Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy James

The Man City Thread: The Pep Years

Arteta to arsenal if Emery slips on the waiting banana peel? https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/25/pep-guardiola-arsenal-mikel-arteta-replace-unai-emery-11215381/

Also, another podcast suggested that if City was smart they'd put Poch on retainer to hang around and be available when Pep decides to move on. I think it more likely MoPo moves to a different league, personally, Spain or Germany.

Desperate times for man city... having played 54 minutes total in 3.5months Phil foden has to play a whole 22 minutes today

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep, I know it's still early, but....

Its late IMO.  My view this is done barring something catastrophic happening at Liverpool.  It's also not a matter of bounces not going MCs way but it's not.  The team is simply not good enough.  MC has slipped significantly from last season and Liverpool has gotten better in that time. 

3 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

Its late IMO.  My view this is done barring something catastrophic happening at Liverpool.  It's also not a matter of bounces not going MCs way but it's not.  The team is simply not good enough.  MC has slipped significantly from last season and Liverpool has gotten better in that time. 

I agree, but what is weird is both are basically the same club from last year. I can say today's match could have been won by two shots, one by Jesus and B. Silva both wide open in front of the net.

51 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I agree, but what is weird is both are basically the same club from last year. I can say today's match could have been won by two shots, one by Jesus and B. Silva both wide open in front of the net.

Laporte being injured has been a really issue IMO.  

13 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

That’s partly true about City going backward a bit. They are still a great side but definitely injuries at the back have hurt them.

As for Liverpool getting better. I’m not sure about that. I’ve still yet to see them play particularly well whenever I’ve seen them this season. They do have quality in every single position though and that’s getting them through so far. They also have a belief now. 

People shouldn’t overlook Leicester. I’d fancy them against LFC in the Boxing Day game for starters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

That’s partly true about City going backward a bit. They are still a great side but definitely injuries at the back have hurt them.

As for Liverpool getting better. I’m not sure about that. I’ve still yet to see them play particularly well whenever I’ve seen them this season. They do have quality in every single position though and that’s getting them through so far. They also have a belief now. 

People shouldn’t overlook Leicester. I’d fancy them against LFC in the Boxing Day game for starters. 

Injuries in the back line has essentially been the story of the season IMO.  MC is giving up goals are roughly 150% of the rate they were last year.  I mean it's not horrible but you don't win the league that way.  Losing Sane was also a factor; under rated player I think.

Liverpool is on a roll and your point about belief is a good one.  And maybe that's the difference.  From what I've seen they aren't as potent offensively but they seem a bit more stout defensively. A lot of "bend but don't break" going on.

I'd put a 20 on Leicester.  Liverpool are going to drop points sooner or later, Leicester is playing well and Liverpool has a rough December schedule.  And I'd add I wouldn't be shocked if MC came in 3rd behind Leicester this season; I like the way they are playing.

I think city is fine long term, it's just a rough season.  The team is a bit battered and little jaded/fatigued.  You need a little luck to won trophies and this season they aren't getting it.  What are you going to do? 

Shore up the back line, get healthy and look to next year.  If you can go all in on what trophies are still possible come January and see to next year.  

19 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

Injuries in the back line has essentially been the story of the season IMO.  MC is giving up goals are roughly 150% of the rate they were last year.  I mean it's not horrible but you don't win the league that way.  Losing Sane was also a factor; under rated player I think.

Shore up the back line, get healthy and look to next year.

That is what John "The Donkey" Stones gives you.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 3:03 AM, Jimmy James said:

I agree, but what is weird is both are basically the same club from last year. 

I think that's also partly the reason. Never change a winning team doesn't apply in football. The more you win, the more you have to change to keep everybody sharp and on their toes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

I think that's also partly the reason. Never change a winning team doesn't apply in football. The more you win, the more you have to change to keep everybody sharp and on their toes. 

OK, lets say I agree with that statement. Liverpool is the same club also, but winning. 

With all the talent Man City has I find it hard to believe that the injuries to LaPorte and Sane are the reason. Is the departure of Kompany that big? 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, lets say I agree with that statement. Liverpool is the same club also, but winning. 

With all the talent Man City has I find it hard to believe that the injuries to LaPorte and Sane are the reason. Is the departure of Kompany that big? 

The difference is, that City won the league last season and Liverpool didn't. City are probably a little complacent. Only 10% less focus and intesity makes a big difference. City won it now twice in a row. Liverpool haven't for decades. I think that's the big difference.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

14 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

The difference is, that City won the league last season and Liverpool didn't. City are probably a little complacent. Only 10% less focus and intesity makes a big difference. City won it now twice in a row. Liverpool haven't for decades. I think that's the big difference.

What has to be appreciated is how close things were last year. The end result of 38 games was determined by a single goal. One more goal for LFC in any of their draws and they win the league. One less goal by MCFC to leave one of those last minute wins as a draw and LFC wins the league. Razors edge.

• Like 1

Oh, don't kid yourself, he will pick up a center half. And LaPorte should be back in January sometime. 

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Proper central defensive partnership tonight, three points and clean sheet practically guaranteed...VAR permitting that is.

Do you have a crystal ball or what? :D

Shit I posted to soon, I'm just hoping Garcia didn't get burned. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Do you have a crystal ball or what? :D

Shit I posted to soon, I'm just hoping Garcia didn't get burned. 

When it comes to The Donkey, no crystal ball is needed..