Greasy Lake Community

3 nights on the streets of Philadelphia

4 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

But did you get a cheesesteak?

4 in 3 days, but Jack was treating me with scorn for putting spicy mustard on one of them, so I don't think that one counts

He nearly killed me for that, someone has to post some signs about Cheesesteak Protocol for ignorant West Coast-ers like me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for this heart felt Post, great read.

On one hand I feel a bit envious about this last run of Shows, on the other I'm so happy for everybody who feels the magic to still witness the great moments of a Bruce concert. He's 67, running for 4 hrs, he doesn't have to...

Yes to be shnowed out in January was Bad, but the people of GL (and Nils!) saved it. To be able to make it to the make up date in March and then to another 5 Shows, is like another Dream come true.

So this all, even "only" on SLV leaves a big smile on my face.

• Like 3

great read there Mr Trouble

glad you had such a great time

but you live on the West coast ?

do you wish you were from New Jersey ? :D

(like I do - deadly serous )

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

great read there Mr Trouble

glad you had such a great time

but you live on the West coast ?

do you wish you were from New Jersey ? :D

(like I do - deadly serous )

Grew up in the desert of Arizona in the only big city in the state, Phoenix.  Currently live in the mountains of Colorado, at the base of the beautiful Pike's Peak.

It's funny, I don't think I have ever wished to LIVE on the East Coast, but I sure want the access to Bruce that living there would bring. 

It's not as bad as where you live Daisey, but to see Bruce in Colorado, I have one chance with a drive of less than 12 hours.  So nearly every show I have seen included airfare, hotel, rental cars and a lot of time spent traveling and in hotels.

If I lived here in Philadelphia (where I am this morning) I would have had a dozen or more chances with a drive of 2-3 hours.  Pretty easy access to New Jersey, New York, Washington DC plus the Philly shows would have let me easily see Bruce 10+ times and never have to get a flight or a hotel if I didn't want. 

But I do love my mountains, the Rocky Mountains are spectacular even though the winters are harsh.  While I might move again some day, it probably won't be the East Coast as my destination, maybe Florida where I can retire where it's warm and I can wear some black socks with my sandals, a look I have always admired :lol:

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Skin2Skin said:

Mustard?

So glad you got a legendary pair of shows for the memory book, and the classic Jack-run Philly tailgate, too. He's the host with the most.

I do believe I was lucky to survive the event.  ;)

I remain ignorant about Cheesesteak protocol, but I swear I will never mustard one again

• Like 4
16 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Grew up in the desert of Arizona in the only big city in the state, Phoenix.  Currently live in the mountains of Colorado, at the base of the beautiful Pike's Peak.

It's funny, I don't think I have ever wished to LIVE on the East Coast, but I sure want the access to Bruce that living there would bring. 

It's not as bad as where you live Daisey, but to see Bruce in Colorado, I have one chance with a drive of less than 12 hours.  So nearly every show I have seen included airfare, hotel, rental cars and a lot of time spent traveling and in hotels.

If I lived here in Philadelphia (where I am this morning) I would have had a dozen or more chances with a drive of 2-3 hours.  Pretty easy access to New Jersey, New York, Washington DC plus the Philly shows would have let me easily see Bruce 10+ times and never have to get a flight or a hotel if I didn't want. 

But I do love my mountains, the Rocky Mountains are spectacular even though the winters are harsh.  While I might move again some day, it probably won't be the East Coast as my destination, maybe Florida where I can retire where it's warm and I can wear some black socks with my sandals, a look I have always admired :lol:

Ahhhhhhh I know Phoenix (that's were Balls Swan lived with her mother in Twilight ) 

Sorry possibly too much information there :o

Colorado from pictures I have seen looks very beautiful

I do not trust living on the flat so I also like the mountains 

My Friend lived in Maine for many years due to work and also lived far from Bruce

I guess it makes us appreciate what we can get but your setlist the other night was worth a lifetime of waiting for 

• Like 1
On 11/09/2016 at 3:50 AM, CmonMrTrouble said:

Most of you have known me for a long time, but some of you maybe not so much.

I was here early on in GL history, not one of the first for sure, but I stumbled in here during the Reunion Tour hoping for news about shows and the future of the band/singer I was so devoted to.  I was happy to find others who felt like me, and enjoyed the friendships and arguments equally and over the 15+ years, this has become part of my home and many of you have become part of my life.

We are a west coast couple, my wife Kelley and I.  Over the years, we saw Bruce many times, but always in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, LA, Phoenix, Denver, Houston and Dallas, mutiple time for most of those cities.   I have always followed SLV and always lamented my inability to travel to the East coast for shows, mostly due to lack of money and a very busy life.  I've never felt sorry for myself, we have a blessed life in many ways, but I have to admit being jealous of those who would see multiple shows in their hometown and could drive a few hours and see another show the next week.

In 2012, we came to  NYC for the Metlife shows, but even that wasn't really for Bruce, this time it was a gathering of friends to celebrate and mourn the loss of our friend Rich, FR7, FireRich however it was you knew him.  Coming to NY and being with all those friends made me realize the extent of the reach of Greasy Lake.  We met friends from Australia, Canada, Europe and of course other states from here in the US. 

