Greasy Lake Community

What series are you watching?

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Thinkinh about finally taking everyone's advice and getting stuck into sex education

I had no idea Agent Scully was in it 

Yes! :D Don't rush to judgment on it, let it unfold and you will be hooked by episode 3 if not before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Thinkinh about finally taking everyone's advice and getting stuck into sex education

I had no idea Agent Scully was in it 

I've never seen the series but I follow her on IG. Her posts related to the show are NORTY.....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very belatedly I am watching The Tudors.  I'm halfway through, just finished S2.  It's currently on Amazon Prime, although I do have the complete series on DVD stashed in a drawer - a charity shop bargain :D

Enjoying it in spite of a few snags.  It's fictionalised, but I'm not bothered by the historical inaccuracies.
A lot of noisy sex which is clearly there for titillation, but gets a bit tiresome after a while. 

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is so not Henry VIII, crazy casting!  The chap who played the Duke of Buckingham would have been much more convincing as Henry, but JRM is eye candy which is obviously what they were going for.  Can't fault his performance, but he's just too handsome and nowhere near BIG enough.
Some other characters are very well cast and acted, so all is not lost.

The costumes and jewellery are to die for though.  Sumptuous is barely the word. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, Season three of "The Windsors" is different class.

Seasons one and two were hilarious, but this is next level.

Harry Enfield is awesome as Charles.

Episode four when he gets taken over by Satan...........:lol:

• Thanks 1

I bingefied tiger king on Netflix today. It's got everything you want from a netflix documentary, drone shots of forests, twangy guitar soundtrack, people speaking on phones from prisons, reporters outside provincial courthouses, the list goes on.

On 3/29/2020 at 12:49 PM, LostSoul said:

I bingefied tiger king on Netflix today. It's got everything you want from a netflix documentary, drone shots of forests, twangy guitar soundtrack, people speaking on phones from prisons, reporters outside provincial courthouses, the list goes on.

Is it a doco ?

Its on my watch list for the big cats

Its number one in NZ on the netflex top 10

On 3/29/2020 at 12:14 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

Honestly, Season three of "The Windsors" is different class.

Seasons one and two were hilarious, but this is next level.

Harry Enfield is awesome as Charles.

Episode four when he gets taken over by Satan...........:lol:

Thanks for the heads up

Its due here on friday on Netflex

I could do with a laugh and i love the Bee, Eugenie and Fergie characters 

On 3/5/2020 at 8:28 AM, MagicRatAFC said:

The new series of The Windsors is bang on.

First two episodes were funny as.

I don't think the new Harry is as good, but other than that it's been great thus far.

......just like the real one :(

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is it a doco ?

Its on my watch list for the big cats

Its number one in NZ on the netflex top 10

Yeah it's a series, in the vein of "Making a murderer"

Drone shot of the towns water tank? TICK!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, VABOSSFAN said:

Tiger King is some crazy stuff!!

Finished last night. WOW, I really didn't think people like that lived. 

It was so sad and disgusting, I had to keep watching. And needed to stick my finger down my throat a couple times.  

On 3/28/2020 at 7:49 PM, LostSoul said:

On 3/28/2020 at 11:46 PM, VABOSSFAN said:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

It was so sad and disgusting, I had to keep watching. And needed to stick my finger down my throat a couple times.  

I'm afraid to watch this.  Is it very disturbing?

I see this is available thru my cable system

A rich family takes control of one of the world’s two superpowers and rules for generations with the aid of a compliant Senate. 

https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2020/04/02/why-you-should-be-watching-i-claudius

That is not the plot of a 21st-century political satire but of “I, Claudius”, a British television drama of the 1970s about the Roman imperial family, based on novels by Robert Graves.

The series features some terrific actors such as John Hurt (as Caligula), Patrick Stewart (as Sejanus, a scheming consul) and, in the title part, Derek Jacobi as the stuttering, lame emperor. Brian Blessed, normally a very hammy performer, is marvellously effective as Augustus. Siân Phillips plays his tricksy wife, Livia.

Apart from the acting, two things make the show a pleasure to revisit in isolation. The first is that this is just the right kind of history to dramatise: familiar-sounding but only half-remembered. Most people will have heard, if dimly, of Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Nero; the Roman Empire is still revered. Second, this is soap opera on a grand scale, featuring murder, madness, incest and betrayal. It is “Game of Thrones” without the dragons and direwolves.

The story is told in flashback by the aged Claudius as he recalls the (literally) poisonous feuds that engulfed his family and resulted in his unlikely ascent to the imperial throne. Indeed, he only becomes emperor because the praetorian guard needed a ruler to justify their existence, after the assassination of Caligula. In a speech to a doubtful Senate, Claudius says: “As for being half-witted: well, what can I say, except that I have survived to middle age with half my wits, while thousands have died with all of theirs intact. Evidently, quality of wits is more important than quantity.”

Many scenes stick in the mind 40 years after they were first broadcast. In one, Livia carefully explains to Augustus how she has poisoned him with fruit from a fig tree, as Mr Blessed stares in mute, unblinking silence for what seems like five minutes. In another, Claudius’s mother, Antonia, imprisons her daughter, Livilla, after the latter killed her own husband. As Livilla screams, Claudius asks, “How can you leave her to die?” “That’s her punishment,” his mother answers. “How can you bear to sit out here and listen to her?” Claudius says. Antonia replies, “And that’s mine.”

Gulp this down now, and you will need to make allowances. The 1970s were an era of limited budgets, so the series was shot in the studio; vast Roman legions are represented by half a dozen soldiers. But the story is so compelling that it overcomes these shortcomings. It is, above all, a meditation on the corrupting influence of absolute power. Place all authority in the hands of one individual, and society is at risk from his follies and petty jealousies. Even the well-meaning Claudius is betrayed by almost everyone he trusts and, in his dying moments, learns that his dreams of a restoration of a republic will be dashed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

35 minutes ago, JimCT said:

You do not know who Calvin & Hobbes are? :o 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Boy I'm setting myself here, but No. 

O.M.G.

You are literally the first person in the world that I have heard say that. Even my d found my "Complete C&H" and read it cover to cover.

You know nothing of a boy and his tiger? Where were you between 1985 and 1995?

You never saw this before?

lKK8EkGeIBmx.gif

• Love Love Love! 1