Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Jimmy James

5 hours ago, High As Hope said:

It's a strange one,it's like Messi has been taking all the headlines so Ronaldo is working on upstaging him.

He seems to be saying that Juve aren't good enough for him & Juve are saying they'll be happier with him gone.

Is he the player that City need? Would he fit in with how City play?

It's something that could end in success or tears if it happens.

Between COVID and half the teams in Serie A and LaLiga being broke it's been one weird transfer market; if the rumored $30M price for Ronaldo is even close to true MC will have paid 100M for Grealish and 30M for  Ronaldo.  It's going to take some time for me to wrap my head around that.  

As to how Ronaldo would fit into the City squad. Lars Sivertsen quoted somebody yesterday saying that at this point Ronaldo is like a piece of siege equipment; still effective but you have to wheel him into position first.  No doubt he is deadly in and on the edges of the box but can you see him pressing and doing much work off the ball which a typical Pep side demands?  I don't.  OTOH Guardiola demonstrated last season he is less ideological  then people thought he was; certainly he's a fine manager and may have some ideas.  Certainly KDB feeding Ronaldo as he loiters around the opponents goal is intriguing.  If I had to guess perhaps Guardiola drops a midfielder back for a bit more defensive solidarity.  Maybe... this morning anyways it certainly looks like we'll see.  

I had MC to come in 2nd in the league behind Chelsea this year FWIW (which is very little) so if this experiment comes to pass I'll just relax and see how it plays out.  

23 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Maybe he can share a cell with the Everton player we aren't allowed to name even though everyone knows who it is.

Yes I don’t understand why there are different rules here..

not to open a can of worms but the injunction for the everton player only covered the uk and so he has been named elsewhere…

4 minutes ago, AMIW said:

Boring boring man city going back to bed… :(

Yeah, pretty good game for three minutes or so. Not even through my morning toast and thinking about a nap.

6 hours ago, High As Hope said:

My Man City supporter friend said he thought Norwich were bad till he watched the game against Arsenal.

You know a good friend of mind is an Arsenal fan. I feel badly for him as he's been a fan since their glory days. But I would love to see Kroenke take a punch to the face. And being relegated would be that punch in the face. 

Kroenke and the NFL tried one last time to get the St. Louis case dismissed early last week. Judge to decide later this week. I've never been a true Rams fan, but what was done to the city was not right. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, High As Hope said:

My Man City supporter friend said he thought Norwich were bad till he watched the game against Arsenal.

Question is: is Norwich and Arsenal that bad? Or is City that good? 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You know a good friend of mind is an Arsenal fan. I feel badly for him as he's been a fan since their glory days. 

I'd feel more badly for him if he had been a fan of theirs since before their glory days.

Edit: Arsenal did win the League Championship 5 times in the 1930s, so if these were the glory days you were referring to in your email, then fair play to your good friend, and please forgive the tone of sarcasm in my initial post (above).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Archie Hunter said:

I'd feel more badly for him if he had been a fan of theirs since before their glory days.

Edit: Arsenal did win the League Championship 5 times in the 1930s, so if these were the glory days you were referring to in your email, then fair play to your good friend, and please forgive the tone of sarcasm in my initial post (above).

I think it's more like the Henry years. :D 

4 hours ago, AMIW said:

Man city add 3 youngsters to their first team squad

Palmer, delap and  doyle

Did not add Claudio Gomes though who had one brief fa cup appearance this past season

Gomes needs to put on about 10 to 15 pounds before he's ready.

19 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Question is: is Norwich and Arsenal that bad? Or is City that good? 

A bit both.  Yes they are both pretty bad but even against pretty bad opponents most teams don't hang five goals on them.  

56 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

A bit both.  Yes they are both pretty bad but even against pretty bad opponents most teams don't hang five goals on them.  

I was thinking, LFC only beat Norwich 2-0! Chelsea only beat Arsenal 2-0! 

15 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I was thinking, LFC only beat Norwich 2-0! Chelsea only beat Arsenal 2-0! 

There's no doubt Man City smash weaker teams.  It's just at crunch time at Champions League level where Pep sometimes implodes through overthinking.

Man city leave mendy out if their CL squad siince he will be busy playing for her majesty’s prison xi

but add number 90 Romeo Lavia to their 25 man squad and for which they could only round up 20 players

and no @Jimmy Jameshe is neither a forward nor a left back