Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Jimmy James

10 hours ago, robk1 said:

well...what a load of faint hearts you are.

I'm in the camp that thinks the CL is  a bit naff and would happily boo the anthem every time.

The PL is the real test...and Pep keeps passing it.

Problem is, that's not the test he or the owners wants to pass most of all...

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Problem is, that's not the test he or the owners wants to pass most of all...

Most likely true. But that doesn't mean Pep is in trouble at all. We all want something we don't have!

Two years ago LFC won the CL, but Klopp and the LFC fans weren't fulfilled until they won the PL the next season.

On 6/1/2021 at 4:31 AM, Jimmy James said:

Yep, I agree with all you taking jabs at Pep!

I mean who would want to win 3 EPL titles in 4 years? 

And boy our owner will just keep spending money. Grealish Kane Haaland maybe Pulisic(why not) 

But we're only taking a jab at Pep because he got it wrong,as soon as Chelsea saw that City team sheet they would have been boosted,all Tuchel needed to say was defend,defend,defend,give them no space then hit them on the break because they've got no defensive cover.

It's nothing against Pep,Ole screwed up too in their final & Klopp didn't have the greatest season by playing midfielders in defence,they went on a great run at the end of the season when actually centre backs were playing centre back,even though they were inexperienced ones at that level it's a postion they're used to playing.

City won the PL this season without getting into gear until December,next season will be alot tougher,the CL even tougher if Real & Barca sort themselves out.

Supporting a championship club with not much money & not likely to win anything ever again isn't much fun most of the time but we still have 2 stars on our shirt to show we were champions of Europe.

3 hours ago, High As Hope said:

City won the PL this season without getting into gear until December,next season will be alot tougher,the CL even tougher if Real & Barca sort themselves out.

"If" doing a lot of work there.  

My money would be on Munich coming roaring back.  

On 6/1/2021 at 2:29 AM, Johan14Cruyff said:

You forgot to mention big Jurgen stopping him winning the Bundesliga & Prem on a shoe string budget, whilst playing (possibly more) attractive football. 

Jürgen never stopped Pep winning the Bundesliga. In fact, while Pep's Bayern ran away at the top of the table (admittedly not much of a feat), Klopp had to resign as Dortmund coach when they were dropping threatingly close to the relegation zone.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:34 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

Interesting comments about Pep here...

When you analyse Pep in England you have to consider a few things.

Over 50% of the trophies he has won are Capital One/ Carabao Cups where most teams field a weakened team even at the semi final stage but Pep always fields a strong team even in early rounds - remember when he played a strong team against Burton?

Since joining Man City in 2016: - £62m on Goalkeepers. - £425m on Defenders. - £152m on Midfielders - £205m on Attackers. £844m spent on players in 5 years and the club has still won the same amount of Champions Leagues as Morecambe..

His PL title wins have come at a time when most of the title contenders have been in transition in terms of squad and managers.

Tactically he has been found wanting in games against United and Chelski and previously in Europe against Monaco and Lyon.

There is no doubt he's a great coach but is he a great manager? I'm not so sure he could have achieved what Mourinho did in his prime with Porto and the Treble at Inter Milan with comparatively little money.

He was blessed with great players at Barca and has been given more money than any other manager in Europe over the last 5 years. 

Not all that much to disagree with, but you can't take credit away from Pep because he had great players at Barça and at the same time not recognize the great teams Mourinho had at Porto and Inter. Also many frequently claim that Pep's Barça was helped by refs while completely forgetting how Mou's Porto and Inter got to the finals. And Mou's Inter was everything but short on money. They paid some of the highest wages in football at the time and mostly because of the blank cheque they handed Mou ended up in deep financial trouble.

But Pep definately deserves a lot of critisism for his line-up against Chelsea. I think he thought he had to be extra clever because he felt his usual plan was not good enough for that match. I said it before the semis: Pep would have rather played Real than Chelsea. Not because Chelsea were better than Real at the time, but because I think City always struggled against English sides in the CL. Add to that the FA-Cup and League losses against Tuchel in the last month and Pep thought he had to come up with something. Maybe he didn't trust his system and his players to win that match.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Due to the way the pots are set out, a group could be Man City, PSG, Leipzig, AC Milan. All before Xmas too. 

5 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Jürgen never stopped Pep winning the Bundesliga. In fact, while Pep's Bayern ran away at the top of the table (admittedly not much of a feat), Klopp had to resign as Dortmund coach when they were dropping threatingly close to the relegation zone.

Yep. Should probably check my facts before running my mouth off. Did Jurgen not see out his contract then? Pretty sure Dortmund would have him back.

Leogetz u raise an interesting point in terms of Pep’s thinking for the Chelsea game. Over thinking things ? Arrogance ? Too much tinkering ? All three ?

Rewind to the Q Final exit to Lyon in 2020.....’Guardiola, who has been accused of over-thinking his approach in the Champions League before, adopted a 3 man central defensive system and chose to leave many of City’s creators and manipulators on the bench’.

The total opposite of his line up against Chelsea.

The same disastrous results.

If City don’t win the CL next season, his future surely hinges on the manner of the exit. OK a freak goal sealing their fate, maybe fair enough, but if he cocks things up tactically again and from a starting 11 / formation point of view, surely he is toast in the eyes of the Arabs ?

12 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

Yep. Should probably check my facts before running my mouth off. Did Jurgen not see out his contract then? Pretty sure Dortmund would have him back.

