CmonMrTrouble

Book Tour extended to include London

Not to be Queen of the Prigs, but the book and meeting Bruce aren't necessarily connected. The point of writing and reading the book is different than the book signings, which Bruce is perfectly lovely to do, but are more of a kindness than a promotion. He spent his real energy writing a great book. That was the point of writing it. That should be the point of buying/reading it.

So if you bought a book and didn't get to meet Bruce Springsteen...there's no real connection between those two facts. He can't meet everyone who buys a book. Whole swaths of the world will not be meeting him. One thing really has very little to do with the other. 

The book is great for any Springsteen fan, I think, except those who are interested in a dialectic on hair plugs. 

I'm happy for everyone who got to meet him, sad for those for whom it would have meant a great deal who did not, but criticizing him for any part of this (except the leaving early part) seems to me both unappreciative of what he has done and unrealistic about the way it's been done.

When I first heard about the book, I couldn't have dreamed he'd do this for the fans. Then he made a trip to London to do more. It's amazing.

He may do more, he may not. Either way, he's done so much.

Including writing an incredibly personal, witty, thoughtful book.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, davemunday said:

35 people didn't up! Not letting the last ten in terrible , mocking the fans disgusting.

So Bruce's people reading the board .... Anything to add? 

thats it in a nutshell, just to add how long before first book appears on ebay or any other similar site

1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

I now have to own up to going to the Waterstones event. Like everyone else here I tried when tickets went on sale, but was unlucky and just thought that was it. 6.30pm on Friday evening I received a pm via Greasy Lake from Simon & Schuster asking for a phone number as they wanted to speak to me. I expected it to be something to do with recording the book, as I was the person who started the thread.

However, nothing to do with that, it was about me getting the book early. As I had not 'gone public' and given away any spoilers, they wanted to,invite me to the book signing! Could not believe it!

To cap it all, drove to Shepherds Bysh this morning, parked and got tube. Took a wrong turn (and just kept going!) and happened to be walking past Claridges, just as Bruce came out. Got a fantastic photo which I will post on Just Bruce.

Great event at Waterstones, pretty chaotic but I got a lovely pic with him and met some lovely people in the queue, genuine fans, even if they weren't Lakers. Hope everyone else arrived in time, as it did start earlier than advertised.

Wow!!!  So happy for you, Ann!!  (And so jealous :P)    Can't wait to hear a bit more of your thoughts on the meeting and see a picture.  If I ever have a secret, I'll know I can trust you LOL.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

thats it in a nutshell, just to add how long before first book appears on ebay or any other similar site

Most fans would have already bought the book by the time this was announced, and if they want to sell their signed copy, they are entitled to do that.

Oh Ann so happy for you how good is this ! just seen the photo looks amazing can`t wait for you to tell us all about Bruce , a fantastic memory  to treasure  .well deserved  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Hahemaymac said:

I've been quietly following this thread to hear how today went. I'm so pleased for what sounds like the lovely people who did get the golden tickets. But to be honest, now all I want to know is - where IS Newcastle Roy? Never met the guy, know very little about him but from what I read he must be pretty amazing. When do the 'Meet Roy' tickets go on sale? 

I imagine the first update will be on the News at 10.

"A man has been arrested after refusing to let go of American musician Bruce Springsteen's ankles as he was being dragged away."

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jankulovski said:

I imagine the first update will be on the News at 10.

"A man has been arrested after refusing to let go of American musician Bruce Springsteen's ankles as he was being dragged away."

No news yet? A touch of the vapours perhaps?

image.jpg

• Like 4

He's hot footing it back to Newcastle cos he's worried if he stays in London too long he'll turn into a Man Yoo fan :P

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

He's hot footing it back to Newcastle cos he's worried if he stays in London too long he'll turn into a Man Yoo fan :P

apparently the Toon pub in London is on Wigmore St so I would start my search there....

5.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JohnstownCo said:

He's talking to Sarfraz Manzoor in the photo. Long time Bruce fan and committed concert attendee (and Bruce related author) 

Lost respect for that guy on twitter this summer when he was looking for an easy way to get into the pit at Wembley. Told him to queue like the rest of us, as did lots of other people.  He asked someone who was interpreting for the deaf if they had a spare pit pass or two. Knob.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Elbow said:

Lost respect for that guy on twitter this summer when he was looking for an easy way to get into the pit at Wembley. Told him to queue like the rest of us, as did lots of other people.  He asked someone who was interpreting for the deaf if they had a spare pit pass or two. Knob.

it was long held on SPL that he was a nob, a fair few people had similar "I'm so special" stories about him.

I met him on the tube after a Wembley arena gig in '02. I'll be honest, he was perfectly nice to chat to but I already knew the stories, so I was a bit wary.

1 hour ago, the calvary said:

sounds to me that waterstones and publisher could have got together on this and given ten people the shot that 35 people didn't take. 35 out of 500 is a ridiculous amount of no shows. We all know 35 people here who would have been so happy with that chance.

Slightly off topic, but yes that is a ridiculous amount of no shows, but probably not in the way you meant it. I'm often involved in similar events and the usual assumption is that up to a third of people may be no shows for whatever reason.  35 out of 500 is actually a really low number...

Anyone got a spare ticket for earlier today? I know I also need a time machine but that'll be easier to arrange than the ticket.

It looked like the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

'I'm cold, Bruce' .... and he puts his leather jacket around your shoulders.

ENORMOUS sigh ... :wub:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7384818/adele-bruce-springsteen-coat-lisbon

13 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

Simon and Schuster do have a presence on here. I know this because they have been in contact with me regarding my early acquisition of the book. (They have been nice about it, btw!)

If they're still here, can they please try to convince Bruce to do a few more appearances in the States? Lots of us in Flyover Country would love to see him too! Thanks! :)

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if a good percentage of the no-shows were tickets bought by scalpers that they then realised they couldn't sell on. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AMIW said:

apparently the Toon pub in London is on Wigmore St so I would start my search there....

5.jpg

You expect me to go searching for Roy in my jim jams, Andrew? Remember it's nearly bedtime here in Englandshire ;)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

You expect me to go searching for Roy in my jim jams, Andrew? Remember it's nearly bedtime here in Englandshire ;)

no just call the pub and ask them if there is a man gently sobbing in the corner

• Like 3

I don't want to be one of those people...but I'm thinking of going along to the hotel tomorrow. 

It's a life goal to meet him and I'm starting to think this is the only possible way.

Has anyone ever done it and is there any point? I wouldn't be able to get there until almost 11am.