5 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Out of tune, how? Do you mean vocally?

Her singing is pretty dreadful at times. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Out of tune, how? Do you mean vocally?

There is a Human Touch from the first US tour leg that she is painfully off key in the bridge. I don't remember the exact show. It might be the first time they played Human Touch.

I have no issue at all with Patti. But she is absolutely not a critical part of the ESB. They go on with her or without her. When she's there she sings backup and plays acoustic guitar that no one ever hears.

• Like 1

I have always been baffled by the downright cruel remarks aimed at her.  It's just that if nothing else out of respect to Bruce if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything at all..  He deserves better and so does Patty.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, aramuse said:

He deserves better and so does Patty.

Yeah really, so respect her and spell her name the way she wants it.

I read somewhere that when Evan, Jess & Sam were kids, Bruce & Patti would fly in seperate planes in case one crashed.

When the kids were growing up, Bruce took down his gold records and hid his awards as he didn't want his kids to feel the pressure of trying to out do the old man.

Maybe some fans out there don't like Patti because she didn't have to work hard to get into the band and on the TOL tour, she took over from The Big Man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demos said:

There was a performance of One Step Up a while ago where Patti really lost things toward the end. I just think she's not into the stage side if things anymore. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark V said:

I read somewhere that when Evan, Jess & Sam were kids, Bruce & Patti would fly in seperate planes in case one crashed.

When the kids were growing up, Bruce took down his gold records and hid his awards as he didn't want his kids to feel the pressure of trying to out do the old man.

Maybe some fans out there don't like Patti because she didn't have to work hard to get into the band and on the TOL tour, she took over from The Big Man.

I wouldn't say she didn't have to work hard, although she didn't have the most expansive music resume, she definitely had experience from singing in Trickster (a street performing group she did with Soozie Tryell and Lisa Lowell) and she's worked with Southside Johnny, David Sancious, and many other names on the Jersey Shore. So she wasn't a virgin to the music scene is all I'm trying to say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bsfan50 said:

I wouldn't say she didn't have to work hard, although she didn't have the most expansive music resume, she definitely had experience from singing in Trickster (a street performing group she did with Soozie Tryell and Lisa Lowell) and she's worked with Southside Johnny, David Sancious, and many other names on the Jersey Shore. So she wasn't a virgin to the music scene is all I'm trying to say.

Yep, but I think some fans don't know that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I admire Patti an incredible amount. I think without her Bruce might not be who he is today... I really don't think she deserves the hate she gets at all

Spot on Rachel.

When you consider the amount of happiness and joy Bruce has given to so many people (esp. on this board) I am very glad that he has been able to find happiness with Patti and his family.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mark V said:

I'd never heard that- that's pretty great!

• Like 3

I don't doubt the incredible and important role she plays in Bruce's life and surely influenced him a great deal to do many of the things we love him for, but for the most part whenever I hear her on stage with the E Street Band it doesn't always sound right. I'm not sure the technical word, maybe its her pitch or key, but it sounds off. I'm sure she's a talented as she's a trained singer and has a solo career.

When I listen to some of the recordings from 1992, like the MTV plugged show, a lot of those songs were greatly enhanced (even more than usual) with the presence of a female backup singer so I don't think it's that necessarily. Especially that version of Darkness on the Edge of Town. Whoever that backup singer is she's phenomenal.

Here is an example. Beautiful song and one of my all time favorites but when she sings it starts to take a turn for the worse. If anyone disagrees I'd like to read any response.

That's not great, is it? Maybe her ear-piece wasn't working (if she wears one of those things?).  Still love her though.  And Bruce loves her.  End of.

And doesn't she always look fabulous as well?

• Like 6

Remember what Bono said about Patti, "She can tell the Boss off"

• Like 1

One of the many things I love about Bruce is that he hasn't done that rock & roll star thing of ditching Patti for some 20 year old bimbo. Long may their marriage last.:wub:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

One of the many things I love about Bruce is that he hasn't done that rock & roll star thing of ditching Patti for some 20 year old bimbo. Long may their marriage last.:wub:

True that, it's very respectable. It says a lot about who he is. Which is unlike some of the other super famous people in similar positions. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I guess in our dreams most of us ladies would love to be Mrs Springsteen

Only one Jersey Girl though...

sorry couldn't resist

I don't mind either way. She wasn't at Milan night 1, my first Bruce show, but maybe next time...speaking of "new" members, Jake rocked ! Never got to see Clarence but loved the interaction between Bruce and Jake.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Demos said:

As I mentioned in my original post: Isn't Steve's too? I mean he certainly doesn't hit all the notes at times and I don't see that much talk about his awful singing compared to Patti.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I love the quote off Bruce's Storytellers episode when he mentions if they're having an argument and he says something that's a bit too much, she'll say "Why don't you put that on your next record, Mr. Bruce Springsteen?" 

No, she said "Tell that to your fans next time, Mr. Bruce Springsteen".

• Like 3

I love Patti, her voice, her own songs and loved seeing her in the TOL tours.

Even now, I love seeing her on stage and with Bruce out an about. 

• Like 2

Her warbling on the live in New York dvd is awful!..however the other times I've seen the band live or on dvd/bootleg she's been fine.

• Like 1

Personally I just dislike the sound of her voice. It's nothing personal, and personal attacks can never be justified, but I just think her singing is awful. It literally has the same effect on me as nails down a whiteboard. A good example is the caterwauling that precedes an other wise great version of 'Into the Fire' on the Live in Barcelona dvd. Bruce obviously feels she adds to the band, or added at least, but, beyond adding a female presence in '84, and the romantic frisson of '88 I really don't know what it is.

Even though I'm much more of a pre-BITUSA fan in general, I've never had a problem with her at all. I personally like her voice and have thought all her solo albums to be very good indeed. 

I've always thought that if she hadn't have married Bruce and got herself to Nashville, she would have had a pretty decent career by her own doing. 

I think she was and has been very good for Bruce. He needed some solid emotional support in the eighties and ninties and I think she steered him through that rough time. I really don't like to think what would have happened to him if he hadn't had got that help back then. He was a man very much on the edge, after all. 

As for Patti being responsible for Bruce's faltering connection with his fans, I really do disagree. I would put that more down to money and stardom. As grounded as he is for someone in his position, he's spent the majority of his life a very rich man. It must be very hard to connect with us. I'd say, if anything, his marriage and kids are the things that help him to keep connected.

• Like 1

Patti is pretty dam awsome on the intro to cover me on the live album 

• Like 2