Greasy Lake Community

Touts

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Google has suspended Viagogo as an advertiser, after claims touts resell tickets at inflated prices on the site.

The Competition and Market Authority is taking the ticketing website to court, alleging it has not done enough to change its business practices.

It says it is "working with the CMA".

Last year, the Football Association, the trade body UK Music and some MPs signed an open letter to senior Google executives, urging it to stop Viagogo from advertising.

In a statement on Wednesday, Google said: "When people use our platform for help in purchasing tickets, we want to make sure that they have an experience they can trust.

"This is why we have strict policies and take necessary action when we find an advertiser in breach."

In response, Viagogo said: "We were extremely surprised to learn of Google's concerns today. We are confident that there has been no breach of Google's policies and look forward to working with them to resolve this as quickly as possible."

The CMA initially launched legal action against Viagogo in August last year, over concerns it was breaking consumer-protection law.

As a result, a court ordered the company to overhaul the way it did business, including telling buyers:

• which seat they would get
  • if there was a risk they would be turned away at the door

Now, the CMA alleges that Viagogo is ignoring its demands to make changes and plans to launch legal proceedings for contempt of court.

It claims Viagogo is still giving:

• misleading ticket-availability messages
  • incomplete addresses of businesses selling tickets
  • insufficient warning tickets with resale restrictions may not allow entry

If found in contempt, the company could face high fines.

FanFair Alliance, a music industry campaign group, said: "We are delighted Google has finally acted and suspended Viagogo's advertising. We now hope other platforms, particularly Facebook, can follow its example."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49015863

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Google has suspended Viagogo as an advertiser, after claims touts resell tickets at inflated prices on the site.

The Competition and Market Authority is taking the ticketing website to court, alleging it has not done enough to change its business practices.

It says it is "working with the CMA".

Last year, the Football Association, the trade body UK Music and some MPs signed an open letter to senior Google executives, urging it to stop Viagogo from advertising.

In a statement on Wednesday, Google said: "When people use our platform for help in purchasing tickets, we want to make sure that they have an experience they can trust.

"This is why we have strict policies and take necessary action when we find an advertiser in breach."

In response, Viagogo said: "We were extremely surprised to learn of Google's concerns today. We are confident that there has been no breach of Google's policies and look forward to working with them to resolve this as quickly as possible."

The CMA initially launched legal action against Viagogo in August last year, over concerns it was breaking consumer-protection law.

As a result, a court ordered the company to overhaul the way it did business, including telling buyers:

• which seat they would get
  • if there was a risk they would be turned away at the door

Now, the CMA alleges that Viagogo is ignoring its demands to make changes and plans to launch legal proceedings for contempt of court.

It claims Viagogo is still giving:

• misleading ticket-availability messages
  • incomplete addresses of businesses selling tickets
  • insufficient warning tickets with resale restrictions may not allow entry

If found in contempt, the company could face high fines.

FanFair Alliance, a music industry campaign group, said: "We are delighted Google has finally acted and suspended Viagogo's advertising. We now hope other platforms, particularly Facebook, can follow its example."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49015863

Get mein Viagogo etc have been blatantly ripping us off now for too long. I hate the way they so politely deflect responsibility.

Isnt Getmein part of those other fleecers Ticketmaster?

Corporate greed linked with individual greed say it as it is you sons a bitches!!!!

Regulate it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Get mein Viagogo etc have been blatantly ripping us off now for too long. I hate the way they so politely deflect responsibility.

Isnt Getmein part of those other fleecers Ticketmaster?

Corporate greed linked with individual greed say it as it is you sons a bitches!!!!

Regulate it!

because its corporate it takes for ever to get anything done, methinks google is just trying to make itself look good, but you also should remember it appears the artists themselves are quite happy to use sites like viagogo. ticketmaster  does its own resales now dosent it allegedly  at retail price plus fees, again not convinced. getmein no longer exists

• Like 1

Its never going too be stopped they can just set there own re sale sites up + Ebay & Gumtree etc then selling them out side Stadiums/Arenas or even away from in the Citys on event days.

You can get tixs dirt cheap on show day if your willing too hang around ive brought under FV tixs off Viagogo on show day & they all were legit tixs

16 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

because its corporate it takes for ever to get anything done, methinks google is just trying to make itself look good, but you also should remember it appears the artists themselves are quite happy to use sites like viagogo. ticketmaster  does its own resales now dosent it allegedly  at retail price plus fees, again not convinced. getmein no longer exists

I don't know too much about the subject, but I'm not convinced that the artists are happy about secondary resale sites - they just can't do much about it, although some try.

