Greasy Lake Community

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a day off today and, at one point, I found myself in Asda in Inverness.   Two young lads, I'd guess no older than 20ish, who worked there were chatting in one of the aisles when I pass

So they have to be punished. The whole "yeah, but others do it too" is just an admission of guilt. I understand it stings, but City agreed to the FFP rules, then went on to break them anyway. Serves t

The more blues there are the better. I've been going to the games since 1967, but the last 10 years have been amazing.

Posted Images

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/citys-summer-transfer-strategy-who-they-want-to-sign-and-who-they-are-willing-to-sell-503gqxwm2

City’s summer transfer strategy, who they want to sign and who they are willing to sell

Paul Hirst

June 5 2019, 5:00pm, The Times

Transfer strategy
Manchester City may have won a domestic treble last season, but Pep Guardiola thinks now is the time to shake up the squad. He wants more competition for places and to discard some players who are becoming annoyed by a lack of game time. There are three factors involved in the strategy.

Firstly, City will not pay over the odds for players; secondly, targets will only be pursued to improve weak areas of the squad; and lastly, there will be an emphasis on signing “homegrown” players, as is defined by the Premier League. City have 17 players who are not “homegrown” (i.e. they did not spend three years at a British club before reaching the age of 21), which is the maximum number allowed under Premier League rules. The number of arrivals will also depend on the number of departures, but three new players could be bought – a central midfielder, a centre back, and a right back.

Where they need to improve
Pep Guardiola flew to Barcelona on holiday last week but he is in regular contact with Txiki Begiristain, City’s director of football. The duo, along with Ferran Soriano, the chief executive, drew up a list of targets some time ago.

City’s priority is a holding midfielder to compete with Fernandinho, who turned 34 last month. City sources claimed last week that Marcos Llorente of Real Madrid and Lyons’ Tanguy Ndombélé were on their shortlist, but the top target is Rodri, the 22-year-old Atlético Madrid midfielder. Rodri is a technically-gifted dynamic midfielder and, at 6ft 3in, would offer some much needed height. City have told Atlético that they are willing to meet Rodri’s buyout clause of €70 million (about £62 million) and he will decide next week whether to accept their offer, or that of Bayern Munich.

Guardiola was considering asking for two centre backs given that Vincent Kompany is leaving, but now he only wants one because he thinks Fernandinho can play there occasionally next season and Eric García, the 18-year-old defender, will be promoted from the academy. Harry Maguire, the England international defender, is the top centre back target, although City are refusing to pay Leicester’s £75 million-plus asking price.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka, the England Under-21 right back, is of interest to City, but they are refusing to stump up the £50 million that Crystal Palace want for the player. Guardiola is a fan of Ben Chilwell, the Leicester and England player, but there are no plans to sign a left-back because the City manager is happy that Oleksandr Zinchenko, who is close to signing a new contract, can fill in there when Benjamin Mendy is unavailable.

Who they are willing to sell
Fabian Delph is free to leave. He did not start a Premier League game after Boxing Day last season. West Ham United considered signing Delph but have been put off by his high wage packet of around £80,000 per week. City would want over £10 million for Delph, who is 29 and has one year left on his contract. Danilo, who started just nine league games last season, can leave if City recoup the £26.5 million they paid Real Madrid for him two years ago, and they have a suitable replacement lined up.

Nicolás Otamendi, the 31-year-old centre back, will be allowed to leave should Atlético Madrid offer around £20 million. City are confident that Leroy Sané, the Germany winger, will sign a contract extension — the only way that he will be sold is if Bayern Munich come up with an offer of around £90 million.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JimCT said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/citys-summer-transfer-strategy-who-they-want-to-sign-and-who-they-are-willing-to-sell-503gqxwm2

City’s summer transfer strategy, who they want to sign and who they are willing to sell

Paul Hirst

June 5 2019, 5:00pm, The Times

Transfer strategy
Manchester City may have won a domestic treble last season, but Pep Guardiola thinks now is the time to shake up the squad. He wants more competition for places and to discard some players who are becoming annoyed by a lack of game time. There are three factors involved in the strategy.

