Sign in to follow this  
PrettyRedRose

The Crown on Netflix

I haven't watched a single episode but caught a minute or so of it when I was hunting for the second series of The Kominski Method. Joy of joys, I found it!

Now I know why I haven't watched any … dear me! :D I enjoy watching Victoria and also Helen Mirren's film but this is literally people dressing up and pretending to act out situations that the people who write the stuff know little about. Awful.

Now back to the good stuff ….

30 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I haven't watched a single episode but caught a minute or so of it when I was hunting for the second series of The Kominski Method. Joy of joys, I found it!

Now I know why I haven't watched any … dear me! :D I enjoy watching Victoria and also Helen Mirren's film but this is literally people dressing up and pretending to act out situations that the people who write the stuff know little about. Awful.

Aha....it must be a series that does not show up the royals as all sugary and sweet then ?....off with the script writers heads I tell you.;)

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Aha....it must be a series that does not show up the royals as all sugary and sweet then ?....off with the script writers heads I tell you.;)

Oh dear.

The main reason I haven't bothered with it @dr winston oboogie is that stuff about Royalty doesn't float my boat.

But you know that, don't you? You just can't resist it ...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

This third series of The Crown is nowhere near as good as the first two. 

7 hours ago, Eileen said:

As Rizla says, the third series is nowhere near as good as the first two which were, in my opinion, far superior to Victoria.

We can agree on the Kominski Method though - great fun!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eileen said:

Let's see if it's still there come March.

I thought it was the German lady Angela Merkel for a silly moment 

(Im on my phone)

Its all very odd

I hated the first series, hated the second series more but kind of enjoyed the 3rd one untill it got fact checked 

I love Victoria, The Queen not so much but for enjoy the King's speech 

I think its because this 3rd series and Victoria - im not all that up with all the history

But i am the first 2 series 

But i have to keep reminding myself its just entertainment- although ive read a few things latelly about a darker ulterior motive

The sets are beautiful

The jewles are not accurate which the amount of money they spent to make it is disappointing 

They have the Queen wearing things bequeathed to her by Queen Mary and her mother Queen Elizebth while both Queen's were still alive 

That's slopy in my book and a set / custume designer with google has no excuse for getting that wrong

So if they can't get the basics right it shouldn't shock me how they treat the Duke of Edinburgh and his side of the family and also the Queen mum 

I hope the real Queen has never watched it

I guess im looking forward to the Cambridges and Mary Berry 

But that's another thread :lol:

With just one episode left to watch, I think this has been a mixed bag of a series. The one we watched last night where the family stitched up Charles and Camilla was excellent. How much truth there was in that, I have no idea, but, my goodness they must now wish they had just let him get in with it! I didn't know Anne (whose character I really like in this) had a thing with Andrew Parker Bowles...

1 hour ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I saved myself the bother. I gathered that it would be dire.

The sets are beautiful

4 hours ago, whispered secret said:

With just one episode left to watch, I think this has been a mixed bag of a series. The one we watched last night where the family stitched up Charles and Camilla was excellent. How much truth there was in that, I have no idea, but, my goodness they must now wish they had just let him get in with it! I didn't know Anne (whose character I really like in this) had a thing with Andrew Parker Bowles...

It dies all seem rather cruel to all 3 people in that marrage

But without Di we wouldn't have William and Harry

I watched one of those Diana docos on netflex and i really had forbidden how vial the paparazzi were to her, note to self, be more understanding towards Prince Harry 

Ann and Andrew Parker Bowles  seen to be great old friends 

Over the years seen at Ascot together

gettyimages-982412896-1572895349.jpg

gettyimages-477610412-1572895349.jpg

gettyimages-516407326-1572895349.jpg

gettyimages-654215340-1572895349.jpg

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I saved myself the bother. I gathered that it would be dire.

I don't think you would find it in the least interesting!!

• Haha 2

Seeing as Andrew P-B and Anne are such good mates, with failed marriages behind them, and Charles and Camilla are now happily married, it would seem everyone could have been happier if the Queen Mother and Mountbatten had kept their noses out!

No William & Harry, but we would still have had princes and princesses no doubt and Diana might still be alive and married to some minor aristocrat we have never heard of.

