Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Jimmy James

28 minutes ago, bdw said:

Wow, welcome to the 1970s.

Yes, I accept the literal definition of Man City's owners being from the Arabian peninsula but come on...

No offence meant. Its definitely a case of “money from American owners” taken out rather than in at United, though. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Arab money is as evil as Covid.

I was writing a reply to the Bus Stop but this then arrived 

I have to assume it's a case of extreme irony. Like comedians trying to come up with the most outrageous one-liner.

If not, it's about as funny as a miscarriage (no irony intended).

2 hours ago, bdw said:

I was writing a reply to the Bus Stop but this then arrived 

I have to assume it's a case of extreme irony. Like comedians trying to come up with the most outrageous one-liner.

If not, it's about as funny as a miscarriage (no irony intended).

Brilliant Disguise!

Pep has put his head on the chopping block with the "we don't need a striker" attitude,he got away with it last year with what was going on with other teams,this season if he doesn't sign someone he's either going to be hailed as a genius if he wins it or a complete muppet if it blows up in his face.

2 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Pep has put his head on the chopping block with the "we don't need a striker" attitude,he got away with it last year with what was going on with other teams,this season if he doesn't sign someone he's either going to be hailed as a genius if he wins it or a complete muppet if it blows up in his face.

Or a complete blagger if they pay north of £100M for Kane over the next couple of weeks when the poor owners can’t afford it. 

8 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Or a complete blagger if they pay north of £100M for Kane over the next couple of weeks when the poor owners can’t afford it. 

I'm kind of hoping MC don't sign Kane personally.  I don't think they really need him and I also think 100M+ for Kane isn't good business.  Kane does have a habit of not turning up for big games and I have the sneaking suspicion he doesn't have long before he hits the downward side of his career.  And TBH the devil in me kind of likes Spurs lining up with an elephant in the room.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Levy overplay his hand and ending up with considerably less for Kane than he hoped for.  

So with due consideration for the above, I'm fine if MC stands pat.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

I'm kind of hoping MC don't sign Kane personally.  I don't think they really need him and I also think 100M+ for Kane isn't good business.  Kane does have a habit of not turning up for big games and I have the sneaking suspicion he doesn't have long before he hits the downward side of his career.  And TBH the devil in me kind of likes Spurs lining up with an elephant in the room.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Levy overplay his hand and ending up with considerably less for Kane than he hoped for.  

So with due consideration for the above, I'm fine if MC stands pat.  

I’d be happy for City to get Kane. It’s not a long term solution for them and it’s way too much to pay for someone of his age and ankle problems. Kane would help City this season as would Lukaku help Chelsea and it would also reduce the competition for Haaland next summer. That’s the long term striker solution every top club wants. 

Frankly, if I was Levy I'd take the rumored offer of £130mm plus Bernardo. He can blame it on Kane wanting away, even on his agent/brother, and say he protected the team by getting value.

A friend of mine was excited yesterday as he'd managed to get a season ticket for City,he'd rang up about availability in the disabled section as he struggles generally with walking & climbing stairs,initally they told him it would be about £40 a game,then told him he could have a season ticket for £300 which seems a bargain these days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimCT said:

Frankly, if I was Levy I'd take the rumored offer of £130mm plus Bernardo. He can blame it on Kane wanting away, even on his agent/brother, and say he protected the team by getting value.

If that offers on the table then Levy should grab it with both hands,there doesn't seem to be a pile of clubs joining in the fight to sign him & would he get anything like that this time next year?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’d be happy for City to get Kane. It’s not a long term solution for them and it’s way too much to pay for someone of his age and ankle problems. Kane would help City this season as would Lukaku help Chelsea and it would also reduce the competition for Haaland next summer. That’s the long term striker solution every top club wants. 

Hopefully not MC; I'd pass on Kane and throw big money around to try and get Haaland.  Lukaku is a slightly different kettle of fish; I think if Chelsea can get him they should.  They have a window right now and they should go "all in" IMO.  

In different news... I almost hope PSG bets the house on Messi. I don't think it will help them as much as they think it will and PSG might well be on their way to "Barcelonaing" themselves financially. 

Oh, I think he/they have it! 

PSG owner: Nassel Al-Khalaifi

According to recent estimates, his net worth is an estimated $8 billion, not to mention having the backing of Qatar's ruling Al-Thani family.

6 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

And he is the rear part of the Donkey as well.

Ideally suited to providing the "draught excluder" behind the wall at free kicks.

Different element of the "rear part", perhaps?

14 hours ago, AMIW said:

Foden out for month

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/11/phil-foden-faces-up-to-another-month-out-in-blow-to-manchester-city

in a darkened room in st l a man sits quietly cryin a many cry

Another blow to Pep's plan to revolutionize football by realizing his dream of fielding a team with ten midfielders.

47 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

I think city may struggle this season, most pundits think the will top the league, but i think without a goalscoring no 9 im not sure. 

I don't understand this thinking, Jesus is still there! Plus the Dunlap kid is ready