Tom-Joad

What series are you watching?

On 1/20/2017 at 4:08 PM, Power13 said:

Doesn't hurt that I find Cobie Smulders pretty attractive, either....funny thing was that I first saw her in The Avengers and had no idea she had been a pretty big star from the show prior to that.

My son and his wife live in Manhattan, and a few weeks ago, they went to find a baby store they had heard about. They got to the area, but hadn't yet found the store. They spotted a woman pushing a stroller, and thought maybe she would know, so they approached her. She did in fact know, and cheerily gave them directions. It was Cobie Smulders!

I binge-watched Santa Clarita Diet (on Netflix) this weekend and I really liked it. It's really hard to come by light AND intelligent comedy nowadays but this one, for the most part, is exactly that.

• Like 1

I watched the first episode a couple nights ago.  I found Drew Barrymore's acting difficult to take and the show did little for me.  Judging by what I've read from some others, the show definitely has an audience, so good for them.  It's just not me.

Well, if you didn't like the first episode, I highly doubt you'll like the rest. So, yes, it may just not be for you. 

Oh, just finished season 1 of Bloodline. Very, very good! I know season 2 won't be as good but I'm going to give it a try.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:21 AM, Tom-Joad said:

I binge-watched Santa Clarita Diet (on Netflix) this weekend and I really liked it. It's really hard to come by light AND intelligent comedy nowadays but this one, for the most part, is exactly that.

I just watched episodes 6 & 7.  I wasn't sure what to expect heading into this one, but I always liked Drew Barrymore and I'm a fan of the 'zombie' genre.

I'm hooked...several laugh out loud moments in every episode so far. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillyB said:

I just watched episodes 6 & 7.  I wasn't sure what to expect heading into this one, but I always liked Drew Barrymore and I'm a fan of the 'zombie' genre.

I'm hooked...several laugh out loud moments in every episode so far. 

Episodes 8 and 9 aren't as good, I think. But then it picks up a bit with episode 10. Looking forward to season 2!

A friend suggested BBC's Taboo. I'm 2 episodes in and still unsure of what to make of it... It has a nice dark tone but it's a lot like a remake of The Count of Monte Cristo...

Being confined to barracks with lurgy since the end of last week, I've used the recuperative time to binge-watch "Fortitude".

By the cringe it was a fucked-up mind dreamed this bad boy up.

Interesting watch, mind.

• Like 1

I'm rewatching "Justified" on Amazon.  Fantastic show.

• Like 1

I like watching 60s shows.... Combat, Man From U.N.C.L.E., 12 O'Clock High, Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched...

Season 4 of The Americans dropped on Amazon Prime.  Hoping to get through it before Season 5 starts on FX in a few weeks.  

I only watch it when i am training, but I had a long bike ride on the trainer and another 30 min on the treadmill after, so I knocked out 3 episodes today!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustDan said:

I like watching 60s shows.... Combat, Man From U.N.C.L.E., 12 O'Clock High, Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched...

You forgot Genie, and the Rat Patrol, and Lost in Space

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustDan said:

I loved almost all of those, but I can barely sit through watching them now...with the obvious exception of Get Smart. I can watch that anytime, anywhere! :D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

I loved almost all of those, but I can barely sit through watching them now...with the obvious exception of Get Smart. I can watch that anytime, anywhere! :D

I popped an episode of "Hogan's Heros" on the other day, used to love it.

Suffice to say, it hasn't stood the test of time.

Unwatchable now.

Most shows from the 60s and 70s are hard to watch now except for the nostalgia value.  There are exceptions, of course. 

Schitts Creek. 

Funny. Sometimes very funny. With the added charm of 20 minute episodes so it makes a great filler.  On to the second series now and still enjoying it.

Great comic cast. Eugene Levy's delivery is hilarious.

Finally finished Weeds from Showtime.  The first 4 seasons were really good, but the. The series lost the plot and it descended into farce, IMO....actually gave up on the series a little more than halfway through, but for some reason I went back and started watching it again a few weeks ago. Of course, I kinda have a thing for Mary-Louise Parker, so that may have had something to do with it. :wub:

The Young Pope.  I loved it.  Thought Jude Law was great.  Over the top and ridiculous at times, but extremely entertaining, thought provoking, and at times surprisingly moving.  

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, Tom-Joad said:

A friend suggested BBC's Taboo. I'm 2 episodes in and still unsure of what to make of it... It has a nice dark tone but it's a lot like a remake of The Count of Monte Cristo...

A lot of friends keep telling me I have to watch this. You any further on with it?

Just now, the calvary said:

A lot of friends keep telling me I have to watch this. You any further on with it?

I've finished watching it. Honestly, it's a visually beautiful series with a very ill-conceived plot. It has no story and, to compensate, throws in a lot of stylised visions, violence and whispered dialogues as if to emulate substance. 

10 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

I've finished watching it. Honestly, it's a visually beautiful series with a very ill-conceived plot. It has no story and, to compensate, throws in a lot of stylised visions, violence and whispered dialogues as if to emulate substance. 

I really cannot be bothered with that. The description you've just given is the reason I don't watch TV very much. 

1 minute ago, the calvary said:

I really cannot be bothered with that. The description you've just given is the reason I don't watch TV very much. 

A lot of series, these days, emulate quality. They "look" good, but they're hollow. And there are just so many of them that it's hard to keep track. But there are some good things out there. Inside No 9 is one of my favourites right now. It's a bit inconsistent but when they nail it, they really nail it, and they often do.

I've also been watching Legion. I just can't stand superhero movies and series but this one, to my surprise, is really interesting. It looks like, with every episode, they're on the verge of ruining the whole thing, but so far they haven't.

Imposters, on Bravo (original series)

Interesting twists, and Inbar Lavi is easy to watch