ukjohnney

Metallica return!

I know this is completely anecdotal, but I just saw a thumbnail review that one person gave the new album, and he said that although it starts really well, it finishes even better.  Everyone's got an opinion.  I'll see what mine is on Friday!

I read several reviews that said the last song Spit Out The Bone (?) is the best. A cross between Battery and Damage Inc.

Can't wait to listen to it on Friday. 

A number of new songs are already on youtube. Looking at the official Metallica channel, it seems they already released up to 5 or 6 songs. That's half the album. Interesting.

But I'll wait until tomorrow. I'll go "old-school" on this one. I'll go out, buy the album, get high and listen to it with headphones.

I've listened to (and watched) almost all the videos already uploaded to Metallica.com and I'm pretty excited about the new stuff.  Not every song is a winner for me, but most of them are--REALLY are.  Tickets go on sale tomorrow for a pretty small venue in Oakland in December.  I live only 40 miles away, so I'm going to try to score a couple of tickets--would love to take my son to see them in a place so small!

Metallica SETLISTVISION

BREADFAN

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

BATTERY

SAD BUT TRUE

FADE TO BLACK

ATLAS, RISE

HARVESTER OF SORROW

MOTH INTO FLAME

ONE

MASTER OF PUPPETS

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

ENTER SANDMAN

WHISKEY IN THE JAR

HARDWIRED

SEEK AND DESTROY

1 hour ago, LeoGetz said:

Metallica SETLISTVISION

BREADFAN

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

BATTERY

SAD BUT TRUE

FADE TO BLACK

ATLAS, RISE

HARVESTER OF SORROW

MOTH INTO FLAME

ONE

MASTER OF PUPPETS

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

ENTER SANDMAN

WHISKEY IN THE JAR

HARDWIRED

SEEK AND DESTROY

So did you watch it?  CDs are here ready to digest! 

3 minutes ago, ukjohnney said:

So did you watch it?  CDs are here ready to digest! 

Yes, I did! Couldn't pass up the chance to see them live.

CD will be there for me tomorrow. ;)

And they were great! Can't wait to see them live next year.

On 11/18/2016 at 1:53 PM, LeoGetz said:

Metallica SETLISTVISION

BREADFAN

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

BATTERY

SAD BUT TRUE

FADE TO BLACK

ATLAS, RISE

HARVESTER OF SORROW

MOTH INTO FLAME

ONE

MASTER OF PUPPETS

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

ENTER SANDMAN

WHISKEY IN THE JAR

HARDWIRED

SEEK AND DESTROY

I loved the show! And the venue was really cool, too. Wish I could've been there!

15 hours ago, stillilllife said:

The album is really good.
My top 3:

1. Moth into flame
2. Dream no more
3. Here comes revenge

Didn't really get into Dream No More yet, but other than that the first disc is great. Second disc not so much, apart from Here Comes Revenge and, of course, Spit Out The Bone.

But this album shows again that Hetfield and Ulrich tend to get carried away at times when they are in charge in the studio. It's no coincidence that they recorded their most coherent and homogenous album (Black Album) with a producer they hated. I say that, because I think some of the new songs are way too long. And sometimes I get the feeling some songs are long just for the sake of being long.

But overall it's a great album. Going through the tracklist in my head I count 6 or 7 songs that I really like. 6 or 7 out of 12 is a lot for me, because usually I don't have high expecations when veteran bands or artists release new music.

Now I only hope those 6 or 7 are exactly the ones they're going to play live. ;)

6 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Didn't really get into Dream No More yet, but other than that the first disc is great. Second disc not so much, apart from Here Comes Revenge and, of course, Spit Out The Bone.

But this album shows again that Hetfield and Ulrich tend to get carried away at times when they are in charge in the studio. It's no coincidence that they recorded their most coherent and homogenous album (Black Album) with a producer they hated. I say that, because I think some of the new songs are way too long. And sometimes I get the feeling some songs are long just for the sake of being long.

But overall it's a great album. Going through the tracklist in my head I count 6 or 7 songs that I really like. 6 or 7 out of 12 is a lot for me, because usually I don't have high expecations when veteran bands or artists release new music.

Now I only hope those 6 or 7 are exactly the ones they're going to play live. ;)

Oh, okay. I think it's a beast of a song! Just listen to that chorus, and the main riff, and the awesome sleazy two octave vocal during the verse (I LOVE that the vocal harmonies are back on this album by the way!)
I agree that the first disc is stronger than the second, definitely. As you say it does have Here comes revenge and Spit out the bone though, and Confusion is one of my favorites on the album (that main riff!). I just wish the chorus would be stronger but apart from that I think it's really good.

