Greasy Lake Community

What series are you watching?

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted about it over on the Netflix thread, but I wanted to recommend it here. Wentworth. Australian drama series about a women's prison where the staff is as criminal as the inmates. It's j

If you're ever bored and need something to read, here's the BB thread.  One of my favorite moments on it is when @Power13's cable box quits the day of the series finale.    

Series 4 finished.  So, so good.

Posted Images

Finally got the chance to see "Good Omens" - a treat to see with Michael Sheen and David Tennant, even if I thought the latter's twisty strut as Crowley would do him a mischief:-) It's always a very good thing to see Miranda Richardson at work too - she's great!

On 4/6/2020 at 2:10 PM, JimCT said:

I see this is available thru my cable system

A rich family takes control of one of the world’s two superpowers and rules for generations with the aid of a compliant Senate. 

https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2020/04/02/why-you-should-be-watching-i-claudius

That is not the plot of a 21st-century political satire but of “I, Claudius”, a British television drama of the 1970s about the Roman imperial family, based on novels by Robert Graves.

The series features some terrific actors such as John Hurt (as Caligula), Patrick Stewart (as Sejanus, a scheming consul) and, in the title part, Derek Jacobi as the stuttering, lame emperor. Brian Blessed, normally a very hammy performer, is marvellously effective as Augustus. Siân Phillips plays his tricksy wife, Livia.

Apart from the acting, two things make the show a pleasure to revisit in isolation. The first is that this is just the right kind of history to dramatise: familiar-sounding but only half-remembered. Most people will have heard, if dimly, of Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Nero; the Roman Empire is still revered. Second, this is soap opera on a grand scale, featuring murder, madness, incest and betrayal. It is “Game of Thrones” without the dragons and direwolves.

The story is told in flashback by the aged Claudius as he recalls the (literally) poisonous feuds that engulfed his family and resulted in his unlikely ascent to the imperial throne. Indeed, he only becomes emperor because the praetorian guard needed a ruler to justify their existence, after the assassination of Caligula. In a speech to a doubtful Senate, Claudius says: “As for being half-witted: well, what can I say, except that I have survived to middle age with half my wits, while thousands have died with all of theirs intact. Evidently, quality of wits is more important than quantity.”

Many scenes stick in the mind 40 years after they were first broadcast. In one, Livia carefully explains to Augustus how she has poisoned him with fruit from a fig tree, as Mr Blessed stares in mute, unblinking silence for what seems like five minutes. In another, Claudius’s mother, Antonia, imprisons her daughter, Livilla, after the latter killed her own husband. As Livilla screams, Claudius asks, “How can you leave her to die?” “That’s her punishment,” his mother answers. “How can you bear to sit out here and listen to her?” Claudius says. Antonia replies, “And that’s mine.”

Gulp this down now, and you will need to make allowances. The 1970s were an era of limited budgets, so the series was shot in the studio; vast Roman legions are represented by half a dozen soldiers. But the story is so compelling that it overcomes these shortcomings. It is, above all, a meditation on the corrupting influence of absolute power. Place all authority in the hands of one individual, and society is at risk from his follies and petty jealousies. Even the well-meaning Claudius is betrayed by almost everyone he trusts and, in his dying moments, learns that his dreams of a restoration of a republic will be dashed.

I, Claudius is terrific. I remember watching as a child but didn’t really understand it. I watched it again in the 90s and really loved it. 
Here is Patrick Stewart as Sejanus. 

C1216D96-0D8F-4958-8DDA-D2A0AA0A7DE6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Very disappointed that my favourite daily series was curtailed to less that 20 minutes on Friday, with no interaction, and has been cancelled on Saturday and Sunday, hopefully it will return and be as entertaining as ever tomorrow.

• Haha 1

Just finished my rewatch of 'The Last Kingdom' in time for series 4 which arrived today :D
Looking forward to seeing more of Uhtred :wub:

In some ways I wish they had released one episode a week, but I shall limit myself to no more that one episode a day to make it last.

Sadly I don't know anyone else who watches this terrific story, and there will be online fans who have binged the whole thing on the first day, so there will be spoilers :(

Just finished watching BBC TV serie Normal People. Really liked it.  As a side-note: actor Paul Mescal looks very much like Sam Springsteen.

MV5BNzMzYmRiNGEtMDg5OC00OGZmLWFmNDktYzRl

• Like 2

Currently watching the second season of What We Do In The Shadows on FX. The first season is available on Prime. I love it. It’s like Seinfeld, except the characters are vampires. Hysterical. They live on Staten Island. 

E02C8FB2-5FB6-4E54-85C5-A60C241F70C3.jpeg

c600f5c67bbcb49d4478091c1cb84d20.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock Presents;
I have the first couple seasons on DVD,
and saw many episodes of the show (and of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour) on TV many many years ago (as in around 30)
But now some of the episodes are free on the Peacock Channel on cable (as well as the Alfred Hitchcock Hour)

I just saw three I don't recall ever seeing, I looked for the highest rated ones on IMDB;
Bang! You're Dead (S7, E2) - Billy Mumy doesn't know the gun he's got is not a toy, and the bullets are real too of course.
The Right Kind Of House (S3, E23) - starring the guy who was the Man In A Hurry from the Andy Griffith Show (my fave episode of that series) and the woman who played Granny Hart in Jess-Belle (The Twilight Zone). Very interesting, both of these were good, very good, but...
Man With A Problem! (S4, E7) - MAGNIFICENT! Fantastic, incredible! (starring Gary Merrill of All About Eve fame, with Elizabeth Montgomery as his wife)
Best ending in the WORLD! ha ha ha!!!!!!

I have to see more...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, TheBoss said:

Just finished watching BBC TV serie Normal People. Really liked it.  As a side-note: actor Paul Mescal looks very much like Sam Springsteen.

MV5BNzMzYmRiNGEtMDg5OC00OGZmLWFmNDktYzRl

Just finished watching this, really enjoyed it, great performances from the two leads.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 5:26 AM, Jimmy James said:

Finished last night. WOW, I really didn't think people like that lived. 

It was so sad and disgusting, I had to keep watching. And needed to stick my finger down my throat a couple times.  

we didn't get past the first epodode but it was number one in NZ netflex the first week of lockdown

• Like 1
On 5/15/2020 at 10:02 PM, soulcrusader78 said:

after a couple more Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes I had to see this masterpiece again:

06b9fc2552089a94d5b206d9e5774fb4.jpg

The JAR.

my sister used to stay up and watch these with dad 

• Like 1

Started watching the first season of Broadchurch again. Still a damn good show and Olivia Coleman really is magnificent in this.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started Boardwalk Empire last week. First 4 episodes so far have been really good. Terence Winter, the shows creator was one of the writers for the Sopranos so I’m expecting great things.

21 hours ago, Declansk said:

Just started Boardwalk Empire last week. First 4 episodes so far have been really good. Terence Winter, the shows creator was one of the writers for the Sopranos so I’m expecting great things.

Fantastic series. Wish I was seeing it for the first time again.

Been watching Suits since the last couple of weeks.Not seen before. Advantage of coming so late to the party is that now i can binge watch and finish the whole series..

Also, now that Western Stars is up on Amazon , i might watch that again