Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy James

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Another goal that is just a work of art.  So silky smooth it looked easy.

Man city drop points

pep says Agüero can go to Ross county on loan

jj and busstop both she’d manly tears

3 hours ago, AMIW said:

Because your lot are top? I think that’s happened a few times or so over the last 30 years... 

10 hours ago, AMIW said:

Man city drop points

pep says Agüero can go to Ross county on loan

Nothing worse for me than a late Saturday start City start; normally I wouldn't have seen a minute but I did catch the first half.  Just as well I missed the 2nd; I'm really starting to have my doubts about this whole VAR thing.  <_<

31 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Nothing worse for me than a late Saturday start City start; normally I wouldn't have seen a minute but I did catch the first half.  Just as well I missed the 2nd; I'm really starting to have my doubts about this whole VAR thing.  <_<

I will keep repeating this until folks pay attention/get it: THIS WAS NOT A VAR PROBLEM. THIS WAS THE REVISION TO THE HANDBALL RULE.

4 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I will keep repeating this until folks pay attention/get it: THIS WAS NOT A VAR PROBLEM. THIS WAS THE REVISION TO THE HANDBALL RULE.

1) I am aware of the rule change and 2) this spotted on the review and not called on the field which was my point.  I'm actually reasonably satisfied with the call as it was correct.  That said VAR is sucking a lot of life out of the game.

But do carry on.

2 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

1) I am aware of the rule change and 2) this spotted on the review and not called on the field which was my point.  I'm actually reasonably satisfied with the call as it was correct.  That said VAR is sucking a lot of life out of the game.

But do carry on.ling, etc in the box

I'm actually surprised that so few penalties have been awarded so far due to VAR review of dead-ball plays into the box, with all the tugging, wrestling, etc.

32 minutes ago, JimCT said:

I'm actually surprised that so few penalties have been awarded so far due to VAR review of dead-ball plays into the box, with all the tugging, wrestling, etc.

Well it's pretty clear that VAR is going to require some changes to the rules or football risks going the way of the NFL where essentially the rules exist as field for byzantine litigation and interpretation as opposed to a set of guidelines to keep the game fair, balanced, and interesting,  The offside rule, as written, combined with VAR (for example) is a shambles.  The whole issue of goalies coming off their line is another place where the way the game is played and the way the rules are written are at odds and the traditional practice of giving the goal keeper a little slack (sort of like a traffic cop "giving" you 5 mph) is colliding with VAR.  

To be charitable it's a work in progress and it will take courage by the league and the officials to rewrite the rules and interpret them in the best interest of the game.  Now I know this will cause outrage for traditionalists but hear me out... there is an argument for another on field official to get another set of eyes to catch the obvious fouls rather than going to the booth every time something interesting happens on the field.  

• Bruuuuce! 1

I haven't been able to watch the match yet. But I can tell you I hated VAR way before this match. The linesman won't even raise a flag until someone whispers in their ear. Mine as well take the refs off the field. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I haven't been able to watch the match yet. But I can tell you I hated VAR way before this match. The linesman won't even raise a flag until someone whispers in their ear. Mine as well take the refs off the field. 

I was on the fence but now having seen it in a variety of settings I'm not impressed.  I'm still seeing obvious fouls not being called and a lot of marginal ones that didn't affect play penalizing teams and sometimes materially affecting the outcome of games.  When you add in the mood killing amount of time it takes to review as it stands now VAR is a net negative.  Now I don't want to go overboard here and say it's ruining the game but it's definitely making it worse.   

To make matters worse the association doesn't even seem to know how they want it implemented.  I had a nice exchange w. a UK football media analyst about the "clear and obvious"  standard which, in fact, doesn't exist in the rules but FA officials keep bleating about.  It just adds to the confusion surrounding the whole thing.  

50 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

That's intentional, and intelligent. Given that you have the ability to review the call, let it go until completion and THEN raise the flag and VAR it. If you raise the flag AND you're WRONG, you cannot restore equity to the attackers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimCT said:

That's intentional, and intelligent. Given that you have the ability to review the call, let it go until completion and THEN raise the flag and VAR it. If you raise the flag AND you're WRONG, you cannot restore equity to the attackers.

What if a defender and or a keeper gets injured, when a flag should have been put up to stop the play.

And by your statement you agree at least the linesman need not be there any longer.

6 hours ago, AMIW said:

Ah well Jimmy James should be OK the next time he goes then ..;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Ah well Jimmy James should be OK the next time he goes then ..;)

By the time I go, there won't be refs on the pitch. Just a big VAR Screen. :P

Silly, sloppy game by City but here they are up 1 - 0.

3 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Silly, sloppy game by City but here they are up 1 - 0.

Yep our sweeper I mean keeper got himself an early yellow. Why do I hate the way he plays?

Just now, Jimmy James said:

Yep our sweeper I mean keeper got himself an early yellow. Why do I hate the way he plays?

Maybe because he wasn't even in the same zip code as the net and compounded that error by a foul so obvious a toddler would see it was a card.  F*cking idiot.

Daniels looks to have blown a knee ligament.  I hate to see a player go down when there hasn't been any contact - it rarely ends well.

Well Harry Wilson just looked like Messi, what a kick.

• Like 1

Always said Harry Wilson should have stayed at Liverpool ... second scorcher this season

55 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

Daniels looks to have blown a knee ligament.  I hate to see a player go down when there hasn't been any contact - it rarely ends well.

They say he dislocated his knee.  Ouch!!

He only just returned from a long term knee injury

1 minute ago, AMIW said:

He only just returned from a long term knee injury

I know.  I really hope its just painful but minor.