Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little change from Song of the Day, and no, there'll be no polls or any asking to vote for a definitive song to class as everyone's favourite. This is just about me asking what your favourite song h

Thank you @Paolo's Circus Story for bringing this thread back. It's so interesting to see where I was a year ago in comparison to now. Crazy to think since then I've met the lovely @tie that bind and

For me this years best performance by Bruce Springsteen was his wonderful version of Prince's Purple Rain from Brooklyn

Posted Images

im tempted to say Rhindstone cowboy but i havn't seen the movie.yet so ill go with moonlighting motel - the live version

as for the decade

well the 78 intro did come back :)

According to Spotify my top streamed song of the year was Hello Sunshine - and yes I agree - such a beautiful song and so fresh and different right out of the box

Easily one of the top songs of the year and is always in the soundtrack that floats around my head 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 12:24 AM, jackofnotrades said:

According to Spotify my top streamed song of the year was Hello Sunshine - and yes I agree - such a beautiful song and so fresh and different right out of the box

Easily one of the top songs of the year and is always in the soundtrack that floats around my head 

My #1 song on Spotify was Something In The Night it said.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
8 hours ago, Mumford said:

Probably something from The Ghost of Tom Joad or the Nebraska album.

Those have played a big role for me this year. 

Young Mumford's back. Welcome to the Lake. I said this on the other thread you posted on and then the board went down and we lost some post. But after your last post, I check out your profile. 14 Years Old? WOW! 

On 12/16/2019 at 4:49 PM, Jimmy James said:

Young Mumford's back. Welcome to the Lake. I said this on the other thread you posted on and then the board went down and we lost some post. But after your last post, I check out your profile. 14 Years Old? WOW! 

Thanks for the welcome, i have not been on the lake for too long but I totally love this place, as a 14 year old it's difficult finding people with a good taste in music so it's great to be able to talk with fellow Springsteen fans.

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I know I'm a couple days late but....

After getting Brucebumps, teary eyed and pulled over by the cops. 

Daisey  Will love this. Happy New Year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 9 months later...
On 1/4/2020 at 8:01 AM, Jimmy James said:

I know I'm a couple days late but....

After getting Brucebumps, teary eyed and pulled over by the cops. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:04 AM, jmw said:

Daisey  Will love this. Happy New Year.

I completely missed this

I wonder what he was listening to ?

20 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I completely missed this

I wonder what he was listening to ?

I have no idea what I was listening to there! It's blank on my screen also! 

Can you image that was before the world turned to shit! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I have no idea what I was listening to there! It's blank on my screen also! 

Can you image that was before the world turned to shit! 

Now that you mention it, its weird to think what we were thinking about and doing back then? before the new nornal of hand sanatizer and masks :(

But it don't be like this for ever 

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2017 at 5:29 AM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

IHaha, I listen to music more or less constantly. I had 26902 plays this year total, which is a little less than last year but a little more than the year before that - but definitely the 15777 for Bruce is the most I've ever listened to one artist. Over half of my plays this year all going to Bruce is an absolutely huge % that's nothing like I've had any other year before 

~~

Reveal hidden contents

98. Radio Nowhere [59 plays]

98. My Hometown [59]

98. Loose Ends [59]

96. Walk Like A Man [60] - I pretty much never listen to this song on its own (I respect it and really appreciate what it brings to the table lyrically, but musically I'd prefer most others on the album with little reason to pick out this one) so this reaaally shows how much I listened to the TOL album. I listened to it a bunch early this year. Like start to finish multiple times a day sometimes. No emotional reason for that; I just fell in love with the album.

96. Mansion on the Hill [60]

95. Further On (Up The Road) [61] - A little surprised it's not higher! I bet it would be for 2015. I can put this song on pretty much any time.

92. Code of Silence [62]

92. This Is Your Sword [62]

92. Human Touch [62]

91. The Long Goodbye [63] - A little surprised this one isn't higher, too - I listened to the last few tracks of Human Touch a lot - but I guess it makes sense now that I think about it, especially seeing where Walk Like A Man ranks, since I don't really listen to this one on its own.

89. Roll of the Dice [64]

89. Independence Day [64] - Mostly comes from listening to The River so much with the tour.

86. I Wanna Marry You [65] - Mostly comes from listening to The River so much with the tour. Probably gets a few less plays from River listens than Independence Day just because I often put on the first 4 songs and might stop before this one, but then a few more to offset it because I loved the Chicago version.

86. Leap of Faith [65] - Might be a little higher if late 2015 were factored in, I think.

86. Night [65] - This should be higher!! I'm not massively surprised it's not, but come on, me.

80. Fade Away [66] - Surprised this is higher than Independence/Marry, and a few of the others, too. I never listen to this one on its own.

