Greasy Lake Community

U2 in 2017 - Updated with 2017 Joshua Tree tour dates NEW DATES ADDED 6/6/17

VABOSSFAN

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, ukjohnney said:

Perhaps they will prank everyone and play Rattle and Hum instead . 

I'd take that. In fact, I'd be pumped. The Rattle And Hum movie and album is what introduced me to U2. And it would tie in well as the thirtieth anniversary of the Lovetown tour which is what Australia got during the JT / R&H phase all those years ago.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:05 AM, Bosstralian said:

I'd take that. In fact, I'd be pumped. The Rattle And Hum movie and album is what introduced me to U2. And it would tie in well as the thirtieth anniversary of the Lovetown tour which is what Australia got during the JT / R&H phase all those years ago.

Rattle & Hum is often mocked but there is an incredible album of songs in there. Heartland, Hawkmoon 269, Love Rescue Me, Angel of Harlem, All I want is You, God Part II, Desire.

Had they instead worked that out to a standalone full new album, instead of including what were pretty pointless live songs and self indulgence then it would have been huge. They could have released Rattle and Hum as a standalone documentary/live album.

Discounting those pants, Bad on Rattle and Hum is simply magnificent. Man, could he sing back then:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HelloNewman said:

Rattle & Hum is often mocked but there is an incredible album of songs in there. Heartland, Hawkmoon 269, Love Rescue Me, Angel of Harlem, All I want is You, God Part II, Desire.

Had they instead worked that out to a standalone full new album, instead of including what were pretty pointless live songs and self indulgence then it would have been huge. They could have released Rattle and Hum as standalone documentary/live album.

Discounting those pants, Bad on Rattle and Hum is simply magnificent. Man he could he sing back then:

That is a great performance and one of the reasons I'm a fan. Never seen it live in person, I hope it's retained in the set for the upcoming shows. 

I agree regarding the new music on R&H. In fact, even if they'd split the record so that one disc was the new material and the other disc live it might have been better. I'm more tolerant of the live cuts, if only for the reason it gave us the amazing choir version of Still Haven't Found.

Love Rescue Me is a hidden gem, still among my U2 Top 5

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 6:37 PM, Lampi said:

-Unpopular opinion-:

The Unforgettable Fire is the greatest U2 album.

Then is might me of interest (or maybe not)  2 x coloured vinyl reissues including the 35th anniversary of the aforementioned album and also one 20 years younger too! 

https://www.u2.com/news/title/anniversary-vinyl-specials

out next mouth I think. 

15 hours ago, bbb said:

Even more unpopular:

The greatest U2 album is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb 

Not sure about greatest, but my opinion of that album does seem to also be a fair bit higher than the average U2 fan's

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bbb said:

Even more unpopular:

The greatest U2 album is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb 

1 hour ago, Bosstralian said:

Not sure about greatest, but my opinion of that album does seem to also be a fair bit higher than the average U2 fan's

How To...is solid U2 and maybe the album where U2 the most sound like U2, if that makes sense.

Nothing really new, nothing adventurous (they did that allready on previous albums and not always with good results)  but also nothing bad at all. An album to listen to and enjoy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

4 hours ago, Lampi said:

How To...is solid U2 and maybe the album where U2 the most sound like U2, if that makes sense.

Nothing really new, nothing adventurous (they did that allready on previous albums and not always with good results)  but also nothing bad at all. An album to listen to and enjoy.

I was listening to this podcast, where they get a political writer or somebody in that world, and talk about one band for 3-4 hours.  They went album by album, and the way they were sounding was that U2 was over by 2000, etc.  Nothing good came after that, etc.

But, they got to Atomic Bomb and because they all had recently listened to all the albums to refresh themselves, they all said they've changed their minds on it!

u2 political beats.jpg

• 4 months later...

A week and a bit till I see my third U2 show and finally get to experience this full Joshua Tree concert.

Never seen Bad live, I see they included that at the Auckland debut show tonight. Please please please keep it until Adelaide

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

A week and a bit till I see my third U2 show and finally get to experience this full Joshua Tree concert.

Never seen Bad live, I see they included that at the Auckland debut show tonight. Please please please keep it until Adelaide

I was just wondering who might be going to these shows,  hope those who do go all have a great time  it’s a great show, seems weird that I have seen and an innocence and experience show last year since this JT tour was in the Uk in 2017!

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Just pulled up the setlist for today's show. That is quite the list. 

Everyone should be happy with this. Even @Daisey Jeep

talk about click bait :lol:

its a really lovelly venue, i hope the fans enjoyed them selves as much as i have the 3 times i have been there to see Bruce

i knew 6 songs (which is completely different to liking 6 songs...)

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Just pulled up the setlist for today's show. That is quite the list. 

Everyone should be happy with this. Even @Daisey Jeep

Well maybe @Daisey Jeep  didn’t / doesn’t like it ,  but that brings back some wonderful memories from twickenham in July 2017 , not exactly the same but not far off.   The opening 8 songs in that order and context are awesome! 

• Like 1

We here in St. Louis missed the Joshua Tree tour, as two days before the show, a police officer how shoot and killed a person was found out guilty of murder, which started riots in the street for days. And U2 cancelled the show in support of the riots????:wacko:

But we did the next tour which we went to and it was also amazing. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Well maybe @Daisey Jeep  didn’t / doesn’t like it ,  but that brings back some wonderful memories from twickenham in July 2017 , not exactly the same but not far off.   The opening 8 songs in that order and context are awesome! 

plenty of other people had a good time ;)

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/117287456/u2-in-auckland-just-four-geniuses-making-noise-to-a-stadium-of-happy-fans

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

We here in St. Louis missed the Joshua Tree tour, as two days before the show, a police officer how shoot and killed a person was found out guilty of murder, which started riots in the street for days. And U2 cancelled the show in support of the riots????:wacko:

But we did the next tour which we went to and it was also amazing. 

they had a rather long bit on the news

i would have had a politically induced spontaneous combustion due to all the hero worshiping of left wing NZ politicans :angry:

(am i still allowed to say that? :lol:)

here's another glowing review

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/entertainment/review-u2s-sold-auckland-concert-glittering-mix-music-and-cinema

4 minutes ago, bbb said:

No, you'll offend the friends who no longer came here because of a forum that they would have to ask permission to even see.  

hay! nice to see you :)

im not even sure what im doing in here :D

its possibly i would not have even known U2 were even here without being drawn into this thread :lol:

30 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

hay! nice to see you :)

im not even sure what im doing in here :D

its possibly i would not have even known U2 were even here without being drawn into this thread :lol:

Are you saving your pennies for Cold Chisel's one and only NZ show next year? :)

http://www.coldchisel.com/blood-moon-tour-2020/

Where is that place (Tauranga) in NZ anyway?