Tom-Joad

What series are you watching?

On 6/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

F is For Family 

im really enjoying it

although personality alot of those bad words would have been umknown to me in 1973 !!

I really enjoyed Season 1 of that. IT went a bit downhill afterwards.

• Like 1

im watching this thing on your tube called the lige and times of Lord Louis Mountbatten 

its partially narrated by him and has a ton of really interesting historical  footage

i keep trying to get Gary to watch it but he knows who uncle Dickie is and who's uncle he is so he won't watch it but its a really interesting take on history from the 20th centuary

he shows us a family photo album from him as a small boy holidaying with the Tzar's family and its heartbreaking how closely related he is to then (the Tzar's wife was his mother's sister)

but while there is some great royal footage (David POW - latter Edward V111) visit to NZ & Australia) what is actually most interesting is Mountbatten's recollections of both world wars and his involvement in the royal navy

last night i watched episode 4 which has a speech he gave at a reunion dinner of the survivors of his ship HMS Kelly 

if you enjoy history or are a fan of the royal navy this is really interesting

this is episode one 

https://youtu.be/Ff6sH24DlQ8

Two new ones i'm straight into.

I Am The Night.

A true story of a girl who goes looking for her grandfather who turns out to be a  suspect in the Black Dahlia unsolved murder.This one looks really good.

Der Pass.

A German/Austrian version of The Bridge, a body is found murdered  in snow on the border.

Serengeti just finished its six week run on BBC 1, wonderful programme and the camera work was just superb, def a must see.

2 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Serengeti just finished its six week run on BBC 1, wonderful programme and the camera work was just superb, def a must see.

I can't watch programmes like this. I used to cry my eyes out when I was little if an animal was hurt - still do.

However, I turned on to that channel the other day and I think I saw a herd of elephants in water, going towards a little one in trouble? The narrator was saying that they all had to work together … and I switched over quickly.

What happened to the little elephant? I can take it … I think. :)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bettertohaveloved said:

I can't watch programmes like this. I used to cry my eyes out when I was little if an animal was hurt - still do.

However, I turned on to that channel the other day and I think I saw a herd of elephants in water, going towards a little one in trouble? The narrator was saying that they all had to work together … and I switched over quickly.

i hate when animals are starving

why can't the crew keep a trailer full of frozen chickens to help if these animals are so endanged why let them die ?

im obviously not talking about feeding meat to elephants but there are orphanages for all sorts of baby animals

14 hours ago, bettertohaveloved said:

I know what you are saying, but they had the remit not to interfere, and I think that is correct, still the best prog on tv this year.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

Started watching 'In the Dark' last night on Netflix.  I didn't realize it was a CW show until just now, which I'm glad because if I knew I probably would have passed on it.  Definitely not your normal CW fare.  It's about a blind woman named Murphy (her dog's name is Pretzel!) who tries to solve her young friend's possible murder.

Just watched the first episode.  This is great!  Not your usual set-up, but an interesting storyline and the dog is so sweet.  I don't think the mystery is going to be all that big a mystery though.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I know what you are saying, but they had the remit not to interfere, and I think that is correct, still the best prog on tv this year.

So … what happened to the calf?

22 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i hate when animals are starving

why can't the crew keep a trailer full of frozen chickens to help if these animals are so endanged why let them die ?

im obviously not talking about feeding meat to elephants but there are orphanages for all sorts of baby animals

I always think that too Daisey, but I think the good doctor is right. It is part of the remit that the crews don't interfere - you or I would never have made good crew members!

I have missed this series and, as there's bugger all else on at the moment, I'll catch it on iPlayer. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whispered secret said:

I always think that too Daisey, but I think the good doctor is right. It is part of the remit that the crews don't interfere - you or I would never have made good crew members!

I have missed this series and, as there's bugger all else on at the moment, I'll catch it on iPlayer. Thanks for the recommendation.

i would have been eaten by a lion or a crocodile by now 

but your right 

i couldn't do it

id be crying to much to hold the camera 

I've posted about it over on the Netflix thread, but I wanted to recommend it here.

Wentworth. Australian drama series about a women's prison where the staff is as criminal as the inmates. It's juicy.

th?id=OIP.lZWeT6nsZoU8aC6w0RAXJQHaEd&pid

I just finished season 5 and it was one of the most satisfying endings to a season I've ever seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, took me long enough said:

Just watched the first episode.  This is great!  Not your usual set-up, but an interesting storyline and the dog is so sweet.  I don't think the mystery is going to be all that big a mystery though.  

You'll have to wait and see!

I love Pretzel!

• Like 2

First two episodes of Barry on HBO. OK so far, not blown away just yet. I do find Bill Hader hilarious in general so..

8 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I've posted about it over on the Netflix thread, but I wanted to recommend it here.

Wentworth. Australian drama series about a women's prison where the staff is as criminal as the inmates. It's juicy.

th?id=OIP.lZWeT6nsZoU8aC6w0RAXJQHaEd&pid

I just finished season 5 and it was one of the most satisfying endings to a season I've ever seen.

I think the 7th season will be out on Netflix soon. 

• Like 2

I am watching the first season of The West Wing. I had to buy it on iTunes as I couldn’t find on any of the three streaming services I pay for. :angry:

I have recently developed an appreciation for Bradley Whitford. He is much more likeable as Josh than as Commander Lewis in The Handmaid’s Tale. A couple of episodes in and I realized that I had forgotten that Elisabeth Moss was also in TWW.

• Like 1

I enjoy when Bradley Whitford is on Bill Maher, he's funny and engaging and politically smart.  

Been checking Netflix constantly to see if In The Dark is on there yet, noticed after BD posting about it, musta been on American Netflix and that annoys the hell outta me that ours sucks in comparison - apparently it's on normal television here so it will be a while before it hits.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Season 7 is available.

40 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Argh, not in Canada. :angry:

I just read that it won't be available in Canada until november or December. I don't know how reliable that information is.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2019 at 9:51 AM, Marilla Gorilla said:

I just finished season 6. Wow! That was freakin' delicious. So many shocking moments.

This show buries Orange Is The New Black.

• Like 2

No Second Chance (originally on Netflix, showing on ch4 at the moment)

French with subtitles, set in Paris.

A woman and her husband are shot in their home and their baby is kidnapped.

it's gripping, you gotta binge watch, lots of red herrings and one hell of a jig-saw puzzle. 

wild Bill

i gotta confess im watching it purely for the eye candy that is Rob Lowe