80. Frankie Fell In Love [66]

80. Held Up Without A Gun [66]

80. Johnny 99 [66] - One of my all-time favorites! But Nebraska, while I love it, isn't the kind of album sitting around listening to all the time I guess. Still, a little surprised it's not a little higher.

80. Talk to Me [66]

80. The E Street Shuffle [66]

78. Heaven's Wall [67] - Raise your hand, raise your hand, raise your hand!

78. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) [67] - Wow I am surprised this is higher than some of the others. I don't even particularly like this one. I guess I just listen to The River that much. Plus it's so short that I can probably sit through the bulk of it without even realizing I've done so I guess.

77. Trapped [68]

75. Born to Run [69] - Probably my second-favorite song of all time, just not the kind I can listen to every day -- when I listen to this one I want to LISTEN to it.

75. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out [69] - So apparently I have this song in there twice. I have the album version listed as Tenth Avenue Freeze Out while live versions are listed as Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out. So this is the combined sum of all live plays. Mostly these would come from the first Christic show and the 1999/10/23 Staples Center show.

72. Man's Job [70]

72. The Promised Land [70]

72. When You're Alone [70]

69. Chain Lightning [71]

69. Dream Baby Dream [71] - A little surprised it's so high, but pleasantly so, as I really like this one.

69. Secret Garden [71]

64. Drive All Night [72]

64. Factory [72]

64. I Wish I Were Blind [72]

64. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) [72]

64. The River [72] - would be MUCH higher if 2015 were taken into consideration. I listened to this song like 50 times in a week and a half at some point late last year.

62. Downbound Train [74]

62. My Father's House [74] - A little surprised it's not higher. I listen to both the album version and the Christic version fairly frequently. Or so I thought. I guess probably not often as background music so thatd be it.

60. Soul Driver [75]

60. Two Faces [75]

59. Atlantic City [76] - How is this not higher??

56. Hunter of Invisible Game [77]

56. Streets of Philadelphia [77]

56. The Ghost of Tom Joad [77]

53. Sugarland [79] - Huh, a little surprised this is quite so high, but I guess I do put it on pretty frequently and often listen to it multiple times in a row.

53. Something in the Night [79] - I love this song <3

53. State Trooper [79] - I love this song too <3 I was just singing it in the shower earlier

52. All the Way Home [80] - omg and this one <3 Huh I guess the moral of the story is I love a lot of my most-played Bruce songs. What a surprise.

49. Rendezvous [81] - Rendezvoussss

49. She's the One [81] - Okay if She's the One, Rendezvous, and All the Way Home are out we must be getting into some great stuff here, because I listen to those SO much. <3

49. Spare Parts [81]

47. Roulette [82] - Discovered this song this year and listened to it sooo many times in the couple days right after that.

47. Take 'Em as They Come [82] - Didn't know this song well til very late in the year, this shows how much I've listened to it in the last couple months. Probably a top 5 outtake for me at the very least.

46. Darkness on the Edge of Town [82] - A little surprised it's higher than some of the others, even though it's one of my favorites.

44. Ain't Got You [83] - Like I said, I listened to this album a LOT!

44. One Step Up [83]

43. Candy's Room [84] - My favorite song not off Born to Run. She has fancy clothes and diamond rings...

42. Reason to Believe [85] - A little surprised it's so much higher than My Father's House. Really not too sure where that comes from.

39. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) [88] - The aurora is rising behind us... Its play count definitely benefits from me starting to delve into live Bruce and finding a 1980 version I love.

39. Dancing in the Dark [88]

39. The Big Payback [88] - Hahaha what.

36. Thunder Road [91] - Possibly his best song. Come take my hand...

36. Wild Billy's Circus Story [91] - Underrated!

36. Whitetown [91] - The sound of breaking glass...

33. Night Fire [92] - ...and running feet. Super happy that this and Whitetown end up right next to each other. I listened to them almost exclusively as a pair for a while, then started to not do that so much - yet still, the play counts balanced out at the end.

33. All That Heaven Will Allow [92] - I was singing this in the shower, too! (...I wanted to get into a better mood after singing State Trooper.)

33. Stolen Car [92] - Wow, I'm surprised this is so high. Not complaining, but definitely surprised. I do like some of the lower ones a little more and definitely don't think of it as a song I listen to frequently. But I would have expected it to rank above DAN and Fade Away, so it does make sense.

32. I Wanna Be With You [94] - <3 <3 <3 One of the songs that got me into Bruce! Actually, at one point this year, it moved all the way up to become my #1 most-played Bruce song of all time. It was usurped, but I was thrilled to see it briefly occupy that slot, as this is a significant one for me on my road to Bruce fandom ans great, great fun even now. Love this song.

