in a draw to make the league look strong otherwise you would have won every single league game this season :lol:

I think their punishment is extremely lenient. Their accounts are a complete and utter fabrication. They’ve only been found guilty of a minor offence, it’s like Al Capone only getting done for tax evasion.

Their name is mud now whatever happens, Man City, the Lance Armstrong of The Champions League.

Every single player in their squad will be considering their future.

18 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yeah, I believe the ones that will really lose in this whole deal, are the players. 

But again, all the clubs cheat, Man City got caught, and they only got caught only by a whistle blower who leaked the emails. 

And not to pick on LFC, but just an example. Fenway Sports has a lot of places to hide and or add money from. 

You do realize that saying "we only we got caught because someone leaked what we fraudulently concealed from the leagues" is not a good look, right? The facts of what they did are not at issue AFAIK.

• Like 1

I agree with you Jim. They were caught by a whistle blower(I believe someone who may have been fired from the club) and now should be punished. All I was trying to say is other clubs could be hiding the same type offenses. I used LFC as example, being part of Fenway Sports, where a lot of money can be shuffled around within the different clubs/stadiums/TV stations. 

So we move on to league 2. ;), if the FA has any balls.

i doubt they will be relegated to division 4 but how about a more serious punishment as they are forced to sign mustafi, Phil Jones and BAM to play in a dream/nightmare back four alongside John stones

Spoiler
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, AMIW said:

i doubt they will be relegated to division 4 but how about a more serious punishment as they are forced to sign mustafi, Phil Jones and BAM to play in a dream/nightmare back four alongside John stones

Reveal hidden contents

That would surely put in League 2 or 4

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

So we have an owner willing to spend his money to make his club better. How does the fan lose? 

Someone who liked this statement actually stop going to matches because their owner won't spend any money.

Yeah, I think the owners should all keep their money, fuck the players who actually bring fans to the stadiums and in my case the TV.

NUFC have an owner who will not invest in the future of the club, and hasn't done so for 13 seasons I fail to see how you can connect the two clubs  ( yet another cheap shot at me ?)

I agreed and liked @steve54uk post because he said the fans will suffer, he is correct.

The real fans ( hard core loyal man city fans who used to go when they were in the 3rd division) the fans who will now not be able to watch that fantastic team play in the champions league for one year  ( it will be one not two)  are the ones who will suffer, those who actually go to the match home and away. The footballers who are on a 100 grand a week i don't feel sorry for...and never will

Plastic jump on the bandwagon glory hunters fans who watch it on the telly will be pissed off.so what !

Man city have a rich owner who has broke the rules, cheated. It fuckin' stinks !

I hope all the rich money grabbing tossers who own football clubs crash and burn, i include Newcastle United in that, hoy this crap in @MagicRatAFC thread. 

I'd gladly give up the best league in the world if it meant bringing the game back to the proper fans..what do you reckon @dr winston oboogie and @MagicRatAFC

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
15 hours ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

I think their punishment is extremely lenient. Their accounts are a complete and utter fabrication. They’ve only been found guilty of a minor offence, it’s like Al Capone only getting done for tax evasion.

Their name is mud now whatever happens, Man City, the Lance Armstrong of The Champions League.

Every single player in their squad will be considering their future.

Their transfer policy will be interesting now that former Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson has been appointed as their new Director of Football. 

• Haha 2

In this current crazy world doesn't it just come down to who has the best lawyers rather than who's done what? City could throw 50 million at lawyers & still be better off if they win the appeal.

I suppose it all depends on what the emails actually say,even so just because you've been caught standing over a body covered in blood with a knife in your hand doesn't mean a lawyer won't do everything they can to get you off.

There are some very murky waters out there at the moment & clubs will use anyway they can to get through them.

6 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

In this current crazy world doesn't it just come down to who has the best lawyers rather than who's done what? City could throw 50 million at lawyers & still be better off if they win the appeal.

I suppose it all depends on what the emails actually say,even so just because you've been caught standing over a body covered in blood with a knife in your hand doesn't mean a lawyer won't do everything they can to get you off.

There are some very murky waters out there at the moment & clubs will use anyway they can to get through them.

Very true. They reckon the court case could be streamed on live TV like the OJ Simpson trial. And we all know how that ended up. 

• Sad 1

10 days to appeal to CAS, reportedly City has been preparing this for a year or more so that deadline isn't an issue. CAS is prepared to fast-track the appeal to complete it before the next CL season starts.

While 2 years seems long, if the facts as alleged are proven then a year for the FFP violation and a second year for the fraud associated with the concealment seems justified. If City wins the appeal then FFP is gutted, as is UEFA.

