Greasy Lake Community

What series are you watching?

Oh, I have just settled down to watch the Billie Holiday film but it seems we haven't got the movie channel on this 'Now' channel. We probably didn't include it in our package and I'm certainly not going to press any more buttons just in case ... :unsure:

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're ever bored and need something to read, here's the BB thread.  One of my favorite moments on it is when @Power13's cable box quits the day of the series finale.    

I've posted about it over on the Netflix thread, but I wanted to recommend it here. Wentworth. Australian drama series about a women's prison where the staff is as criminal as the inmates. It's j

Series 4 finished.  So, so good.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, stevie54uk said:

Bloodlands on bbc with the poker faced  James Nesbitt, only 4 parts but good

I watched that on the TV. Yes, very good.

1 minute ago, stevie54uk said:

cant watch on tv  live so to speak nowadays wi;ll have to try and ignore line of duty for a couple of months

Have you not got a telly?

15 hours ago, Eileen said:

Have you not got a telly?

didnt explain meself right i only watch on streaming now cant be bothered with this week between,at my age it takes me ten minutes to remember what happened in previous episode ha ha

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

didnt explain meself right i only watch on streaming now cant be bothered with this week between,at my age it takes me ten minutes to remember what happened in previous episode ha ha

I wondered if that was the reason. I've never felt the need to watch anything (that's on tv at the time) that way. I can wait. If I pop my clogs before the conclusion, I'll wait around until somebody else joins me and they can tell me the ending.

;)

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just finished watching 'The Terror', which has been showing on BBC2 and is currently on iplayer.  I wanted to watch this a couple of years ago when it was on Amazon Prime, but annoyingly it wasn't available with the basic subscription.

It's a brilliant show, incredibly compelling - but not for the faint-hearted.  It's based on a novel which itself is based on a real historical expedition to find the Northwest Passage, involving two ships, the Erebus and the eponymous Terror.  Both ships were lost after being trapped in pack ice, and nothing was known about the fate of their crews.  It's hard to categorise it - historical drama, psychological thriller, and some horror/fantasy elements too as a bit of Inuit mythos is stirred in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin's_lost_expedition

Highly recommended if you can cope with some scary gory bits (you may have to watch some bits through your fingers :unsure:) - but you will come to really care about the characters.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Rizla said:

Highly recommended

yes great series although the monster was a bit iffy, but you can tell it was directed by Ridley Scott, reminded me of Alien 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

yes great series although the monster was a bit iffy, but you can tell it was directed by Ridley Scott, reminded me of Alien 

I tried and failed to get interested in it. 

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

I tried and failed to get interested in it. 

It's worth sticking with it.  There's a big cast and with almost all of them being men (and a lot of them with abundant facial hair!) it can be hard to distinguish them at first.  That does get easier though .....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rizla said:

It's worth sticking with it.  There's a big cast and with almost all of them being men (and a lot of them with abundant facial hair!) it can be hard to distinguish them at first.  That does get easier though .....

They don't know what happened to them.  I found it a bit of a waste of time - I'd rather watch something that actually went on.

You know ... like La La Land.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Eileen said:

They don't know what happened to them. 

Not entirely accurate now.  Both ships have been found within the last decade too.

Secret State, on Amazon Prime

2012 British mini-series - compact, 4 episodes

Gabriel Byrne, Charles Dance, et al. Very enjoyable.

I've just finished watching The Serpent, which was on BBC earlier in the year. 

The remarkable story of how murderer Charles Sobhraj was captured. As the chief suspect in unsolved murders of young Western travellers across India, Thailand and Nepal’s ‘Hippie Trail’ in 1975 and 1976, Sobhraj had repeatedly slipped from the grasp of authorities worldwide to become Interpol's most wanted man, with arrest warrants on three different continents.

I'd never heard of this guy before.  The story was horrible but riveting and had me on the edge of my seat several times.  Very good recreation of time and place with excellent performances all round.  I enjoyed the soundtrack too. 

I've just finished watching the Johnny Worricker trilogy on Netflix. Found the first one yesterday. Great stuff ... gorra love Bill Nighy.

image.png.4019dd9668e8a972951a179a41528238.png

I know this is quite a few years old, but we have only recently installed the channels that these programmes are on! (Or maybe it's that we've only just found them ;)).  This is so brilliant and the attention to detail is first class.  The fashions, the furniture, the boardwalk! Steve Buscemi, who was also in The Sopranos, gives the performance of a lifetime.  A few other faces from The Sopranos pop up too, and Michael K Williams (Omar in The Wire) as Chalky White is superb.  Oh, and Jack Huston as Richard Harrow (the man with the mask) is so, so good.  Unfortunately, it's even more violent than The Sopranos - calling @Eileen ^_^ - but i wouldn't have missed watching the whole 5 series for anything!

:DThanks for the warning, @janeymarywendy - I'll give it a swerve. Thing is, when they deserve it, ie, the blokes in Sleepers, it doesn't bother me so much.

I've got to watch any good things on Netflix cos I've told Kate to cancel mine at the beginning of next month. I can spend the fiver on the cats.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eileen said:

:DThanks for the warning, @janeymarywendy - I'll give it a swerve. Thing is, when they deserve it, ie, the blokes in Sleepers, it doesn't bother me so much.

I've got to watch any good things on Netflix cos I've told Kate to cancel mine at the beginning of next month. I can spend the fiver on the cats.

Oh, they all deserved it (well, maybe 90% of them ;)).  By the way, this, and some of the other stuff I've watched recently, was on NOW tv, not Netflix.  I'm now back to watching a series on Netflix though - third series of Schtisel :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Eileen said:

I've just started watching Ashes To Ashes - it's great!

Gene Hunt and Lindsey Denton, got to be a winner  :lol:

• Haha 1