Sure, I see what you mean, but I still think the songs overall are better constructed and less...clusterfuck-y than many of the songs on Death magnetic. I kinda got bored with Death magnetic after a while not because the songs were bad but because they were so drawn out and kept going too long for their own good (The Judas kiss for example). I don't feel that way about this album at least yet, and if I will I think it will only be a handful of tracks really. To me the album overall sounds like a really good blend of The Black album and Load. Maybe with the exception of one or two songs it could well have been released in between those two albums.

Yes, I think so too! I haven't decided yet if I think it's better than Death magnetic though. As I said I think I won't be tired of listening to this album as quick as with Death magnetic, but overall I think there are a few more great songs on Death magnetic than there are on this album. Even though most songs on Death magnetic are too long there really isn't any song that I don't like that much, but with Hardwired... to self-destruct there are 3 that feel a bit so-so (Murder one, Am I savage? and ManUNkind) so far. It might change though so I'll wait a bit with my "final verdict".

Hehe, James said in a recent interview that he hopes they will play all the songs eventually, and I hope so too. It's mostly up to Lars though I guess, since he's the one who creates the setlists (with some occasional input from the other guys as well I guess).

Now That We're Dead really clicked for me today. What a riff!! I'm tempted to say that disc one is up there with the best they've ever released.

Nearly managed to listen to it all,  kids and work and all that crap, liking it quite a lots so far!!   

Not a metallica fan. Not even remotely.

but digging this stuff.

• Like 1

Now that the album is out for more than a month I can say that this is definately my album of the year. Ah, fuck it, it's the album of the decade, easily. I have to admit, though, that there are 5 songs on it that I don't like. Now you might wonder how it can be my album of the decade if I don't like 5 out of 12 songs. It's because the other 7 just blow me away. They all are up there with the best the band has ever released. I mean, Spit Out The Bone, are you f.... kiddin' me!!! That melodic part in the middle?! Sublime!

Can't wait to see them live!

It does kick arse indeed, which 5 don't you like ?  Or do you not just like them as quite as much ? 

What about the bonus disc ? I haven't heard it yet!!  Arrrgh!!  Blame the 4 year old in our house! 

1 hour ago, ukjohnney said:

It does kick arse indeed, which 5 don't you like ?  Or do you not just like them as quite as much ? 

What about the bonus disc ? I haven't heard it yet!!  Arrrgh!!  Blame the 4 year old in our house! 

Confusion, Dream No More, ManUNkind, Am I Savage, Murder One

Dream No More is quite okay, but the rest doesn't do anything for me.

But the other 7? Holy crap!

I listened to the bonus disc once. Some nice live versions but nothing to get too excited about. Wouldn't miss it if I wouldn't have it.

I listened to it twice... I like it OK enough. It's definitely a hell of a lot better than most of their more recent stuff (and by more recent stuff I mean pretty much anything post the black album). I'm sorry to say though that I thought it was just ok, nothing I'll go back to all that often. 

I like it quite a bit.  To give personal context, I like "Load" a lot, "Reload" not so much, "St. Anger" not at all, and "Death Magnetic" a lot.  To me, "Hardwired" seems to be an excellent "next" step from "Death Magnetic."  I'm looking forward to seeing them--and these new songs--live!

38 minutes ago, Pastor Jeff said:

I like it quite a bit.  To give personal context, I like "Load" a lot, "Reload" not so much, "St. Anger" not at all, and "Death Magnetic" a lot.  To me, "Hardwired" seems to be an excellent "next" step from "Death Magnetic."  I'm looking forward to seeing them--and these new songs--live!

Load/Reload is a bit like Human Touch/Lucky Town. Take the best of both and make it into one album and you got one hell of a record.

4 hours ago, J said:

I listened to it twice... I like it OK enough. It's definitely a hell of a lot better than most of their more recent stuff (and by more recent stuff I mean pretty much anything post the black album). I'm sorry to say though that I thought it was just ok, nothing I'll go back to all that often. 

The only songs I immediatly liked were Hardwired and Moth Into Flame. All the others I needed 5 or 6 spins to get into them. When I heard Spit Out The Bone for the first time I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Now it just blows me away.

• Like 1

The more I'm listening, the more I like it.  The first five songs are great--GREAT!  Halo on Fire is a little let-down to end the first disc.  I love Confusion to start the second disc.  ManUNkind and Here Comes Revenge are pretty good, but Am I Savage? and Murder One are meh.  Spit Out the Bone, however, rocks me to my bones!  All together, a pretty great album--more than acceptable!

Do I want heavy?  Yeah, I want heavy!  Metallica gives me heavy, baby!

• Like 1