30. Cadillac Ranch [95] - Definitely bolstered by live versions! This song after those three ballads in a row... love it.

30. Harry's Place [95] - Would rank absurdly high for last year. I can listen to this one almost any time. Bring it on down to Harry's Place...

29. All or Nothin' at All [100] - Hell yeah! I want it aaaaaaaaaAALLL or nothin' at all!!!

28. Hungry Heart [101]

27. Ramrod [102]

26. Crush on You [103]

25. Wreck on the Highway [104] - Lots of River out in a row here!

24. Tunnel of Love [105]

22. Murder Incorporated [106] - Huh, a little surprised it's so high. But I do really, really like it. Still, would have expected it to rank below All/Nothin' and I Wanna Be With You, and maybe some others. Interesting!

19. Meet Me In The City [107] - I will probably always associate this song with my first Bruce shows! <3

19. Out in the Street [107]

19. Two Hearts [107] - To be honest, this isn't nearly one of my favorites. Just goes to show how much I listened to portions of The River!

18. The Ties That Bind [109]

17. New York City Serenade [111]

Heavenly perfection. When seeing this rank at "only" #17, keep in mind how long it is, too. For a 10-minute song this is a very large number of plays.

16. Jackson Cage [113]

You're reminded every night that you've been JUDGED and HANDED life - DOWN IN THE JACKSON CAGE!

13. Tougher Than The Rest [115]

Now like I've said, I love Tunnel of Love, I listened to it a lot at the start of the year - and this right here is a huge part of that. I love it as a transition into the rest of the album after Ain't Got You, I love how it starts to set up the album thematically, I love it as a song on its own both musically and lyrically. I am in no way surprised to see this near the top of the list - if anything, I look forward to scrolling more and seeing what all could possibly be above it.

13. This Hard Land [115]

Pretty damn surprised but pleasantly so to see this one so high: I only discovered it a few months into the year and it's not part of an album I listen through, so this one must have made it this high just for being that great a song I listen to that frequently. A fantastic, emotional story song wrapped up into a pretty digestible package with just the right amounts of hope and reality. Utterly fantastic song and goes without saying that it's an absolute high point of Tracks. If you can't make it, stay hard! Stay hungry - stay alive, if you can...

13. Breakaway [115]

I know this is a deep cut even among deep cuts, but oh my gosh, I LOVE this song. I love it and it's, like, a go-to pick for me to listen to when I want something relaxing, melancholy, something soothing at night -- musically this is such a great song and lyrically it's beautiful with its small but emotional snapshots that tell pure Springsteen stories in just a few lines each. "Let the hearts that have been broken stand as the price you pay to break away" - that's fantastic. (And the line works even better on here than on Badlands, I would say.) And the vocals! And the constant, rolling drumbeat, almost as steady and smoothly rolling as someone's breathing - my Gosh this is such a masterful, underrated gem of a song that I would put up there with some of the best. Oh how I'd love a full album show for The Promise...

12. The Price You Pay [116]

Rather surprised to see it rank here as it wasn't a huge favorite when I first discovered the album - but clearly that's changed. I'm happy to see that I apparently listen to this song so much - and I bet a lot of these, actually, come from specifically listening over the most recent couple months to Stolen Car/Ramrod/TPYP from 2016 shows. A very easy song to put on and get wrapped up in.

10. I'm a Rocker [119]

A very, very, very fun song.

10. How Can I Keep From Singing? [119]

"My life goes on in endless song, above Earth's lamentations..." I know he didn't write it, but such a beautiful piece of poetry.

And what he did do is record it... he and a lot of others. The first time I heard this song, my mind was blown - this sounds nothing like any other Springsteen song. To be honest, it hardly feels like a Springsteen song at all, it's such an anomaly: he didn't write it, it's from an album full of things he didn't write, it's a bonus track from that album, it's over in like two minutes - and he's just one voice out of all the ones singing together. This is really a unique thing across his whole body of work.

But it isn't just novel - the, like... I don't know, there's something at once dissonant and soothing about the way all these individual voices are singing this song. I don't know. All these different voices blending together into one thing - it's beautiful. And beautiful for the meaning of the song, too - all of them, in all of their different situations, taking solace or refuge from, or drawing strength from, or celebrating in, song. I love it.

Great, great track and this is like exactly where I'd predict it to rank. Often put it on repeat. One time is never enough.

9. Incident on 57th Street [121]

Like you need me to tell you how great this song is.

Oh, won't you tell me what's your name???

7. Devil's Arcade [124]

I've written at length about how important this song is to me. I'll just say one more time for the record that no song is more valuable for me personally than this one - and I'm thrilled that it has so many plays. For years, I didn't really listen to this song. This year, I gained - or realized I'd always had - the ability to listen to it as many times as I wanted either as a memory of the past or a beautiful, moving piece of music in its own right, and it still never loses that impact. I'm very happy I listened to this song so many times and still love it as much as I ever have. And I'll keep putting it on every sign until I hear it or until I stop going to shows.

