Greasy Lake Community

Song of the Day

5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I don't know about all of you, but it really grates on me that this song isn't known as well as it should be to mainstream audiences.

Yes, this version should of course be included on Live 1975/85 and not being tucked away on the 12" single of War.  (but instead of which song(s)? and also given there was a sort of 'theme' they aimed for with the sequencing of the songs on (especially) the vinyl sides; and also the space on vinyl records of 20 minutes).

This said, its relative obscurity has made Incident a sort of fan's secret, a cult song for the fans (just like the WIESS album itself).

• Like 1

On 06/01/2017 at 1:48 AM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

How can a poor man stand such times and live?

I've listened to this song over and over today, I just can't stop. I neglected this song for a while because I wasn't big on the Seeger Sessions album but Jesus this is amazing.

Neglecting the Seeger Sessions material for about 2 years brings a nice surprise when you're listening to the Live in Dublin songs that you haven't listened to since 2014 because you're intent on listening to every Bruce Springsteen song you've got on your iTunes in 2016 - a task that you inevitably fail :( 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Love this stripped back version of DITD from '93

Canny that. Seemed to get better the longer it went on. I think it's safe to say every live version of the song puts the studio version to shame, and I'm not even a massive, massive lover of the BITUSA/ToL tour versions (with the exception of the "sometimes I feel so lonely" bit he adds towards the end). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Canny that. Seemed to get better the longer it went on. I think it's safe to say every live version of the song puts the studio version to shame, and I'm not even a massive, massive lover of the BITUSA/ToL tour versions (with the exception of the "sometimes I feel so lonely" bit he adds towards the end). 

Yeah I agree, it makes me sad that the studio version was so synth heavy because it makes it sound unbearably cheesy. The lyrics are actually pretty underrated and I think they benefit from the stripped back live versions. It's a song that'll always make me smile though! (Partly because I think of the video and the dodgy dad dancing though) 

14 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Yeah I agree, it makes me sad that the studio version was so synth heavy because it makes it sound unbearably cheesy. The lyrics are actually pretty underrated and I think they benefit from the stripped back live versions. It's a song that'll always make me smile though! (Partly because I think of the video and the dodgy dad dancing though) 

That's what the mainstream fans wanted at the end of the day, and it's weird how with Bruce's two biggest mainstream hits, one is constantly misinterpreted and this one is literally about Bruce offering to have sex, I don't think some realise though. 

What I love about the live version, similarly with BITUSA, is how they're that much larger than life, I'll never get annoyed by someone saying "oh Springsteen? I like Dancing in the Dark/Born in the USA".

So awesome!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

That's what the mainstream fans wanted at the end of the day, and it's weird how with Bruce's two biggest mainstream hits, one is constantly misinterpreted and this one is literally about Bruce offering to have sex, I don't think some realise though. 

What I love about the live version, similarly with BITUSA, is how they're that much larger than life, I'll never get annoyed by someone saying "oh Springsteen? I like Dancing in the Dark/Born in the USA".

So awesome!

He needed to write a hit and that's what he done! So it's understandable. It's kinda funny, I think they just see Bruce as some stadium rocker and don't really take the time to look into the songs that much. 

I agree, I'm the same. I like the songs and I don't understand why people would dislike them just because they're popular. DITD is always great fun live, and I love seeing the joy on everyone's faces (and Bruce's!) when he plays it. That's a great one from Sunderland! Although the dancing is questionable :lol:

• Like 1