Tom-Joad

What series are you watching?

On 2/3/2020 at 11:08 AM, janeymarywendy said:

I finished Deadwater Fell last night.  Watched it on catch-up as I'd forgotten exactly what night it was on!

Damp squib, I'm afraid.  

tried starting deadwater fell last night but all4 wouldnt play ball, wife needs subtitles and they are a pain on all4 is it worth trying again?

50 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

tried starting deadwater fell last night but all4 wouldnt play ball, wife needs subtitles and they are a pain on all4 is it worth trying again?

It IS good, and the acting is very good, but I like dramas where you think to yourself, 'I didn't see THAT coming'.  This series wasn't one of those (my opinion only :)).  I thought David Tennant played his part well though and the scenery is great!

On 1/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, BrilliantDisguise said:

Watched Episode 1 and 2 last night.  Excellent so far.

image.thumb.png.16516176b78ecde94a7400caed579f13.png

Anyone still watching this?   It's slower than an geriatric snail carrying bags of heavy shopping.

• Haha 1

Thank you for pointing that out Rizla!  Fuck sake, thought they learned with True Detective 2 and so many higher expectations for his.

Brutally slow, have given up on it a few times.  

the new series of Top gear on bbc is brilliant great mix of presenters and so much better than the clarkson era which i gave up on 

also Undercover on bbc missed it when it was on but on player,  well acted  and i think with an eye on true events but not connected if you get my drift

On 2/13/2020 at 6:36 AM, stevie54uk said:

the new series of Top gear on bbc is brilliant great mix of presenters and so much better than the clarkson era which i gave up on 

Who are the presenters now ?

I was plesently surprised with Joey but then he didn't like being away from home so who do they have now ?

Anyone watching Ramy about the Muslim lad from the Egyptian family from NJ ?

Its not bad

A bit quirky and no laugh track

On a bit late though 

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Who are the presenters now ?

I was plesently surprised with Joey but then he didn't like being away from home so who do they have now ?

Freddy flintoff, Paddy McGuiness and chris harris, a good mix that works

• Like 1

The Pacific.

Yes, I know … I get there eventually. Got round to Band of Brothers only last year.

• Like 1

Watched the finale of The Good Place recently, and decided to go back and start again at the first episode... Glad I did... Really brilliantly crafted show it was.

9 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Watched the finale of The Good Place recently, and decided to go back and start again at the first episode... Glad I did... Really brilliantly crafted show it was.

I've tried to watch that twice, but haven't got past the second episode.

I couldn''t get into that show at all.  People always told me I'd love it, their philosophy content and philosophical quoting, not my idea of entertainment at all.  

Thought it was boring and dumb as hell.  

Did anybody here watch The Witcher? 

Having neither read the books nor played the game, I came into it cold.  I've watched two episodes (the first one twice) and my impression is that it's a load of tripe.

There, I've said it. :P

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Having neither read the books nor played the game, I came into it cold.  I've watched two episodes (the first one twice) and my impression is that it's a load of tripe.

We watched I think three episodes and axed it. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, Rizla said:

Anyone still watching this?   It's slower than an geriatric snail carrying bags of heavy shopping.

I'm still watching.  It's definitely slowed down but it still has my interest.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, Rizla said:

The Witcher TV series I found ok but I think they botched it a bit running the story on three different timelines.Having read the books helped but it was just too confusing for viewers coming in cold.

I love the games. All credit to CD Project Red who took a fairly so-so fantasy book series and turned into something really special. A work of art. The TV series is based on the books so in all honesty unless they make some serious plot changes it will struggle to sustain interest. 

The Witcher games in their entirety are actually as good as the TV Game of Thrones in terms of plot and world development. And the ending makes much more sense. 

Halfway through Flesh and Blood and I'm hooked. Great stuff!

13 hours ago, Demos said:

The Witcher TV series I found ok but I think they botched it a bit running the story on three different timelines.Having read the books helped but it was just too confusing for viewers coming in cold.

I love the games. All credit to CD Project Red who took a fairly so-so fantasy book series and turned into something really special. A work of art. The TV series is based on the books so in all honesty unless they make some serious plot changes it will struggle to sustain interest. 

The Witcher games in their entirety are actually as good as the TV Game of Thrones in terms of plot and world development. And the ending makes much more sense.

I don't do gaming.

I wasn't even aware that there were different timelines going on, so that's how unclear it was.  There were far too many characters introduced too quickly, and keeping track of the names and places was difficult even with subtitles on.  Dialogue was all very plodding, and had nothing memorable.  I bailed out after the elves were introduced.  They looked ridiculous, like rejects from LOTR, and as for that demon creature with the horns .... it was so bad it was laughable.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, Eileen said:

Halfway through Flesh and Blood and I'm hooked. Great stuff!

Hmmmm. Not sure about the ending. A follow-on would be good.

Has anyone mentioned This Country on the BBC? I'm late to the party.  Hilarious and addictive.  Loads of awards and acclaim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Has anyone mentioned This Country on the BBC? I'm late to the party.  Hilarious and addictive.  Loads of awards and acclaim.

Yes, it prompts the occasional out-loud laugh from me.  Their facial expressions crack me up, how they keep so deadpan is beyond me.
The vicar is great too.
So sad about Slugs.  That first episode of the new series was very moving.

• Like 1

Thinkinh about finally taking everyone's advice and getting stuck into sex education

I had no idea Agent Scully was in it 

• Love Love Love! 1