Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wasted in the heat

OFFICIAL 2016 NFL Thread

Not sure if I am GL authorized to start and OFFICIAL thread, but figured what the hell.  We need this here.  The 2016 season starts next week and there is already plenty of fodder for discussion.  Kaepernick, Bridgwater's injury, etc.   

I'm guardedly optimistic about my Falcons.  Feel like they should be improved from last season, but a very difficult schedule looms.  Could be a better team with a worse record.  Feel like its a make or break year for Matt Ryan.  If he doesn't show significant improvement, I think he could be on his way to being a backup somewhere.  Like the guy so really rooting for him to succeed.  

Pin it mods.  

Hah...almost started this thread after Bridgewater's injury.  Couldn't find the previous thread...

Season is looking bleak for the Bears.  Already wrecked by injuries and the talent depth was enough to sustain the amount of injuries they have had.  Gonna be a long season.

Was hoping Minnesota would challenge GB for the NFC North crown, but I reckon Bridgewater's injury put paid to that idea.

Just now, Power13 said:

Hah...almost started this thread after Bridgewater's injury.  Couldn't find the previous thread...

Season is looking bleak for the Bears.  Already wrecked by injuries and the talent depth was enough to sustain the amount of injuries they have had.  Gonna be a long season.

Was hoping Minnesota would challenge GB for the NFC North crown, but I reckon Bridgewater's injury put paid to that idea.

Agree about the Vikings.  Was reading something yesterday that said the type of injury Bridgewater has could potentially lead to the loss of a leg (although the news that there was no nerve damage was promising).  Jeebus!  Feel bad for the guy.  Might not come back from this.  

From what I read, the fact that there was no nerve damage or arterial damage indicates that he should recover.  I guess his knee was completely dislocated when he was lying there on the turf, but there were no broken bones.  Sounds like it was pretty grisly given the teammates reactions....I'm guess a lower leg laying there at an unnatural angle.

The Giants offensive line in preseason looks like they all met up at Secaucus Junction before the game and rode over together. No 1st unit TD drives, if they get one tonight will be against scrubs. They resigned former cast off Will Beatty this week because through all the FA acquisitions and drafting they ignored the most gaping hole on the team. 

The offense has a chance to put up alot of points with Beckham, Shepard and Cruz at WR and the defense should be better.

1 hour ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Agree about the Vikings.  Was reading something yesterday that said the type of injury Bridgewater has could potentially lead to the loss of a leg (although the news that there was no nerve damage was promising).  Jeebus!  Feel bad for the guy.  Might not come back from this.  

1 hour ago, Power13 said:

From what I read, the fact that there was no nerve damage or arterial damage indicates that he should recover.  I guess his knee was completely dislocated when he was lying there on the turf, but there were no broken bones.  Sounds like it was pretty grisly given the teammates reactions....I'm guess a lower leg laying there at an unnatural angle.

Here ya go. http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-vikings-trainers-saved-bridgewaters-leg-and-career/ar-AAikdAV?li=BBnb7Kz. He dislocated the femur from the tibia. Yikes. 

Also that surface in that new stadium for the Vikings is like a slip and slide. That RB for the Chargers ruptured an achilles during Sunday's game. 

Sneaky little punt on the jets & jags

Close season seems to last forever.

For the Colts this year, it's all about the O-Line, like most teams.

And in the preseason all was going well until the Left Guard went down, all of a sudden major shuffle on the O-Line.

With all the weapons the Colts have, just give Luck time to throw and we win.

17 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Vikings trade for Sam Bradford.

Yep. And they gave up a lot to get him.  Think Teddy might be done.  

Too bad if he is, I reckoned the Vikes were a nice dark horse this season, liked the look of Teddy last season.

Just seen the Jints' cuts.

Few surprises.....no full backs "by committee" says Mac.

Cowgals sign Mark Sanchez....start him next Sunday.......I dare you, I fucking double dare you.

6 hours ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Yep. And they gave up a lot to get him.  Think Teddy might be done.  

I don't understand that at all....give up a lot for Bradford?  While a competent QB, he is not someone you give up a lot for. He doesn't replace TB or bring more to the team. Even if Bridgewater is done (way too early to tell), you don't mortgage your future for a guy who doesn't make the "now" possible. 

1 minute ago, Power13 said:

I don't understand that at all....give up a lot for Bradford?  While a competent QB, he is not someone you give up a lot for. He doesn't replace TB or bring more to the team. Even if Bridgewater is done (way too early to tell), you don't mortgage your future for a guy who doesn't make the "now" possible. 

Completely agree.  Was surprised they gave up a first.  

The QB talent outside of teams that have prominent franchise QB's is as scarce as I can recall.

Bradford is mediocre at best.

I have a question though, and P13 you might be best to answer given how much training you do, how could Bridgewater do so much damage in a non-contact situation? He was dropping back to pass, planted his foot and then went down.  I know that non-contact knee injuries (in football at least) usually don't have a good outcome. For an ACL tear and structural damage that was so severe, was something weakening that just gave way?

From what I have gathered, his injury was somewhat of a freak occurrence. With the knee dislocated, his calf / foot was apparently facing the wrong direction from his thigh. Whether it was @ 90* or something more extreme, I don't know. Based on his teammates ported reactions, I though he had some kind of compound fracture, but apparently it was the leg pointed in the wrong direction that caused their reaction. Sounded pretty nasty....

basically think if someone grabbed your calf and twisted it so that it pivoted at the knee and your foot was facing the wrong direction. Imagine all the shearing forces that would take place within your knee. This type of injury can tear arteries, which is what leads to loss of the leg. But because he did not suffer any arterial or nerve damage, he is expected to make a full recovery. 

But he has a LONG road ahead of him. This is much worse than a typical ACL tear. 

17 minutes ago, Power13 said:

From what I have gathered, his injury was somewhat of a freak occurrence. With the knee dislocated, his calf / foot was apparently facing the wrong direction from his thigh. Whether it was @ 90* or something more extreme, I don't know. Based on his teammates ported reactions, I though he had some kind of compound fracture, but apparently it was the leg pointed in the wrong direction that caused their reaction. Sounded pretty nasty....

basically think if someone grabbed your calf and twisted it so that it pivoted at the knee and your foot was facing the wrong direction. Imagine all the shearing forces that would take place within your knee. This type of injury can tear arteries, which is what leads to loss of the leg. But because he did not suffer any arterial or nerve damage, he is expected to make a full recovery. 

But he has a LONG road ahead of him. This is much worse than a typical ACL tear. 

Ok thanks.

I'll go throw up now. One thing that will make my stomach weak is seeing a knee or leg injury of some sort.

Kevin Ware and Shaun Livingston always come to mind when these unfortunate incidents occur.

1 hour ago, Swamps_Of_Jersey said:

How did this thread lose it's pin? 

Don't think this one ever got a pin.  

I know the Vikings gave up alot for Bradford,  but if they gave up a fifth round pick. They gave to much.

So yes, the Vikings gave ten times to much.

3 hours ago, VABOSSFAN said:

Finally REAL football is about to begin. :)

You mean Hand-egg don't you, the American version that was a derivative of Rugby and that involves very little use of the feet -- as opposed to the worldwide version actually played with the feet?