Tom-Joad

What series are you watching?

After watching this week's episode of Sherlock I feel like the show is just one giant middle finger to the characters, the fans of the characters and intelligence. 

28 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

I've just started watching Bloodline. I quite liked the first episode. Is it consistent throughout the season?

I thought the first season was really, really good.  Ben Mendelssohn was particularly great.  For some reason, I haven't been able to get into season 2 so much.  I think I saw the first 2-3 episodes and simply haven't gone back to finish.  

I actually think they told all the story they needed to tell in the first season, so watch that and then stop!  Haha!

7 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

After watching this week's episode of Sherlock I feel like the show is just one giant middle finger to the characters, the fans of the characters and intelligence. 

That's a crying shame.  I had REALLY enjoyed that show.

1 minute ago, Pastor Jeff said:

I thought the first season was really, really good.  Ben Mendelssohn was particularly great.  For some reason, I haven't been able to get into season 2 so much.  I think I saw the first 2-3 episodes and simply haven't gone back to finish.  

I actually think they told all the story they needed to tell in the first season, so watch that and then stop!  Haha!

That happens often. I many time wonder why sometimes they just don't stop after the first season. Of course I know why they do it, but still...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pastor Jeff said:

That's a crying shame.  I had REALLY enjoyed that show.

I really enjoyed the first seasons as well and I thought it would be impossible for me to like a "modern day" version of Sherlock Holmes. But this season they seem to have thrown it all away. It's like they weren't happy with the original characters and tranformed everyone into killer ninjas. Much like last week, I spent 90 minutes yelling angrily at my TV set.

Just to give you an idea, in this episode there was a scene with Mrs. Hudson (the widow of a drug Lord in this show) racing madly through the streets of London in an Aston Martin, running from the police, with Sherlock Holmes in the trunk after she had subdued him by taking a gun from his hand by dropping a cup of tea and outspeeding him as he reached for the cup and placed the gun on a table for half a second. 

25 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

I really enjoyed the first seasons as well and I thought it would be impossible for me to like a "modern day" version of Sherlock Holmes. But this season they seem to have thrown it all away. It's like they weren't happy with the original characters and tranformed everyone into killer ninjas. Much like last week, I spent 90 minutes yelling angrily at my TV set.

Just to give you an idea, in this episode there was a scene with Mrs. Hudson (the widow of a drug Lord in this show) racing madly through the streets of London in an Aston Martin, running from the police, with Sherlock Holmes in the trunk after she had subdued him by taking a gun from his hand by dropping a cup of tea and outspeeding him as he reached for the cup and placed the gun on a table for half a second. 

I need a Dislike button...

@Tom-Joad, I agree with Pastor Jeff.  S1 of Bloodline is terrific, I've been trying to get thru S2 and it just didn't grab me.  The show is basically wrapped up at the end of S1 with a minor loose end hurriedly stuck in so they'd have a reason for an S2 (they weren't sure they'd get it).  It's far from a cliffhanger and you won't feel deprived if you don't go on.  Ben Medelsohn alone is worth the show, really outstanding work by him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrettyRedRose said:

@Tom-Joad, I agree with Pastor Jeff.  S1 of Bloodline is terrific, I've been trying to get thru S2 and it just didn't grab me.  The show is basically wrapped up at the end of S1 with a minor loose end hurriedly stuck in so they'd have a reason for an S2 (they weren't sure they'd get it).  It's far from a cliffhanger and you won't feel deprived if you don't go on.  Ben Medelsohn alone is worth the show, really outstanding work by him

I actually have a bad feeling about the second season of Stranger Things for basically this reason. The first one had a beginning and an ending. Certainly they can re-visit, but I hope it doesn't feel too forced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cobalt said:

I actually have a bad feeling about the second season of Stranger Things for basically this reason. The first one had a beginning and an ending. Certainly they can re-visit, but I hope it doesn't feel too forced.

I couldn't agree more!  I truly enjoyed Stranger Things, but I am uneasy about a second season--I liked the ending of the first season.  Things were over... but not.  I'm a fan of ambiguity at times, and this was one of those times...

I agree with both of you gentlemen, both about Stranger Things and Bloodline.  I don't mind loose ends, in real life things sometimes end in a way that's not completely finished.  It's fine with me for TV series to do the same.

The Affair S3 - It is very soap opera and these people have way too much sex but I do certainly enjoy it in a switch off your brain kind of way.

I am also dipping into Seinfeld once more, following its arrival on Amazon.

Seinfeld 

This is my second run through of it. Love it. It's eerily similar to me and my best friends (I bet everyone says this but it really is true with us...and I'm not happy about it!). Just bought every season in one box for quite cheap so figured why not. Think I love it even more this time round than I did the first time.

onesheet.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PrettyRedRose said:

I thought S2 got better as it progressed. 

38 minutes ago, PrettyRedRose said:

I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks, RB.

Me too!

Homeland reboots Sunday - I caught the first episode last night courtesy of Comcast. It's a new beginning. I have to say, remember that when they wrote/shot this was months ago, and the conventional wisdom was that HRC would be set to become POTUS 45.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Homeland reboots Sunday - I caught the first episode last night courtesy of Comcast. It's a new beginning. I have to say, remember that when they wrote/shot this was months ago, and the conventional wisdom was that HRC would be set to become POTUS 45.

I haven't seen Homeland since the end of season 3.  Is it worth catching up?

21 minutes ago, Pastor Jeff said:

In my opinion, season 3 was rock bottom for the show. I think it got really better after that. I quite liked the last two seasons and I'm looking forward to the new one.

48 minutes ago, Pastor Jeff said:

Yes, if you like the Carrie and Saul characters

Okay.  Yeah, I thought season 3 was pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty bad.  I'll have to get on seasons 4 and 5...

Started wstching Sneaky Pete tonight.  First two episodes.  So far so good although did require a bit of suspension of disbelief.  Acting more than makes up for a few plot holes . 

5 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

IMG_0833.JPG

That's a pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good show!

• Like 1