Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

What series are you watching?


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Rizla said:

 But Stephen Graham deadpanned his way through as usual, sorry but I don't get why people rate him so highly. 

I thought he did well. There was no joy, just sheer worry - his tears in the van were, therefore, more heart-tugging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.2d02f60cc7988357c4add6d6d53b44af.png

Motherland, all three series (there was a Christmas special too?).  Loved it.  I thought it lost its way in Series 2, Episode 1, but it got back on track.  If you've been a parent at the school gates (or worked in a school!), then you'll probably relate to it :lol:.  Thanks @Rizla for recommending it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

image.png.2d02f60cc7988357c4add6d6d53b44af.png

Motherland, all three series (there was a Christmas special too?).  Loved it.  I thought it lost its way in Series 2, Episode 1, but it got back on track.  If you've been a parent at the school gates (or worked in a school!), then you'll probably relate to it :lol:.  Thanks @Rizla for recommending it.

Not being a parent, it shouldn't have been for me, but it was hilarious.  It was all about the adults and their personalities, although I did enjoy the way the school secretary, Mrs Lamb (!), bullied the parents. :lol:

My favourite line was Anne's reply to Amanda saying "You used to work in Gregg's, didn't you?" and Amanda's non-reaction. :lol:

If anyone does find the Christmas episode, give me a shout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Pact on BBC i-player.

image.png.1c4a67ef2a48f13c85afcc0c0d1f5bb1.png

We are three episodes in.  Keeps you guessing.  Lots of staring into space from the one in the middle :lol:.  A lot of these recent series remind me of Broadchurch (the camera work, etc).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ I rejoined that one for the last episode ... dire! :D 

I decided to watch the last episode of Before We Die last night. I'd watched some of the original, didn't like the characters, didn't like this lot either.  The main lass sounded like she was on a heavy dose of tranquilisers. 

Eeee, bring back the Scandi/French detectives!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Rizla - I think it was you who was telling me about Inside No. 9 ... well, I've started to watch it from the beginning. I love it! I was watching one episode last night and waiting for the young lass to be saved ... of course, she wasn't - this doesn't follow 'rules'. Great stuff!

  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

@Rizla - I think it was you who was telling me about Inside No. 9 ... well, I've started to watch it from the beginning. I love it! I was watching one episode last night and waiting for the young lass to be saved ... of course, she wasn't - this doesn't follow 'rules'. Great stuff!

There's such a wide variety of styles and subjects, so don't be surprised if a few don't hit the spot.  Some of them are quite layered, so if you pick up certain references you enjoy them more - for instance there's one where they brought in a character from another series they did which I hadn't seen, so I didn't appreciate it as much as those who had.  All very clever though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've started watching ER from the start. I still love Dr Greene! I'd forgotten how much it made me cry ... I've been sobbing almost all the way through Episode 2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had to renew my Vodafone contract which included an "entertainment" subscription, and am disappointed to find that they are no longer offering Now TV.  It was such a bargain*.  I don't watch it enough to be worth paying a sub for it, but it was nice to have if there was something I fancied watching.  No Netflix option either.  Choice reduced to Youtube Premium (whatever that is), Spotify, or Amazon Prime which I already have access to.  So just got a bog standard plan now.  :(

* well, a bargain with the discount my friend gets me, so mustn't grumble really.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

OK, here is what we have watched over the last few years! 

Ozark, Billions, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Goliath, Yellowstone, Queens Gambit and others like. 

What should be up next for us?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, here is what we have watched over the last few years! 

Ozark, Billions, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Goliath, Yellowstone, Queens Gambit and others like. 

What should be up next for us?  

If you liked 'Game Of Thrones', you might like 'The Last Kingdom'.  Really good series based on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon novels.  It's not fantasy (although there is a bit of witchcraft and the like), but it has all the political intrigue of GoT.
The first season was BBC and rather under-funded, but stick with it as it improved with Netflix money.  Four seasons with the fifth coming soon, which will be the final one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

If you liked 'Game Of Thrones', you might like 'The Last Kingdom'.  Really good series based on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon novels.  It's not fantasy (although there is a bit of witchcraft and the like), but it has all the political intrigue of GoT.
The first season was BBC and rather under-funded, but stick with it as it improved with Netflix money.  Four seasons with the fifth coming soon, which will be the final one.

Thanks, but we are through that one also. Also watched "Viking", which is about the same thing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Thanks, but we are through that one also. Also watched "Viking", which is about the same thing.  

OK.  I enjoyed 'Vikings' up to S4, but it went on too long and lacked the humour of TLK.

Of the others you listed, I either haven't watched them or didn't like them so not sure what else I can recommend.  What about 'Black Sails', have you done that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

No we haven't. Summary? What streaming service? May check it out!  

Black Sails is a prequel to 'Treasure Island' with characters like Captain Flint & Long John Silver, but also real historical pirates like Charles Vane, Blackbeard, Jack Rackham.  Four seasons.   Filmed in South Africa, very high production values and good cast.

It was on Amazon when I watched it, so you may find it on Starz. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rizla said:

Black Sails is a prequel to 'Treasure Island' with characters like Captain Flint & Long John Silver, but also real historical pirates like Charles Vane, Blackbeard, Jack Rackham.  Four seasons.   Filmed in South Africa, very high production values and good cast.

It was on Amazon when I watched it, so you may find it on Starz. 

Started Black Sails last night found it on Hulu. 2 episodes in. We only have standard Hulu so we have to watch commercials. :( 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Started Black Sails last night found it on Hulu. 2 episodes in. We only have standard Hulu so we have to watch commercials. :( 

Glad you found it.  Give it time to bed in, it's really good once it hits its stride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, Rizla said:

Glad you found it.  Give it time to bed in, it's really good once it hits its stride.

Hate to say this but we(wife gave up 4 episodes in) We moved on to "Your Honor" on Showtime, we did a free 7 day trial to get us to the end of Billions and continued with Bryan Cranston in "Your Honor". First and only season so far and maybe for good. Great 10 episode series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Rizla said:

Ah, you gave up just when it was about to take off.

The thing is if she doesn't care for it, I don't continue, as my TV time is sitting down with her. Unless I'm watching Football or Yankeeball 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

The thing is if she doesn't care for it, I don't continue, as my TV time is sitting down with her. Unless I'm watching Football or Yankeeball 

By Episode 4 I had been completely seduced by Jack Rackham :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...