Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

10 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Once again poor ref favours "moneybags" Man City, how often must this happen before others latch on, the goal scorer should not have even been on the field of play.

Hey Doc, did I miss something? Why shouldn't have LaPorte been on the field? 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a day off today and, at one point, I found myself in Asda in Inverness.   Two young lads, I'd guess no older than 20ish, who worked there were chatting in one of the aisles when I pass

So they have to be punished. The whole "yeah, but others do it too" is just an admission of guilt. I understand it stings, but City agreed to the FFP rules, then went on to break them anyway. Serves t

will he finally solve their left back problem?

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey Doc, did I miss something? Why shouldn't have LaPorte been on the field? 

i read about this today...something about he should have been booked earlier so second booking would have caused a red card

• Thanks 1

I was driving all day back from the east coast. So didn't see the match until this morning. And I really didn't notice the first offense. If's and buts we all would be millionaires. But if the first card was given out, maybe is more cautious about the second card. 

5 minutes ago, robk1 said:

i read about this today...something about he should have been booked earlier so second booking would have caused a red card

And if my aunt had balls... 

This assumes LaPorte would have played the same way and gotten the second card or it assumes that he wouldn't that suddenly would have brought the Spurs to life and handed them the trophy.  Rubbish. 

There isn't a team in England who doesn't have a squawk with the refs this season and fair enough; a lot of those squawks are legitimate (the state of officiating in the game could take two or three threads) but at the end of the day they mostly even out.  Spurs played badly and deserved to get beat.

• Like 2

Nice article, and yes, I enjoyed the appreciation of Poch. Pep and Citeh are certainly the strongest in the time I've been following the EPL, and Spurs lost more than they won against them. BUT, when Spurs played well those were thrilling games.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/psg-v-manchester-city-how-pep-guardiola-followed-mauricio-pochettinos-blueprint-55t5stpmj

PSG v Manchester City: How Pep Guardiola followed Mauricio Pochettino’s blueprint

Guardiola will tonight resume rivalry with a manager he respects and has even imitated, writes Pol Ballús

Pol Ballús

Wednesday April 28 2021, 12.01am BST, The Times

On April 20, 2019, Pep Guardiola walked into the Etihad Stadium off the back of one of the most painful setbacks of his managerial career. They were facing Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League, the team who three days earlier had knocked them out of the Champions League in — for City, at least — traumatic fashion.

The story of the quarter-final second leg is well documented: a seven-goal thriller, Fernando Llorente’s crucial strike deflected in off his arm and a last-gasp Raheem Sterling “winner” chalked off by VAR. Within a matter of seconds, City’s European dream shattered into a million pieces.

Throughout a relentless encounter, Pochettino had been hyperactive on the touchline, constantly barking instructions to his players. When the sides crossed paths later that week in the league, it was like a different man was coaching Tottenham. The Argentinian manager spent the entire 90 minutes sitting on the bench, legs crossed, not once strolling to the touchline to give his players advice.

City won 1-0 thanks to Phil Foden’s fifth-minute header but Pochettino’s attitude left the home side distinctly unimpressed. “I guess he thought his job was already done in Manchester that week,” recalled one member of the home bench that afternoon.

That episode two years ago remains the moment at which relations between Guardiola and Pochettino were most fraught. A rivalry which began as captains of Barcelona and Espanyol in La Liga continues with these two world-renowned managers leading City and Paris Saint-Germain into the first leg of the Champions League semi-final.

Those among Guardiola’s inner circle regard Pochettino, 49, with the utmost respect. He has defeated the Catalan three times and only José Mourinho and Jürgen Klopp have played more matches against him. When Guardiola, 50, arrived in England in 2016, he was struck by the tactical flexibility of Pochettino’s Spurs.

“Pochettino’s Tottenham is the team that changed his [Guardiola’s] system more times in the same game,” the Catalan’s former assistant, Domènec Torrent, said in 2018. “We had to change some details two or three times in-game.

Pochettino, right, watched his Spurs team beat Guardiola’s City 2-0 in their first Premier League meeting in October 2016

“There were games when Pochettino started with two lines of four starting from the back. Then he changed into a diamond in midfield, he moved pieces like [Christian] Eriksen, [Dele] Alli . . . and we had to adapt to that. In England we have changed systems less than in other countries. Mainly because, here, a lot of managers do not modify their system. Or at least there are not many.”