I don't know if his contract ended that summer . But I remember he announced mid-season that he would step down or not continue at the end of the season.

I have previously posted here about the street I grew up in Old Trafford where Man City owned three adjacent terraced houses for players to help get around the wage cap ( financial fair play !)

We moved on my fourth birthday ( 62) to Altrincham further out from Manchester centre.

In the next road ( certainly by about 66) Max Mooney lived. He was Mike Summerbee's  ( and George Best of course, but this is a City thread) business partner. If you knocked and asked nicely he would give you signed photos of the guys.

I don't remember ever seeing George or Mike there...but as I say it was the next street( Egerton Road. )

• Like 1

Just now, robk1 said:

I have previously posted here about the street I grew up in Old Trafford where Man City owned three adjacent terraced houses for players to help get around the wage cap ( financial fair play !)

We moved on my fourth birthday ( 62) to Altrincham further out from Manchester centre.

In the next road ( certainly by about 66) Max Mooney lived. He was Mike Summerbee's  ( and George Best of course, but this is a City thread) business partner. If you knocked and asked nicely he would give you signed photos of the guys.

I don't remember ever seeing George or Mike there...but as I say it was the next street( Egerton Road. )

Malcolm Mooney

Another take on Pep's "overthinking"...

Today I talked to a friend about the CL final, Pep's line up without a traditional "6" in midfield and the flak he got after the match by fans and pundits for his "experiment". I know that fans like to talk about these things and pundits have to talk about these things. But aren't we "overthinking" everything by doing that? We blame the loss on Pep because he played no holding midfielder, when City just recently lost TWICE against Chelsea with Pep playing a holding midfielder, and in the case of the FA Cup match even TWO! I criticized him for not playing a central attacker, a "9", yet in the two losses ahead of the CL final, he did.

Isn't the more logical explanation that Chelsea were just better on the day? And looking at some performances of both teams over the last months, and the head to head results, the outcome wasn't exactly an upset. And especially in the CL and even going back to the old European Cup, we've seen many times that luck and the form of the day have more influence over a result that tactics or systems.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, LeoGetz said:

Another take on Pep's "overthinking"...

Today I talked to a friend about the CL final, Pep's line up without a traditional "6" in midfield and the flak he got after the match by fans and pundits for his "experiment". I know that fans like to talk about these things and pundits have to talk about these things. But aren't we "overthinking" everything by doing that? We blame the loss on Pep because he played no holding midfielder, when City just recently lost TWICE against Chelsea with Pep playing a holding midfielder, and in the case of the FA Cup match even TWO! I criticized him for not playing a central attacker, a "9", yet in the two losses ahead of the CL final, he did.

Isn't the more logical explanation that Chelsea were just better on the day? And looking at some performances of both teams over the last months, and the head to head results, the outcome wasn't exactly an upset. And especially in the CL and even going back to the old European Cup, we've seen many times that luck and the form of the day have more influence over a result that tactics or systems.

Exactly right, and it’s dangerous to obsess over winning a cup competition. In any given season Pep’s City could get knocked out by a team like Bayern, PSG, United, Chelsea, LFC to name just five. Over two legs and especially in a one-off game, you can’t be sure to win no matter what formation, tactics, players you start with or rely on for impact substitutions. Once you get to the CL knock our stages it’s the same as any cup competition, just at an even higher level than others. 

15 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

For what it’s worth, I see City had 6 players in the PFA team of the year just announced. I assume votes were cast prior to last weekend’s Champions League final.

So one match should change you whole outlook of the season? 

Even though I don't believe anyone player did great, I also don't believe anyone person did horrible. 

I have now watched the game three times......yes I know, should get out more ! Mahrez and Sterling were totally nullified by Chilwell and Reece James respectively. KDB produced nothing. City had no response to a full on 100% performance from Chelsea. Add to that Pep’s schoolboy error in playing no holding midfielder(s) and there was going to be trouble ahead. On the night they were well beaten.....it so easily could have been two or three nil. The pundits knew it, as soon as the team sheets came out. Pep is not the Messiah. He is a very naughty boy !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Royston Vasey said:

I have now watched the game three times......yes I know, should get out more ! Mahrez and Sterling were totally nullified by Chilwell and Reece James respectively. KDB produced nothing. City had no response to a full on 100% performance from Chelsea. Add to that Pep’s schoolboy error in playing no holding midfielder(s) and there was going to be trouble ahead. On the night they were well beaten.....it so easily could have been two or three nil. The pundits knew it, as soon as the team sheets came out. Pep is not the Messiah. He is a very naughty boy !

I agree James did a number on Sterling. I can defend against one footed Mahrez. 

Anyway I've watched the match one more time and Havertz goal like five times. A friend of mind said if Ederson doesn't get a hand on the ball Havertz first touch goes out over the end line. I kind of agree with him! With that being said, Ederson was outside the box, if he truly touch the ball. I think he did! Shouldn't that have been a straight Red! Or was that all wiped away with the goal? Don't know how that rule works? 

• 4 weeks later...

Man city release 10 players including aguero and garcia

first team squad stands at only 23 players,  3 of whom have only the odd sub appearance over the years…eg patrick roberts 2 brief sub appearances way back in 2015 yikes

that is a pretty thin squad smaller than both Chelsea’s first team and their loan army

• 3 weeks later...

Grass not always greener on the other side

brahim Diaz who left man city for the bright lights of Real Madrid was shunted off to Milan on loan and now is being left at milan for another 2 years