Firstly, City will not pay over the odds for players; secondly, targets will only be pursued to improve weak areas of the squad; and lastly, there will be an emphasis on signing “homegrown” players, as is defined by the Premier League. City have 17 players who are not “homegrown” (i.e. they did not spend three years at a British club before reaching the age of 21), which is the maximum number allowed under Premier League rules. The number of arrivals will also depend on the number of departures, but three new players could be bought – a central midfielder, a centre back, and a right back.

Where they need to improve
Pep Guardiola flew to Barcelona on holiday last week but he is in regular contact with Txiki Begiristain, City’s director of football. The duo, along with Ferran Soriano, the chief executive, drew up a list of targets some time ago.

City’s priority is a holding midfielder to compete with Fernandinho, who turned 34 last month. City sources claimed last week that Marcos Llorente of Real Madrid and Lyons’ Tanguy Ndombélé were on their shortlist, but the top target is Rodri, the 22-year-old Atlético Madrid midfielder. Rodri is a technically-gifted dynamic midfielder and, at 6ft 3in, would offer some much needed height. City have told Atlético that they are willing to meet Rodri’s buyout clause of €70 million (about £62 million) and he will decide next week whether to accept their offer, or that of Bayern Munich.

Guardiola was considering asking for two centre backs given that Vincent Kompany is leaving, but now he only wants one because he thinks Fernandinho can play there occasionally next season and Eric García, the 18-year-old defender, will be promoted from the academy. Harry Maguire, the England international defender, is the top centre back target, although City are refusing to pay Leicester’s £75 million-plus asking price.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka, the England Under-21 right back, is of interest to City, but they are refusing to stump up the £50 million that Crystal Palace want for the player. Guardiola is a fan of Ben Chilwell, the Leicester and England player, but there are no plans to sign a left-back because the City manager is happy that Oleksandr Zinchenko, who is close to signing a new contract, can fill in there when Benjamin Mendy is unavailable.

Who they are willing to sell
Fabian Delph is free to leave. He did not start a Premier League game after Boxing Day last season. West Ham United considered signing Delph but have been put off by his high wage packet of around £80,000 per week. City would want over £10 million for Delph, who is 29 and has one year left on his contract. Danilo, who started just nine league games last season, can leave if City recoup the £26.5 million they paid Real Madrid for him two years ago, and they have a suitable replacement lined up.

Nicolás Otamendi, the 31-year-old centre back, will be allowed to leave should Atlético Madrid offer around £20 million. City are confident that Leroy Sané, the Germany winger, will sign a contract extension — the only way that he will be sold is if Bayern Munich come up with an offer of around £90 million.

Rodri is particularly intriguing to me as MC has issues with set pieces both offensively and defensively; some height is definitely in order.  He has the technical skill to fit into the Pep's scheme, he's young and I think he is capable of contributing immediately.  I try not to get too excited by the "hot stove league" but I'd definitely be pleased if MC can sign him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Patched Tube said:

I try not to get too excited by the "hot stove league" but I'd definitely be pleased if MC can sign him.

Yep, my FB Man City Fan Club feed is full of this shit all the time. I use to get so excited, come to find out most of it is bull. So until the deal is signed on the dotted line no more from me. Even though is the Nations Cup thread i said the back 4 for England today could all be on City before the start of the season. 

17 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep, my FB Man City Fan Club feed is full of this shit all the time. I use to get so excited, come to find out most of it is bull. So until the deal is signed on the dotted line no more from me. Even though is the Nations Cup thread i said the back 4 for England today could all be on City before the start of the season. 

Yeah it's just not worth spending much time on IMO.  It's just a feeble way to get a "fix" before the league starts up again.  When there is a signing, let me know.  That said some rumors are more interesting than others (and occasionally more credible) and going back to my point about set pieces, I'd think that would be an area MC would be looking to improve on.  So Rodri seems to be the kind of player they would be genuinely interested in.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Perisic said:

They're making their squad even better than it was. Madness. Maybe they'll get past the quarters in the CL this year. 3 PL titles in a row?

No guarantee they will ever win the CL. Until they turn it into an actual European Super League. 

5 hours ago, AMIW said:

Man City currenlty have 20 senior foreign players so have to offload 3 before the season starts

(jesus, zinchenko  and Angelino now count as over 21s) 

Danilo, Mangala and Gundogan or Mahrez ?