Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Jimmy James

1 hour ago, Royston Vasey said:

I wonder whether Pep will have any clever tactical plans lined up for the Chelsea game, such as, again maybe, going with no holding midfielders as per his brilliant idea in the Champions League final back in May. How he must still be haunted by that night, lol.

I find this a very interesting argument. The two games before the CL final Chelsea found away to shut us out both times. I think it was him trying to find away to score against them. 

Two things happened in that match, one has something to do with no holding mid-fielder. And that was a perfect pass down the middle of the field. Mount will never be able to make that pass again. 1000 in 1 chance. Second part of this, (I'm sort of new to this sport), Chelsea had a "MAN" in there middle, Kante, one of the most outstanding matches from any one person I've ever seen. 

So in the end, Pep should have played a Holding Middle, and hope for penalties, that we haven't been good at all season.  

4 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Definitely a pivotal two PL games for Pep. Lose both and they could be 9 points off top spot. Win both and they could end up top or thereabouts. 

I think you said it best either here or in some other thread, I think at this point of the season Pep will be not happy but satisfied with 2 points over the next two match's. 

MC playing well - better than I expected TBH - and Jesus's goal was well deserved all around.  They can't let up though - I expect Chelsea is too well coached and too confident to let this rattle them much.  

23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

The two games before the CL final Chelsea found away to shut us out both times.

And as far as I remember City lost both despite playing defensive midfielders.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 4:38 PM, Jimmy James said:

I think you said it best either here or in some other thread, I think at this point of the season Pep will be not happy but satisfied with 2 points over the next two match's. 

Obviously a good result for City today but I think it will suit Liverpool.  Maybe not as much as a draw but probably a decent result for them.  Of course its early and the league table doesn't mean a whole lot yet.