Seeing Bruce in Jersey that week was definitely a dream coming true, and like many of you, I had hoped to do it "some day"    But something had always seemed to elude me, the "legendary show" the one everyone else wanted to be a part of.  In 30 years of following Bruce up and down the west coast, I never felt like I saw Winterland, or the Roxy shows, or the 7-1-2000 show.  Those Metlife shows were great and the birthday/lightning show was what I thought would be the closest I would get to that epic, best show of your life, type of moment.

That all ends this week.   I had noticed (like everyone has) that over the years Bruce seemed to love Philadelphia and pulled out amazing shows for Philly at almost every tour.  I had hoped to return to NY for this run (was snowed out of my MSG show in January) but the Metlife dates were impossible.  So we decided to take a chance on Philly and you all know what happened, we were sooooooo lucky to see both nights and finally seeing a "legendary show" has been scratched off my list.

Many nights I went home after a show and was glad to have gotten Meeting into Jungleland, or Incident into Rosie, or perhaps one of the epic songs, Racing, SITN, Kitty, Sandy and the like.  

This week, in just two nights I saw 15-20 of those songs, any two of which would have made me feel the "standard show" was better than usual.  You have seen the setlists and both nights were great, even if Wednesday was better than Friday, for me at least.  Sometimes you just can't top the last show, even though Bruce tried on Friday night.  As a lover of the first two albums, Wednesday was the dream setlist. 

Wednesday was it for me, my legendary show.  While I will be at Gilette stadium for the tour finale, I will not be expecting Philly Night #1 to be surpassed.  He might be able to do it, but I won't expect it ever again.  I believe I have seen the best E Street Band show in my life and it happened on Wednesday night.

But it was more than that - it was the people, the old friends before and after the show.  The friends I finally met in person and the ones who brought their kids to the show, training the next generation correctly ;) and the total strangers who were still united in our love for the music of Bruce Springsteen.  On Wednesday, there were 3 couples sitting behind us, all in their early 20's who sang along with the rare songs, cheered during the first few notes as they recognized the next song and stayed until the last echo of the music had faded away.  Thirty years down the road, I shared their enthusiasm, but not their energy, not any more.  Maybe we have nothing else in common, but for that 4 hours we were bonded, united, and it felt great to share that with thousands who felt the same.

Greasy Lake has given me that same feeling, almost every day and I think it might be true I haven't appreciated it enough.  So if you think I am talking about you now, then I am, thanks.......thanks for being a special part of the last 15+ years and a friend on the board and in real life. 

For those of you who shared a few minutes, a beer or a story or two with me in the last few days, thanks for being a part of this amazing week with me.  For those of you meeting up with us in Boston, let's do this one more time.........maybe Bruce and the E Street family have one more legendary night in reserve for this tour, and if he does, then let's witness it together, as he would want us to

Crackin' post. B)

• Like 1
On 9/10/2016 at 8:50 PM, CmonMrTrouble said:

For those of you who shared a few minutes, a beer or a story or two with me in the last few days, thanks for being a part of this amazing week with me.  For those of you meeting up with us in Boston, let's do this one more time.........maybe Bruce and the E Street family have one more legendary night in reserve for this tour, and if he does, then let's witness it together, as he would want us to

I'll be damned, he had one more legendary night in reserve....it's been one hell of a week :D

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...

Crazy to think it has been 3 years already. 

My best "Bruce Week" with 3 legendary shows, Philly # 1, Philly # 2 and up to Boston for the final night of the tour.

Anyone of these shows would have been my "legendary" show by themselves, getting 3 amazing shows between Sept 7th and Sept 14th still convinces me I saw Bruce at his best as he wrapped up a week I won't forget.

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1
19 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Crazy to think it has been 3 years already. 

My best "Bruce Week" with 3 legendary shows, Philly # 1, Philly # 2 and up to Boston for the final night of the tour.

Anyone of these shows would have been my "legendary" show by themselves, getting 3 amazing shows between Sept 7th and Sept 14th still convinces me I saw Bruce at his best as he wrapped up a week I won't forget.

I must have missed this thread the first go round. What a great OP. 

Mr. Shark, you have seen way more shows than I. But have to ask, the last show at Foxboro, was that the best It Hard To Be A Saint In The City ever? 

oddly i was reminded of the philly show by the peanuts in western star video. fellow next but one to me was shelling peanuts at an extraordinary rate,his other half(sat next to me) spent more time away than sat down. maybe he was nervous she wouldnt return but i kid you not the pile of shells must have been nearly a foot high

• Haha 1
On 9/8/2019 at 6:27 PM, Jimmy James said:

I must have missed this thread the first go round. What a great OP. 

Mr. Shark, you have seen way more shows than I. But have to ask, the last show at Foxboro, was that the best It Hard To Be A Saint In The City ever? 

I am hesitant to say "best version ever" but it WAS amazing and a highlight for me on a night filled with them

• Like 1