7. Brilliant Disguise [124]

A fantastic, infinitely loopable song in its own right - great as soothing background music or as a song that pierces pretty deep emotionally - and it'd be unsurprising to see it this high or higher on anyone's list of most-played songs -- especially someone who listened to Tunnel of Love so much. If anything I'm surprised it's not even higher.

I hold you in my arms, as the band plays...

6. Valentine's Day [126]

The song that both concludes and makes one of my most-played albums of the year. Simply beautiful. It moves me every single time and brings the album to an utterly remarkable close.

5. Real World [127]

What do I even say about this song?

Say what you will about Human Touch or Lucky Town but if you ask me, two full albums of 57 Channels would be worth it for this song alone. Without question. It's so personal, it's so intimate, it's so raw... And guess what? It's the album version I fell in love with first. I absolutely could not stop listening to that one from the music alone when I first heard it.

Then I paid attention to the lyrics and realized it was one of his best.

And only then did I discover the Christic shows.

Simply a fantastic song. Buried pretty deep in the body of his work but absolutely incredible if you are privileged enough to have heard it. Thrilled to see it so high on the list.

But wait...

What's that song I see?

That one I see far away?

That one I see down at the end of the alley?

It's been gone so long...

here it comes...

here it comes....

here it comes...

Here it comes...

Here it comes...

Here it comes --

4. KITTY'S BACK [137]

<33333

3. Lucky Town [149]

...To be honest, I'm a little less passionate about this than some of the others - but dammit, it's still a good one. I've put it on repeat a lot and while I've said this about other songs, this is one of the ultimate ones that I basically cannot listen to just once. It's catchy, it's sufficiently uplifting, it's fun. Its plays are a little inflated from a few times when I listened to it over and over and over - but fuck it, it's still a great song to loop that earns this ranking.

2. None But The Brave [177]

There's a reason I cried and fell to the ground when he played it in Chicago.

Nearly infinitely listenable. Some of the best sax anywhere in the E Street Band canon. Great lyrics, some of the most definitive Springsteen stuff you can find. And great, great vocals - and great harmony...

I might not rank it as one of his all-time greatest, but I'd rank it damn close, it's one of my all-time favorites to listen to, and it was one of my absolute dream live songs, and I was quite literally floored when I got it.

But my most-played Bruce song of the year is...

1. ICEMAN [196]

Like I've said about some others - when I listen to this song once, I gotta listen again. Great piano, great lyrics, great vocals that grow and grow as the song becomes more powerful... I never regret listening to this song and I almost always wanna hear it again. Another one I hadn't heard til this year and a great, great discovery.

So, as to the question of my "Song of the Year"... personally, I think I'd have to pick a few here. In terms of sheer live plays, it's Iceman. In terms of being, like, the intersection of a song I rank as an all-time favorite * a song I listen to frequently (Jungleland is probably my favorite song of all time but isn't even on here), it'd have to be Serenade - which was also an absolute dream to hear live - twice! I have to mention Meet Me In The City for its ties to my live shows. None But The Brave was my favorite moment from either live show and will forever be one of the happiest moments of my entire life - and it, along with Iceman, is a song I only discovered this year, making it a true Song of the Year. Valentine's Day has affected me very consistently, while Kitty's Back is, along with NYCS, the one whose placement on the list most impresses me: I've never looped it on repeat like I have Lucky Town (Iceman, I've listened to a bunch in a row, but usually that's not putting it on Loop; it's consciously going back and listening a few more times) - heck, I pretty much never listen to it consecutively at all, because Kitty's Back isn't the song to chase Kitty's Back with. Real World has been a fantastic listen throughout this year in its different versions (the outstanding Christic premiere was a 2016 discovery for me, too), and of course I'm thrilled about Devil's Arcade's high play count.

I would say if I had to narrow it down to as small a selection as possible, I would say my Springsteen songs of the year were Iceman, New York City Serenade, Kitty's Back, and Devil's Arcade.

Impressive young brucefan, 15777 bruce songs played.

There are 365 days in a year, 18 waking hours in a day and an estimate of 12 songs per hour, meaning 78,840 songs are possible, this is your target for next year, lol

xx

• Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, This is The Way said:

Impressive young brucefan, 15777 bruce songs played.

There are 365 days in a year, 18 waking hours in a day and an estimate of 12 songs per hour, meaning 78,840 songs are possible, this is your target for next year, lol

xx

Haha, it ultimately ended up at 15,868 actually, once I got a couple more plays synced into my library! Average of over 43/day! It was a great year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1