Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

5 minutes ago, Perisic said:

Brighton? No chance.

I mean 9 in 10 games City beats them, maybe 1 game in 20 Brighton beats City... but it's the tie that makes it interestin

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a day off today and, at one point, I found myself in Asda in Inverness.   Two young lads, I'd guess no older than 20ish, who worked there were chatting in one of the aisles when I pass

So they have to be punished. The whole "yeah, but others do it too" is just an admission of guilt. I understand it stings, but City agreed to the FFP rules, then went on to break them anyway. Serves t

Are you using @Daisey Jeep's spellchecker?  

Posted Images

checked the score at halftime, then not til after work sitting in my car

put INCIDENT San Jose 2008 on , had a manly cry for 10mins 30 seconds

drove home

• Like 3
3 hours ago, AMIW said:

local Brighton man putting up banners on the approach to Amex Stadium to welcome his beloved Man City to town

5997123d1643900001ad4f83_banner_vegan_pl

I don't understand your reason for posting that picture on a thread about man city, please explain.

I know King Edward 7th like it, but wtf has it got to do with Brighton or man city ? 

no posts on the thread of the league winners by anyone....

next week Man City aim to be the first team to do the domestic treble - I think that is right

a  domestic/European treble has been done by Liverpool and Man U I believe.

fa cup/league cup/ uefa cup for liverpool

league/fa cup/ champions league  for Man U

just saw some footage of mendy dancing around the pitch  -hasn't he been  out injured since before christmas?

so here is a semi serious question probably just for Man U and Chelsea supporters I know but has anyone actually played less football than Mendy ever to get two premier league winners medals???

I am too appalled to post the link so go check out the guardian yourself but they ranked all man city players over the season

they ranked Mendy 5/10

shocking 1/10- would have been too high

Enjoy it while you can, possible UEFA ban coming

One thing to admire about City is their recruitment. The names floated for them are frequently unique.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/manchester-city-facing-european-ban-over-alleged-ffp-breaches-6q0whrr7j

Manchester City facing European ban over alleged FFP breaches

Uefa investigators want one-year suspension for alleged financial breaches

Matt Hughes, Sports News Correspondent

May 14 2019, 12:01am, The Times

The prospect of Manchester City being banned from the Champions League for alleged breaches of Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules increased last night after it emerged that the investigators charged with examining the case will push for a suspension of one season.

Uefa’s independent club financial control body has been investigating allegations that a £59.5 million sponsorship deal that was supposed to have come to the club in 2015 from Etihad Airways was instead paid directly by the club’s owners, the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Members of the financial control body, which is led by the former Belgium prime minister Yves Leterme, met in Nyon two weeks ago to finalise the conclusions that they will put forward to Uefa’s adjudicatory chamber, which will decide on the sanction in the coming weeks. A report in the New York Times yesterday said that their recommendation would be a Champions League ban of at least one season.

Speaking in December, Leterme said: “If it is true what has been alleged, there might be a serious problem. This can lead to the heaviest punishment — exclusion from the Uefa competitions.”

It is unlikely that such a ban, if authorised by the adjudicatory chamber, would come into effect in time for next season as City would have the right of appeal and could also take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

If they are found guilty Uefa would have little time to finalise City’s punishment in time for next season’s competition as qualification for the Champions League starts next month, although the Premier League champions do not enter the competition until the group stage begins in September.

City have strenuously denied any wrongdoing and vowed that they would mount an aggressive response to any effort to bar the club from the Champions League. “The accusation of financial irregularities are entirely false,” City said in a statement this year.

“The club’s published accounts are full and complete and a matter of legal and regulatory record.”

The club have also pointed out that many of the allegations of financial impropriety and rule-breaking made against them came to light after they were reported by news media outlets with access to the so-called Football Leaks files, which are widely believed to have been obtained by hacking.

City have previously been found guilty of breaching Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules, with their investigatory team arguing that a strong punishment is required on this occasion to prevent the regulations being rendered meaningless. In 2014, the club agreed to accept a fine of £49 million related to a breach of the spending rules and to accept some restrictions on transfers.