Pearl Jam famously took on Ticketmaster way back in 1995:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pearl-jam-taking-on-ticketmaster-67440/    The ticket prices in this article look laughable by today's standards.

More recently Ed Sheeran tried to ban secondary sites from his tour:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/06/ed-sheeran-rip-off-secondary-ticketing-sites-viagogo-stubhub

I applaud their efforts, but ultimately it will need government interjection and new laws to final rid ourselves of the scourge of legitimate large scale touting. Not likely to happen with our present government.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevtam said:

I don't know too much about the subject, but I'm not convinced that the artists are happy about secondary resale sites - they just can't do much about it, although some try.

Yeah, it's not the artists, it's the greed of the management, promoters etc who want a bigger slice of the pie.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Yeah, it's not the artists, it's the greed of the management, promoters etc who want a bigger slice of the pie.

you are probably right but in reality it means the same thing dosent it?, re demands made on the promoters, venues etc

5 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Live nation admit placing tickets directly onto resale sites......

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/19/live-nation-metallica-tickets-resale-sites-concerts

well that’s a surprise isnt it!  Although they say it’s a rare situation! :ph34r:

Told you.
And I wouldn't trust them an inch.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Live nation admit placing tickets directly onto resale sites......

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/19/live-nation-metallica-tickets-resale-sites-concerts

well that’s a surprise isnt it!  Although they say it’s a rare situation! :ph34r:

what arseholes

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

shows how much money is in it, nowadays these sites have tickets before they go on sale or within minutes of sale, ticketmaster resales are at vastly inflated prices so they break their own rules, laughable, but you will never stop it unless promoters/artists/venues get together and that aint going to happen. its greed by all concerned

• Sad 1

A few times recently I seen cases where you can get a priority presale code by ordering the artist's new album from their website. In theory giving fans first crack at the tickets. The flaw is the little link saying "No purchase necessary" so I guess a tout could register multiple email addresses without having to make a purchase.

I seen today he sold SH for £310 million then look what they brought it back for....!!!!!!

Its defo not stopping any time soon ive brought of them had half price tixs for U2 its just the fans are paying this silly money seen 2 tixs for ACDC with BJ sell for €25000 in Vegas on Viagogo

More choice for customers, my ass. 

I'd honestly rather camp outside the venue for a week, than having to buy tickets on the secondary market. I hate myself every time I have to do it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvia said:

More choice for customers, my ass. 

I'd honestly rather camp outside the venue for a week, than having to buy tickets on the secondary market. I hate myself every time I have to do it. 

if Bruce came to play Slovenian would the demand be great and it would be hard to get tickets ?

20 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Brings to mind Bruce's own couplet,

"It's been going on forever

It ain't ever gonna stop."

That's true if the market is allowed to regulate itself. Only government intervention can bring an end to this ridiculous state of affairs.

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

if Bruce came to play Slovenian would the demand be great and it would be hard to get tickets ?

Whenever a well known and established musician/group is playing here, there are always people from Croatia, Italy, and Austria in attendance.  I have also heard the Hungarian language. The stadium is usually full, I don't remember any of the artists having problems with the ticket sales. Occasionally, prices get dropped..
But we are too small and a bit more expensive than Zagreb or Belgrade, with arenas and stadiums which were constructed mainly for sports, and are therefore not the first pick of the promoters.  

An so we travel...:)

amazing10_location.jpg

59 minutes ago, kevtam said:

That's true if the market is allowed to regulate itself. Only government intervention can bring an end to this ridiculous state of affairs.

They've tried all ways to regulate this.  The lobby is too fierce and too powerful.  The lawmakers try to tackle this to show the punter that they are on their side, but it's bows and arrows against the lightning.

Impracticable as it would be for stadium shows, the only way to beat the touts is by showing ID at the venue, linked to the name on the ticket.  Some have tried this successfully.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Whenever a well known and established musician/group is playing here, there are always people from Croatia, Italy, and Austria in attendance.  I have also heard the Hungarian language. The stadium is usually full, I don't remember any of the artists having problems with the ticket sales. Occasionally, prices get dropped..
But we are too small and a bit more expensive than Zagreb or Belgrade, with arenas and stadiums which were constructed mainly for sports, and are therefore not the first pick of the promoters.  

An so we travel...:)

amazing10_location.jpg

i blame the promoters for everything ! 

i hope you get to see Bruce in your own country 

and i hope locals don't miss out

meanwhile wow ! your central to everything ! 

no sitting all alone in the middle of the ocean for you :)

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Spanish Juannie said:

I did enquire if the price includes a visit to the Rain forest as well.

This is quite near me.   It's a bargain!  ;)

"All of our tickets are valid for a whole year so you can come back as often as you like."

• Like 1