Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Jimmy James

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Just shows how hard it is to win both the PL and CL together in the same season, in modern day football. It’s only ever been done twice. 

Fucking small time waving your dick about in this thread. Where have you been for the last 4 days?!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Never been so disappointed after a sporting event in my life. And that something I don't say lightly, after the Cardinals lost the 1985 and 1987 World Series. I was so sure this was the year. 

There are also a lot of city fans who had disappointments between 1976 and 2011. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Pep. The question marks are bigger than ever after tonight. Greatest manager of his generation, not a chance.

He keeps going back to this False 9 crap. That worked with Messi, because it was Messi. 

Someone once said "you win nothing with donkeys", until City get rid of The Donkey they will always fail, he was dire again last night. The day before the game Pep said that his boys would have to suffer to win the cup, too many of them did not have the stomach for the fight when it mattered, too often any contact and they fell like a ten pin and looked up pleadingly, when they needed to roll up their sleeves and get down to the job in hand and suffer for the cause very few of them wanted to do this apart from Zinchenko, who did not deserve to be on the losing side.

8 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Pep. The question marks are bigger than ever after tonight. Greatest manager of his generation, not a chance.

I watched Utd on weds & thought that was bad yet somehow Pep managed to top it.I looked at the City team & just thought that it gave Chelsea a better chance.

Comparing the 2 you could almost forgive Ole,he hasn't the experience as a manger but for Pep to get it that wrong is worrying.

Surely he watched the game on weds yet allowed Tuchel to execute the same plan as Emery did.

The super cup game between the 2 of them should be interesting.

As will the PL next season,Chelsea have set down a marker not only with that result but the results since Tuchel took over.

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Never been so disappointed after a sporting event in my life. 

Ah, but you weren't there the day City lost a league match to York City.

Fortunes have differed ever so slightly since that day.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, AMIW said:

Only two trophies this season that’s got to hurt

Meh... it's a good season by any measure.  I'm not too upset about it, disappointed a bit but not upset.  The fact is there are a couple of other clubs that ended the season with big handful of air and no silver.  Looking over the line up sheet, absent any other information, I'd say Pep out smarted himself again.  At this point its kind of funny.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

No questions from me; he wins and he wins a lot.  You look around the PL and who would I swap with?  MU?  :lol:  Liverpool?  Maybe - but I think I want to see how he rebounds (or doesnt) next season (mind you it would be interesting).  Anybody else?  Not really.  Pep did a remarkable job this season and he does have a habit it doing just that.  

• Haha 1

He totally screwed up in Porto, big time. The press were gobsmacked when the team sheets came out. No Rodhri. No Fernandinho. A bit like CFC starting without Kante and Jorginho.....and going with an eyeballs out front 5 of Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Mount, and Ziyech.

The Arabs must be quietly livid. What was Pep thinking ? Arrogance maybe ? Who cares. He cocked it up.....again. 

Well done Chelsea.....confounded all the media peeps who were clearly pining for a City win. Shame, that....scouser Lawrenson obviously included.

On 70 minutes, Darren Fletcher enthused “Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Aguero is warming up”. He never had a kick ! Go-eth forth and multiply, Sergio, lol.

City were dealt a very harsh lesson last night....and it was brilliant to watch.

Interesting comments about Pep here...

When you analyse Pep in England you have to consider a few things.

Over 50% of the trophies he has won are Capital One/ Carabao Cups where most teams field a weakened team even at the semi final stage but Pep always fields a strong team even in early rounds - remember when he played a strong team against Burton?

Since joining Man City in 2016: - £62m on Goalkeepers. - £425m on Defenders. - £152m on Midfielders - £205m on Attackers. £844m spent on players in 5 years and the club has still won the same amount of Champions Leagues as Morecambe..

His PL title wins have come at a time when most of the title contenders have been in transition in terms of squad and managers.

Tactically he has been found wanting in games against United and Chelski and previously in Europe against Monaco and Lyon.

There is no doubt he's a great coach but is he a great manager? I'm not so sure he could have achieved what Mourinho did in his prime with Porto and the Treble at Inter Milan with comparatively little money.

He was blessed with great players at Barca and has been given more money than any other manager in Europe over the last 5 years. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 12:10 AM, Patched Tube said:

No questions from me; he wins and he wins a lot.  You look around the PL and who would I swap with?  MU?  :lol:  Liverpool?  Maybe - but I think I want to see how he rebounds (or doesnt) next season (mind you it would be interesting).  Anybody else?  Not really.  Pep did a remarkable job this season and he does have a habit it doing just that.  

Stay away from Jurgen!

• Like 1

Yep, I agree with all you taking jabs at Pep!

I mean who would want to win 3 EPL titles in 4 years? 

And boy our owner will just keep spending money. Grealish Kane Haaland maybe Pulisic(why not) 

• Like 1

Jimmy u know as well as I do that Pep’s Holy Grail is the Champions League. That is the one the Arabs want. I repeat what I said after Saturday.....the owners will be quietly livid with him for his massive tactical blunder in terms of his starting line up v Chelsea. I think he is now in the Last Chance Saloon. Deliver the European Cup next season or face almost certain dismissal.

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

And boy our owner will just keep spending money. Grealish Kane Haaland maybe Pulisic(why not) 

Why not, they know that UEFA will never ban them for breaching FFP. The problem is, the CL always ends as a one-off game in which anything can happen. 

1493F6CB-2BF0-40CD-9F9E-7A127789826A.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

Jimmy u know as well as I do that Pep’s Holy Grail is the Champions League. That is the one the Arabs want. I repeat what I said after Saturday.....the owners will be quietly livid with him for his massive tactical blunder in terms of his starting line up v Chelsea. I think he is now in the Last Chance Saloon. Deliver the European Cup next season or face almost certain dismissal.

The evil Arab's, Arab Money, Arab Oil. 

If City doesn't win the CL/EC next year and the owners sack Pep, they better at least bring in someone that can win the EPL 3 out of 4 years. It still appears that the players still enjoy playing for him. I agree that Dino or Rodri should have been in the lineup. 

11 hours ago, Shaun said:

Stay away from Jurgen!

It would be incredibly rude for MC to try and poach Klopp.  But... this would never happen but purely as an exercise I think it would be fascinating for Pep and Jurgen to swap jobs or more exactly swap squads.  Just see what they would do with the players the other manager has and sit back and watch the results.  

well...what a load of faint hearts you are.

I'm in the camp that thinks the CL is  a bit naff and would happily boo the anthem every time.

The PL is the real test...and Pep keeps passing it.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Why not, they know that UEFA will never ban them for breaching FFP

Now please read this statement! 

The UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations (FFP) were established to prevent professional football clubs spending more than they earn in the pursuit of success and in doing so getting into financial problems which might threaten their long-term survival.

Now ask yourself do you believe the Evil Arab's will ever be in financial problems and threaten the long term survival of the club? 

Now on the other hand: Real, Barca, Juve and maybe even Man U. are in deep shit!! 

• Like 1