Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

What series are you watching?


Recommended Posts

On 10/1/2019 at 9:45 PM, Rizla said:

I have started watching 'The Last Kingdom' as I gave up on it when it was originally on BBC.  Not sure why, I think it may have been a phase when I couldn't seem to watch anything for longer than about half an hour without dozing off.  Anyway there have been 2 more series since then and Netflix have put money into it, so I have started again from the beginning. 

I watched all three series of 'The Last Kingdom' and loved it!  Can't fault it.  Fourth series is imminent :)

In the meantime I embarked upon 'Vikings', which is somewhat similar.  Have just binged S2, which I thought was a bit better than S1.   I'll continue with S3 but from what I read the quality began to decline after that.  I have a problem in that I really dislike the main character, but am still enjoying it although not as much as 'The Last Kingdom'.

Don't bother with either if you can't stand the sight of blood ;) :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2020 at 10:38 PM, Perisic said:

I'm binge watching that. Not used to one episode a week anymore.

I tried binge watching but my brain was fried and I don't like the feeling of 'needing' to watch the next one. Then the next.

Once a week'll do me nicely … said the bishop to the actress - or was it the other way round?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, Eileen said:

I tried binge watching but my brain was fried and I don't like the feeling of 'needing' to watch the next one. Then the next

problem i have if im watching a few different progs it takes me 10 mins to pick it up again, another case of brain fry

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've watched the first two episodes of the documentary on Jack The Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe).  I cannot, for the life of me, believe how dated everything appears from the late 70s - early 80s.  Doesn't seem that long ago to me, yet it all looks ancient.  Amazing how the bloke who sent the tape and letters to George Oldfield threw everyone off the scent of the real murderer for a while and it seems that no one wanted to stand up and say this 'Wearside Jack'  may NOT be the person we're looking for. It's horrible, but fascinating as I remember it very well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2020 at 2:22 PM, janeymarywendy said:

We've watched the first two episodes of the documentary on Jack The Ripper (Peter Sutcliffe).  I cannot, for the life of me, believe how dated everything appears from the late 70s - early 80s.  Doesn't seem that long ago to me, yet it all looks ancient.  Amazing how the bloke who sent the tape and letters to George Oldfield threw everyone off the scent of the real murderer for a while and it seems that no one wanted to stand up and say this 'Wearside Jack'  may NOT be the person we're looking for. It's horrible, but fascinating as I remember it very well.

sadly i do remember it all to well he died last year the b******  Wearside Jack, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2020 at 9:05 AM, Eileen said:

Silent Witness and Cold Feet are back. Marvellous!

Finally managed to watch the first of the Deadwater Fell series … looks like it'll have me watching til the end.

I finished Deadwater Fell last night.  Watched it on catch-up as I'd forgotten exactly what night it was on!

Damp squib, I'm afraid.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

I finished Deadwater Fell last night.  Watched it on catch-up as I'd forgotten exactly what night it was on!

Damp squib, I'm afraid.  

I enjoyed it. I like it when I'm not sure who did what til the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Rizla said:

Inside No. 9 new series starts tonight.  BBC2 10 pm.

A brilliant start with David Morrissey and Ralf Little guesting as football officials.  I will be watching this one again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Rizla said:

A brilliant start with David Morrissey and Ralf Little guesting as football officials.  I will be watching this one again.

Oh dear. I thought I'd watch this and have just enjoyed a good laugh … only to read this again and wonder which episode I clicked on! Hahaha!  'My' episode was where they were playing 'sardines'. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

Oh dear. I thought I'd watch this and have just enjoyed a good laugh … only to read this again and wonder which episode I clicked on! Hahaha!  'My' episode was where they were playing 'sardines'. :D

That was the very first episode in S1 ! :D  All episodes from S1 - 4 are currently up on iplayer, so now's the time to catch up on any you missed.
 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/feb/03/shock-horrors-how-inside-no-9-makes-the-mundane-unmissable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eileen said:

Thanks! Must have been something good on the other side cos I missed these.

Haven't you seen any of them?  Oh what a treat you have in store!
It is a proper anthology with every one a standalone piece, and there is a great deal of variety including some very dark ones, so some might not be your cup of tea.  But there are some absolute gems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rizla said:

Haven't you seen any of them?  Oh what a treat you have in store!
It is a proper anthology with every one a standalone piece, and there is a great deal of variety including some very dark ones, so some might not be your cup of tea.  But there are some absolute gems. 

The thing is - it's the kind of thing I'd watch so I must have seen some of them … I'll try to remember to take a look. That sardines one did look familiar. I watched the ref one - oh my, language Timothy! I was going backwards and forwards so didn't get the gist of what happened out on the pitch. So-so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Eileen said:

The thing is - it's the kind of thing I'd watch so I must have seen some of them … I'll try to remember to take a look. That sardines one did look familiar. I watched the ref one - oh my, language Timothy! I was going backwards and forwards so didn't get the gist of what happened out on the pitch. So-so.

I don't think you can judge a programme fairly if you don't sit and watch it from beginning to end, giving it your undivided attention.  These are not sitcoms, they are short dramas, tightly structured and written, with cleverly placed clues and reveals.  I noticed one of the few (maybe the only) negative comments below the Guardian article came from someone who'd apparently gone to the kitchen to make coffee while it was on.  :rolleyes:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...