Greasy Lake Community

U2 in 2017 - Updated with 2017 Joshua Tree tour dates NEW DATES ADDED 6/6/17

VABOSSFAN

Kinda “meh” on the new album...only listened in the car so far, but kinda feels just like Somgs of Innocence.  Don’t think I could pick one song out as being unique to either album. 

2 hours ago, HelloNewman said:

I digitally spun the album yesterday. It's not bad, it's just really boring. And as far as rock and roll goes, that's the worst thing to be. 

I'm finding it gets better with each listen. Sounds boring initially but suddenly you find the tunes start sticking in your head.

My main criticism is that there is  too little musical content. The trademark sound is virtually absent to the point it sounds like a Bono solo album.  

Absolutely loving the new album. My favorite songs are tracks 10,11,12. That's when you know it's a good album when songs near the end are so good. I thought songs of innocence had great songs with great melodies and singing but musically they didn't take any risks and it sounded too produced. They've solved that problem on the new album. You could have a discussion about every song and everyone will have different favorites I think. 

We love you U2, don't go away and keep coming back

14 hours ago, EireBruce said:

Absolutely loving the new album. My favorite songs are tracks 10,11,12. That's when you know it's a good album when songs near the end are so good. I thought songs of innocence had great songs with great melodies and singing but musically they didn't take any risks and it sounded too produced. They've solved that problem on the new album. You could have a discussion about every song and everyone will have different favorites I think. 

We love you U2, don't go away and keep coming back

Listened to it a few more times since making my post above. Yep, it's great album but a bit of slow burner. Needs to be played loud. 

After a few more days listening to it I decided to rank the songs on the album out of 10.

Love is all we have left - 7

Lights of home - 10

You're the best thing about me - 9

Get out of your own way - 8

American soul - 5

Summer of love - 7

Red flag day - 10

The showman - 6

The little things that give you away - 9

The landlady - 9

The blackout - 9

Love is bigger than anything in its way - 9

13 (there is a light) - 7

The opening and closing tracks were nice ways to start and finish the album I thought. I actually prefer american soul to its predecessors volcano and get on your boots but I don't think we needed another song like that (musically anyway). The second half is especially strong. It was a good sign when it was announced that there was going to be 13 songs on the album because any duds would surely have been removed to shorten the album. As a fan, I'm definitely pleased with the album.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Standing is £70 

seat range from 35 to 190 

red zone is 270 

it took a bit of searching, it’s annoying isn’t it!! 

Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a standing ticket.   Don't want a seat. 

I daresay they will add some extra dates once these are sold.  Last time there were also ticket drops later on for the O2.

12 hours ago, AMIW said:

now who do you think Paul McGuinness got that idea from?

They all seem to do it now. 

I don't understand why it's not disclosed until the last minute.  If you're buying for other people too, you need to discuss and agree the options beforehand.

I resorted to the Royal Albert Hall Facebook messaging to get the prices for Robert Plant. They first tried to fob me off with the "range" of prices but when I persisted they gave me a very detailed breakdown, including accessibility information.  That factor alone is important to many people.

Yeah I know people were buying them at the box office on show night last time.

i guess they will add more dates , I think that they did 4 or 6 shows at the o2 last time, as they were in pairs of nights weren’t they.  But I don’t know if they added much to the USA dates did they? 

Time will tell I guess. 

They did six shows at the O2, but I can't remember how many were originally advertised.

ETA - Found it, there were four shows at first, then another was added some time later swiftly followed by a sixth.

They were in pairs, that's right and the original plan was that the paired shows would be different in content, but that idea got ditched.

Looking back to the old thread, I see that I could have had a Level 1 seat for around £100 in the first sale, but didn't take it.

I got the standing ticket I was after when the fifth show went on sale.

Anyway, there seems to be plenty of room for extra O2 dates again.

The new official video for 'get out of your own way' is quite interesting. Anyone any thoughts on it?

Talk about nailing their colours to the mast. Whether I disagree with them or not, I prefer that they do it this way rather than just sitting on the fence and being afraid to upset anybody.

Be interesting to see how many more shows are added given the marked hike in seat prices from the I+e tour. Don't think anymore have been added in America. NY seems to have loads of the top price tickets left. Suspect Manchester & London will have at least one more though.