The development came a day after City retained the title and as the club prepared to back Pep Guardiola in the transfer market this summer as he looks to revamp his squad.

Guardiola became the first manager in a decade to win successive Premier League titles after City’s 4-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion. City will complete an unprecedented domestic treble if they defeat Watford in the FA Cup on Saturday but Guardiola still believes that his squad needs strengthening amid the threat of a transfer ban following a separate investigation.

Up to four players could be signed while Fabian Delph, Nicolás Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala are set to leave. Guardiola wants to add more physicality and height to his team, which is why he wants to bring in Rodri, the 6ft 3in midfielder from Atletico Madrid.

Rodri, of Atletico, is seen as the perfect replacement for FernandinhoRODRIGO JIMENEZ/EPA

Rodri, 22, is seen as the perfect replacement for Fernandinho, who is 34 next month. The Spain player has a €70 million (about £60.5 million) release clause in his contract, which means that he would become City’s record buy. Txiki Begiristain, the director of football, flew to Madrid to watch him play against City’s sister club Girona last month.

“There are weaknesses [in the squad],” Guardiola said. “I am the tallest. In the set pieces it is, ‘Go to the church to pray.’ In the box we defend with Bernardo Silva, Raheem Sterling, David Silva.”

Guardiola will sign another central midfielder if Ilkay Gündogan leaves. The 28-year-old’s contract expires in June next year. City’s policy is to avoid letting players enter the final year of their deal so Gündogan will be sold if he does not sign.

Among other central midfield targets is Houssem Aouar, the 20-year-old Lyons player. The Eintracht Frankfurt striker Luka Jovic is on City’s shortlist — and Guardiola wants a centre back.

Guardiola admires Matthijs de Ligt, the Ajax centre back. De Ligt, 19, has been tipped to join Barcelona in a £70 million move but the two clubs are yet to announce a deal. It is understood that Barcelona have had difficulties with De Ligt's agent, Mino Raiola.

Guardiola is aware that Otamendi is unhappy about his lack of first-team action: the centre back, 31, started 14 league games. Valencia, his former club, are interested in re-signing him while he could be included in a deal for Rodri. Vincent Kompany, the 33-year-old captain, has been offered a one-year contract.

Investigations into club
Premier League Relates to the signing of academy players and third-party ownership.
Uefa Accused of manipulating money earned from a sponsorship deal with Etihad airways after revelations in Der Spiegel 
FA Over a £200,000 payment allegedly made to Jadon Sancho’s agent when he signed from Watford in 2015, aged 14
Fifa Centres around signing of eight players under the age of 18 from outside Britain and claims City have broken rules banning third-party ownership via their relationship with Danish club Nordsjaelland.

You have to say that City's scouting team earn their salaries. At Chelsea, I think they just sit in the bar reading the back pages of the the red tops to see who's getting the most column inches.

I'd be shocked if one of them hasn't already suggested signing one of the loan army.

8 hours ago, JimCT said:

Enjoy it while you can, possible UEFA ban coming

I didn't want to quote the whole thing. 

United, LFC, Madrid's, and Barca please rule the world. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Just put a salary cap in world Football and call it a day. So you can take racism out of it. 

Because if this wasn't Arab money there won't be a problem. 

That will be true for the moronic element. I nearly put moronic minority but that probably wouldn’t be accurate.

I expect some actually care about the ethical issues as opposed to the facts it’s arab money.

To be honest, it was a long time ago that I was naive enough to trouble myself with such things. Indignation and high horsing doesn’t make any difference anyway.

Any sensible person should just hope for some good football and for united to win fuck all.

I’d say both of those are nailed on for some time. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I expect some actually care about the ethical issues as opposed to the facts it’s arab money.

What ethical issues are you talking about? Now keep in mind we are talking about Football. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

What ethical issues are you talking about? Now keep in mind we are talking about Football. 

You know the issues people bring up full well.

As I’ve said. I don’t really see the issue. There is observe amounts of money involved with most/all top clubs regardless of who the backers are.

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

do you mean sign from the Chelsea loan army or the man city one?

Andrew, yes I meant from Chelsea's own loan army. I was being facetious but that day will surely come.