If the 2 year ban is upheld then I expect (1) Pep leaves; (2) Sterling to Real (€150mm+); (3) KDB is 28, nearly 29, he can't lose 2-3 years of playing in the highest profile competition - no idea the value, IIRC I've seen €55-60mm; (4) Jesus?; (5) Bernardo?; LaPorte?; (6) Mahrez?; (7) Sané - to Germany for sure; (8) Mendy - to France?; (9) Walker is 29, his movement is probably guided by whether he could retain an England spot w/o a move, or even with one; (10) Gündogan?; (11) Foden - I think he stays for the rebuild; (12) Cancelo? reportedly unhappy with his playing time already.

The biggest problem is that with FFP a fire sale sucks. There is only so much cash that other clubs can splash, so trying to sell €300-500mm of players in one window is nearly impossible. City would have to go that route, as keeping the players for the season 3 years out is impossible (see KDB and Walker, for example). They would have to sell, reinvest, and rebuild as the only intelligent route. Poch would be great for them IMO, 2 years with only the league and domestic cups, the chance to build a squad in his image quickly given the amount of known shifts that would be required. If done right the pain could be assuaged by the prospect of an exciting rebuild, the opportunity actively to engage the fans in the rebuild.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

NUFC have an owner who will not invest in the future of the club, and hasn't done so for 13 seasons I fail to see how you can connect the two clubs  ( yet another cheap shot at me ?)

I agreed and liked @steve54uk post because he said the fans will suffer, he is correct.

The real fans ( hard core loyal man city fans who used to go when they were in the 3rd division) the fans who will now not be able to watch that fantastic team play in the champions league for one year  ( it will be one not two)  are the ones who will suffer, those who actually go to the match home and away. The footballers who are on a 100 grand a week i don't feel sorry for...and never will

Plastic jump on the bandwagon glory hunters fans who watch it on the telly will be pissed off.so what !

Man city have a rich owner who has broke the rules, cheated. It fuckin' stinks !

I hope all the rich money grabbing tossers who own football clubs crash and burn, i include Newcastle United in that, hoy this crap in @MagicRatAFC thread. 

I'd gladly give up the best league in the world if it meant bringing the game back to the proper fans..what do you reckon @dr winston oboogie and @MagicRatAFC

On the money Roy.

In the last generation the game of football has changed beyond all recognition from the sport we watched growing up.

Not for the better.

The days when the guys who passed of their hard-earned weekly to get in and watch games were the club's life-blood has long gone.

Season ticket holders are.....not even an irrelevance, they're an irritant.

Clubs would much rather have foreign tourists paying 3 figure sums for a ticket, in the seat, as well as multiples of that in the club megastore.

Now it's about "media rights" and "commercial partners" because that's where the moolah is.

Look at Man U.

In every sense of the word one of the biggest clubs in the world.

What they're putting out on the park currently is an absolute joke, so you'd reckon the executives and directors might be feeling the heat a wee bit from ownership.

No, because the corporate end of the club seems to be holding up, this makes the twats who own the thing happy.

There's a parallel version  going on in Scotland not with the same figures, obviously, but in terms of resources being diverted the way of effectively two teams.

In all walks of football Bosman ended "trickle-down" economics.

Then you factor in Murdoch's millions to the English games, overseas media rights, shrewd marketing and you're left with the shit-show we see now.

A couple of clubs in England, Citeh and Chelski, were recipients of the right sugar daddies at the right time, so found their way to the "top table".

Historically, they're clubs, in an infrastructure sense, that are no bigger than Villa, Newcastle, Wolves, certainly Everton, Sunderland........yet now they're  "elite".

The aim of the elite clubs has been, for a long time, to end football as a meritocracy and render it a closed shop in favour of their cartel.

The days of Villa, Forest, Ipswich (and by extension Aberdeen and Dundee United) tearing it up in Europe are gone.

The days of Malmo, Steau, Red Star, Brugges, even Eintracht Frankfurt, participants in the best European Cup Final ever, making a European Cup final seems like a pipe dream now.

FFP is an attempt (a King Canute-esque attempt) to assuage that to some extent, but it wont work.

I'm sure Citeh fans do feel hard done by, but they've watched it playing out, they've watched their sugar daddy showing how deep his pockets are, now they've got to have the payback.

I've been saying for long enough, there's a tipping point coming in English football, who knows when, but the current model is long term unsustainable.

When I was a lad it used to cost, roughly, the same to get into the match as it did to the cinema.

I've no idea how much a match ticket is for a top end English first division game, I'll wager way too much for a joiner from Moss-side to go weekly with his two lads.

The difficulty thereafter is, if the said joiner's two lads don't get imbibed with the love we did at a young age, and they won't being "subscribers" rather than fans, what happens generations down the line when childhood apathy tuns into adult apathy.

When the going gets tough, the tourists won't stick around through thick and thin like our generation and if there's no next generation coming through, the owners and execs will be looking a dead golden goose.

It's a shite state of affairs Tommy..........

• Like 2