27 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I don't think you would find it in the least interesting!!

It might have given me more of an insight on the inbreeding involved though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

Seeing as Andrew P-B and Anne are such good mates, with failed marriages behind them, and Charles and Camilla are now happily married, it would seem everyone could have been happier if the Queen Mother and Mountbatten had kept their noses out!

No William & Harry, but we would still have had princes and princesses no doubt and Diana might still be alive and married to some minor aristocrat we have never heard of.

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt that the QM and the Palace "old guard" made sure that Charles was stopped from marrying Camilla.  It was very obvious at the time that he was being firmly controlled in that department.  Ideally they would have liked him to marry someone from another European royal family, Queen Victoria-style, but there weren't many candidates.  I remember newspaper articles on the subject.

The QM and Diana's grandmother Lady Fermoy definitely pushed him into marrying Diana.  Those meddling old witches did a lot of harm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whispered secret said:

She might have kept Prince Andrew's nose clean and in nicer company 

I think the Queen mum and Di's grandma did some sort of match making but im not convinced that The Queen Mum and uncle Dickie would have worked together on any sort of 'project' because i don't think they liked each other especially with the Queen mum being so involved with the campaign to denie the Mountbatten name for the royal house

But no doubt they both were very close to Prince Charles

I can actually remember Lord Mountbatten's funeral being on tv

Its the earliest royal thing i can remember 

An intetesting wee read

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2020/01/jewels-on-film-crown-season-3-episode-6.html?m=1

Everdently Lord Snowden had been heaverly involved in Prince Charles' investitour as Prince of Wales but the writters of the crown really do pick and choose from history

Just finished the third series...fabulous

Brilliant acting...especially from Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret. She was quite a woman. Didn't realise her affair with Roddy Llewellyn lasted for 8 years.

My only gripe with the third series was too much was missed out...especially Princess Anne's attempted kidnapping and also her first wedding in 1973. Noticeable how Edward and our old friend Prince Andrew have been missing from any episodes.

Looking forward to the final series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Brilliant acting...especially from Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret. She was quite a woman. Didn't realise her affair with Roddy Llewellyn lasted for 8 years.

My only gripe with the third series was too much was missed out...especially Princess Anne's attempted kidnapping and also her first wedding in 1973. Noticeable how Edward and our old friend Prince Andrew have been missing from any episodes.

How could they leave that out ?

Princess Ann was fearless 

Poor Edward

Now there was a misunderstood soul

He spent a term here in Wanganui durring his gap year (before we called them gap years)

And he's turned out quite well in the end, kids seem nice and spent lots of time with Granny and Grandpa, his wife is quietly popular and in favour with HM, he and his wife put in the hours and they have a nice work/ life balance 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Omitting the first wedding seems very strange. That marriage did, after all, provide the Queen's first grandchildren and, although they were never likely to feature much in the line of succession, there was a good deal of interest at the time. I could understand the second marriage being ignored, but not the first one.

I agree, Helena BC makes for a great Princess Margaret.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Omitting the first wedding seems very strange. That marriage did, after all, provide the Queen's first grandchildren and, although they were never likely to feature much in the line of succession, there was a good deal of interest at the time. I could understand the second marriage being ignored, but not the first one.

I agree, Helena BC makes for a great Princess Margaret.

Poor old Tim :lol:

You know he was out here last year i think with his work for the commonwealth war graves (i honestky can't remember) and it was zero news

Getting back to Ann, she really has had the most intetesting life, she deserves a feature length movie 

It really looked like a very pretty wedding

_38555541_anne238.jpg

I can remember way back when the media (well, it was "the press" then) really had it in for Princess Anne.  They've always gone in cycles of singling out a member of the RF to victimise.  It used to be Margaret, then Anne.  Princess Michael was a hate figure for a while, and so on.

Anyway Anne took no shit from the press, famously telling them to "naff off" more than once.  She got on with the job and earned genuine respect while quietly getting away with all sorts of stuff such as a divorce, marrying one of the staff, various minor offences etc.

A lesson that should have been taken on board by certain younger members of the RF, methinks.

• Like 1