In that regard, Pochettino was brave and daring at Spurs. It will not come as a surprise, however, if PSG sit back against City at home and wait for opportunities to counterattack. This was how PSG played against Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals and is an approach that Spurs have taken against City.

In his nine duels against Guardiola in England, Pochettino’s team averaged 43 per cent possession. Their most was a 48 per cent with the least, 34 per cent, in the match when Pochettino did not get up off the bench. Tonight he can certainly rely on Neymar and Kylian Mbappé to make deadly runs in behind.

Yet Pochettino has been most successful against City when he has combined ruthless counterattacking with the ability to build up play from the back. After Guardiola’s first year in the Premier League, in which City finished eight points behind second-placed Tottenham, he was impressed by the way that Pochettino used his full backs, Kyle Walker and Danny Rose, to play out from the back.

“Walker and Rose are unstoppable when they go forward — they are the best full backs in the league, English people must be happy to have these guys,” Guardiola said after a 2-2 draw with Spurs in January 2017. When City decided to overhaul their defence that summer, their eyes trained on Tottenham.

“We considered both options, Walker and Rose,” a senior City source told The Times. “Both were very good but we knew that Spurs were only going to sell us one. We analysed the cases and believed the one we needed the most was Kyle.”

Walker was in the light blue of City by the time they blew away Spurs in a friendly in Nashville in the summer of 2017

Having taken inspiration from Pochettino, it was in a meeting with Tottenham in the following pre-season that the foundations of Guardiola’s first league title in England were laid. The venue was Nashville, Tennessee, and City put in a near-perfect performance as they blew away Spurs 3-0.

“At half-time, I stood in front of the team and told them: record that first half. That’s exactly how we have to play from now on,” Guardiola said in a 2018 interview for the book Pep’s City: the Making of a Superteam.

“We were absolutely flying from the start. A lot of the things we did in that game showed us that we could do it against Tottenham, one of the best teams in England the year before, second in the league, they conceded few goals . . . and in that first half we could have ended up 7-0. We missed crazy chances. On that point I said to myself: ‘Ok, we can be good.’ ”

City would go on to become the first team to amass 100 points in an English top-flight campaign, clinching the 2017-18 Premier League title with five matches to spare with a 3-1 win over Tottenham at Wembley. It would be fitting if Guardiola ends his ten-year exile from the Champions League final with another victory over Pochettino.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still don't feel good about this. 2 very weak goals. Had PSG down to 10, should have went after another. 

I'm just glad both teams got out of there without someone going to the hospital! 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Still don't feel good about this. 2 very weak goals. Had PSG down to 10, should have went after another. 

I'm just glad both teams got out of there without someone going to the hospital! 

Dont fret - I thought you guys looked really good in this game.  You were already 2-1 up when the red card came, and you controlled it easily from that point.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Dont fret - I thought you guys looked really good in this game.  You were already 2-1 up when the red card came, and you controlled it easily from that point.

Most of wraps I've seen so far seem to lean in the direction that MC gave PSG a real hiding in the second half once Pep had the fullbacks come up.  

25 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Most of wraps I've seen so far seem to lean in the direction that MC gave PSG a real hiding in the second half once Pep had the fullbacks come up.  

I'd agree with that.  It was a big call, knowing how dangerous PSG could be if they got in behind but it was the right call.  

• Like 2

This match would be out of range already if my boy didn't have a couple hiccups. 

I did like the substitution of Zinc for Cancelo.

One last think, that crack in that PSG wall was bigger then the US border.:D

26 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Foden back where he belongs and the donkey is suspended

My boy is being held back for Tuesday. Stones can play Tuesday also.

This is dull, I'm off out for a walk. Without Foden and De Bruyne City are lacking creativity.

Ignore that, great goal!

32 minutes ago, AMIW said:

it is hailing in manchester - the gods are angry that Foden isnt keeping the bench warm

Looks as they are shoveling snow off the pitch. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Verratti, Herrera and Dino on the pitch. Odd on the first yellow? 

Herrera is the winner! 

• Haha 1